Author Topic: Leah & Other Characters Discussion  (Read 125857 times)

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
Re: Leah & Other Characters Discussion
« Reply #330 on: March 21, 2016, 04:49:39 pm »
I believe the term we're looking for here is "unreliable narrator". All of these characters see the world through the filters of their own biases and experiences. Given that we readers do the same thing, it behooves us to remember that no character or reader is omniscient, however ancient or appealing they may be.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #331 on: March 21, 2016, 05:07:51 pm »
Posted a link over at the Odds and ends. Info about Leah, and it pretty much puts a stop to a HEA between Bran and Leah.

http://www.hurog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6852.new#new

I just read this link from a few posts back, and some of the things Patty says about Bran and Leah are pretty close to what lostbird is saying.

mellinatre

• Tinker
« Reply #332 on: March 22, 2016, 03:58:59 am »
With Patricia Briggs I can't 100% hate most of the characters or supposedly villians... LOL probably this is what make me enjoy so much her books

I don't hate as much as some of you Leah because I am not sure about how much she is in this situation by her own doing, the point for me is that we don't know a lot about her and what we see it's like only a tiny % of what we should.

Oh don't get me wrong, I can and definetly do hate the majority of her actions but I can't find a point of view were I can say that she is only a bad person...like somone said before me she have done some little things that point out that she is capable of doing good deeds.

And like I already said about Bran and his relationship with Mercy, he is not the super-kind-and-totally-lovable-fella that the majority of the readers feel him to be....and if Bran have make so many bad decisions about Mercy or even Anna who am I to dismiss the thought that he could have make wrong decisions about Leah?
Taking in account that they had a longer relationship and so had many more occasions to actually do mistakes???

Bran is not the perfect mate for Leah so it is only understandable that Leah is not the good little wife for him..or so I think

there is a way of say here in my country that is "Volere la botte piena e la moglie ubriaca"...I try to translate it the best I can "Pretend to have the wine bottle full and the wife drunk"...naturally you can't have both things and this is simply a musterful example of this way of say....the relationship between Leah and Bran work because they both have take in account what they needed to give up some things to make things work...and put 100% of the problems on Leah's end of the bargain is actually unreasanable fo me...also because she wasn't the one in need to a mate to remain stable...

Their marriage was made necessary for Bran's sake, and Bran actually sometimes, and more and more lately, treath Leah like an unwanted intruder....he can't pretend to have a good little wife at his back or a decent relationship till they both don't try to work on what they can do to make things better

Bran need to change his actitude as much as Leah...and for me think that only Leah is in the wrong always is a too semplicistc view of the most complex reletionship that I have ever read in a book

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #333 on: March 22, 2016, 06:23:11 am »
This is a good view; not 100% Leah's fault; and we already know Bran makes mistakes, and isn't always nice, so simplistic black and white won't do it. 
In fact, forget 50 shades of gray, there needs to be a set of rainbows for who did/didn't do what right/wrong/contrary here.  We may need unnatural colors to lay it all out.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

lostbird

• Mechanic
  • (sigh....)
« Reply #334 on: March 22, 2016, 06:39:43 am »
Well said by all and agreed! I think I'm going to have to start pestering Patty about some Leah/Bran background. Not that she'll listen ...  LOL  ... but I think that Leah has been maligned enough. We know more about Sage's background (she was brutalized by her former pack) and she isn't mated to anyone yet (though, I've got my fingers crossed for her and Asil). The mate of the Marrok, given that she seems to cause so much trouble and ill-will by others, deserves some context.

As they say in divorce court, there are 2 sides to everything!

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #335 on: March 22, 2016, 06:34:34 pm »
In fact, forget 50 shades of gray, there needs to be a set of rainbows for who did/didn't do what right/wrong/contrary here.  We may need unnatural colors to lay it all out.

I absolutely love this.

Can I nominate octarine?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #336 on: March 22, 2016, 07:13:12 pm »
I don't know, can you?
Lots and lots of nuance, and some bold bits.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

YuleRule

• Tinker
« Reply #337 on: March 28, 2016, 07:45:14 pm »
I'm actually curious we know that the only person Bran's Beast-Beserker did not hurt was Samuel and he was pretty confident it would not hurt Charles either. However, for most wolves the only "safe" person is their mate. So would Bran's Beast-Beserker hurt Leah? Would it have hurt Blue Jay Woman?
Please Check These Out!