Author Topic: Leah & Other Characters Discussion  (Read 132447 times)

Temari

Re: Bran & Leah Discussion
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2008, 12:30:51 pm »
I think a3kings had a very interesting point that any wolves over a hundred years or so old would have been raised in a time where marriage was very much for life and leaving not an option. I think it was Bran who said to Mercy that it's hard to change the values you were originally brought up with.

BigMama

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2008, 10:24:36 am »
From the confrontation during the first meeting with Anna, Leah certainly uses her position in inappropriate ways within the pack. I do wonder now, however, if the addition of an Omega is going to change Bran's view of his marriage. With Anna there to help control his beserker rage, he might certainly change his mind about the necessity of a loveless union.
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2008, 02:21:27 pm »
From the confrontation during the first meeting with Anna, Leah certainly uses her position in inappropriate ways within the pack. I do wonder now, however, if the addition of an Omega is going to change Bran's view of his marriage. With Anna there to help control his beserker rage, he might certainly change his mind about the necessity of a loveless union.

I was thinking the same thing. Do you suppose he'd try to make the marriage work or try to break the mate bond and find someone? How woudl that affect him politically, with werewolf society? Or he may leave things the way they are.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Reptyle

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2008, 11:27:06 pm »
Kings and other nobility in the past didn't always get to marry for love. "Heavy weighs the crown..." and all that good stuff. Bran's no different.

Bran, did what he did for the benefit of the pack, which is always his goal. They need a strong leader and he's given them one.

Additionally, Leah isn't totally lacking in the marriage. With her personality, it isn't hard to believe that some other wolf would have killed her years ago if she weren't under Bran's protection. Possibly another reason why he chose her...The Alpha in him still protecting those that need it most.
Hear me my chiefs. I am tired; my heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I shall fight no more forever.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2008, 11:32:53 pm »
Kings and other nobility in the past didn't always get to marry for love. "Heavy weighs the crown..." and all that good stuff. Bran's no different.

Additionally, Leah isn't totally lacking in the marriage. With her personality, it isn't hard to believe that some other wolf would have killed her years ago if she weren't under Bran's protection. Possibly another reason why he chose her...The Alpha in him still protecting those that need it most.

Now, that about Leah's need for his protection, that's a good point.  Although, I do think she'd have learned more circumspection or been royally whomped if she'd been married to someone lower ranked, and that might have been good for her.

As for Bran not marrying for love, it wasn't just rulers who didn't marry for love, it's been the norm through human (known) history that most marriages were for power or convenience of one sort or another.  Marrying for love is a modern aberration, and not universal, at that.  Consider Texas, earlier this year. . . 
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 01:03:19 am »
What happened in Texas, earlier this year??  ???
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2008, 12:21:22 pm »
There's a community of fundamentalist religious group who were pushing 15 (approx) year old girls to get into polygamous marriages with older men.  The parents arranged it.

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2008, 12:24:13 pm »
Are you serious?! Jeez. I can't even imagine... :o
Is that even legal nowadays??
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2008, 12:49:10 pm »
No.  There's a continuing mess about it for various reasons, you should be able to find it on the net with google-fu.
Basically, the men were legally married to 1 woman each, and the additional wives were 'single mothers'.

But you (to get back on topic) can see that the girls at least didn't have a lot of input, let alone having 'married for love.'

Reptyle

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2008, 04:52:11 pm »
Yeah, nothing that hits the media about Texas is ever good...It gets embarrassing to live here at times.  :-\
Hear me my chiefs. I am tired; my heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I shall fight no more forever.

a3kings

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2008, 01:05:27 pm »
I agree with nightangel. It is a very messy situation. I cant wait to see ow patty handles it. If she does. I do think that bran has some affection for her if very reluctantly. That still makes him a jerk

Tambayo

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2008, 05:17:46 am »
I agree with nightangel. It is a very messy situation. I cant wait to see ow patty handles it. If she does. I do think that bran has some affection for her if very reluctantly. That still makes him a jerk
Read p.292-293. He thinks he cannot afford tenderness and similar feelings for Leah. If he did feel such and lost her he fears the beast would break out again.

I think though feeling too little is just as dangerous as feeling too much. The balance lies somewhere in the middle, but finding it isn't easy. Maybe Anna being an omega will help. Did Bran have an omega in his pack before? If not that too may explain his distance too Leah, no one outside himself to fall back on.
Could that be why Alpha's are so volatile? Now the balance in most packs depends on the alpha's strength and something to protect (submissive wolves). But if you want something strong too lean on you need a tripod. Alpha/dominants, submissive's and omega's. Without an omega the alpha's need to compensate for that loss?

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2008, 08:46:07 am »
Interesting theory, Tambayo, but I was thinking that Omegas were a really rare phenomenon and that it was actually rare for a pack to have one, primarily because it would take an out of control insane were to turn an Omega personality. (Don't have exact reference, but I know that was said at least once.)

And I do get the feeling that Bran is nowhere near a "usual" or "normal" case for a were at all, much less for an alpha. I get the feeling that, for him and some of the other really old ones, especially Sam, the idea of "norms" should just be chucked entirely. Eh, that's my $0.02. When you adjust for inflation...  :P

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2008, 08:56:29 am »
You know, if they could find a human omega & just have them in town as general therapist, that would help.

a3kings

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2008, 09:35:37 am »
Read p.292-293. He thinks he cannot afford tenderness and similar feelings for Leah. If he did feel such and lost her he fears the beast would break out again.

I know what his reasons were for choosing leah. He feels its important not to tie his emotions down to one person. but just because he has his reasons doesnt mean that it makes the situation cool beans. It all depends on what leah agreed to when they got together. Did he keep her in the dark about what was and was not going to be part of the mating? What where leahs expectations about their future?