Author Topic: Leah & Other Characters Discussion  (Read 135731 times)

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
Re: Leah & Other Characters Discussion
« Reply #300 on: June 25, 2011, 03:28:28 am »
I have to agree with LGW, very good points all around! 

I think at the end of Cry Wolf Bran 'thinks' about how long it took him to 'find' the right mate that his wolf would approve as acceptable but was stupid and selfish enough so his human self wouldn't fall in love with her... totally paraphrased so jump in and correct me if you wish, no worries there.  That leaves me thinking she wasn't in his pack at the time, though considering the population of the time after Blue Jay Woman's death, I don't know where he would have found her.  Possibly as white settlers came west?  It wasn't clear how long after Charles' mother's death he found Leah.  Blue Jay Woman's father was still alive though, so he didn't have her in his life for very long at all before he lost her.

I agree with the wolf/human conflict within Leah over her protection instinct and the resentment of that need by the human side.  VERY likely an issue, and if she resolves it enough to become decent, I wonder if it will make her more likable to Bran?  In which case I wonder if Bran will find that an issue.  Hmmmmm.
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #301 on: June 25, 2011, 05:43:08 am »
hmmm... some people want Leah to get nicer/better, but it might effect bran and his con trol as well. Makes you think.
Howl more, whine less

Omega

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #302 on: July 01, 2011, 04:21:21 pm »
personally i dont think leah will get any nicer...her character is more narcassistic than anything...or historonic...one of the two :)

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #303 on: July 01, 2011, 11:27:07 pm »
could you dumb that down a little, please ???
Howl more, whine less

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #304 on: July 02, 2011, 03:16:02 am »
She's too egotistical, vain and selfish to want to change, and probably sees no reason why she should anyway.  If she can't get her way for some reason she loves to kick up a fuss of some sort (histrionics).  If it's because Bran puts his foot down, she probably sorts to sulking and small malicious things, (can a wolf be passive aggressive?)  if it's some pack member who is under other orders of Bran's etc, (like when Sage could refuse her because of Bran's orders) she throws a hissy fit and becomes a drama queen...  Her options with an Omega around will be limited though, she's not going to like it one bit and there's darn little she can do about it so I think she'll end up causing a lot of stress within the pack, and trying to manipulate other pack members to spite anyone she can to prove she's more important that some stray Omega that Charles found.  I think she'll bring trouble to her own doorstep over it all... though exactly what sort, I'm just not sure.

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #305 on: July 02, 2011, 03:27:56 am »
Thank you, you have good points, but Leah may still have some decency left, we don't really know
Howl more, whine less

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #306 on: July 02, 2011, 04:26:13 am »
Having those traits doesn't make her bad or evil, just annoying.  It's her personality and that's just that.  Not everyone is motivated by being considerate of others, or by wanting to be nice or decent.  Such people function just fine in society (whatever their society is) for the most part.  It's just not what most people think of as a happy existence, but who's to say really?  High powered business people?  Probably not as narcissistic as Leah, but selfish?  IMO, almost assuredly, of course people like Donald Trump are pretty darned narcissistic!  Movie stars? Yeah, often quite sure that they are too important to follow rules or live by standards of polite behaviour.

A lot of people are self centered and have overblown images of their importance.  It takes all kinds in this world, I just feel that she really needs to handle her insecurities better.  Come to terms with her position as the Marrok's mate and deal with it.  She's got a darn powerful position and she should really be used to the facts of her life by now.   She could be arrogant and selfish without pulling dirty little tricks to undermine the cohesion of the pack.  Bran's handled a lot of it with pure strength, she could do a LOT more to help him which would cement her position better and make life more pleasant all around... but maybe that would make Bran like her too much and she doesn't have the inner strength and loyalty (IMO) that Charles and Samuel have to make her a safe person for him to care too much about.

That's what bugs me the most I guess... her insecurities in the position she's in could cause a lot of trouble in the pack.  She resents too much of what makes the Marrok pack so strong.  Charles, Anna, even Samuel who may currently be a lone wolf, still holds Bran's and by virtue of that the entire NA pack structure in high regard.  She needs to realize that all these people (wolves) are part of Bran's stability and support system and so part of HER support.   She's so busy being jealous of their place in Bran's life that she doesn't see that he, and so the pack as a whole as well as herself, need them and their support.  If it weren't Charles or Samuel, it'd be someone or something else she'd be jealous and insecure about.

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #307 on: July 02, 2011, 04:31:09 am »
She may be selfish, but something had to have made her that way
Howl more, whine less

lostbird

• Mechanic
  • (sigh....)
« Reply #308 on: July 02, 2011, 05:29:50 am »
She may be selfish, but something had to have made her that way

"Selfish" people are usually raised that way. All children start out with the potential to be Mother Teresa, but they also have their own very unique set of personality traits that are either enhanced or made worse by their environment. Meaning:  how they are parented, what it's like to live in their homes, attend their schools, what kinds of friends they make, their relationships with other adult role-models. How all of those things affect them emotionally and psychologically is the key difference. This is the basic nature vs. nurture argument. It takes both to form an individual but everyone is different. This doesn't mean that a person can't change. Just that, in order to change one has to first recognize that it's something they do (being selfish, for instance) and then they have to WANT to be less so.

The story of the Marrok needs the tension that Leah brings on some level, so I don't see Leah's basic nature changing anytime soon. Maybe Patty will flesh her out more over time, but remember, this is really the Mercyverse, not the Marrokverse. Bran is a supportive character, not the main event. I seem to recall that the Marrok's wolf had decided he needed a mate around the time that Charles was +/- 50 years old (forgive me, but I can't recall what book that's in). This means that Leah is at least old enough to take to mate, so she's been raised by someone somewhere. When Bran finds Leah, both Samuel and Charles really object (the assumption being that they have the opportunity to meet her and realize almost immediately that she's not the kind of mate they would want for their father or to join their family)--but Bran goes ahead and takes Leah as his mate anyway because he needs someone. He's rejecting love because losing it takes him too close to rampant destruction and death. He wants to go on living and in order to do that, he needs something very basic to help him maintain control over his wolf and his berserker. Sex is about as basic a need as it gets. It's instinctual, which is a lot of what the berserker in him responds to. In fact, as we learned in CW, sex is usually all it takes to seal the mating bond. But Bran also needs someone who won't take him to the brink (someone he can't/won't love) when she's gone. Right now, Leah fits this bill.

:-\
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:51:46 am by lostbird »

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #309 on: July 02, 2011, 05:33:52 am »
Your thoughts and mine are parallel
Howl more, whine less

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #310 on: July 02, 2011, 07:42:56 am »
Good summations.
To point up what DW was saying, in the grumbles & gripes thread someone, I think Zealith, was talking about a gal in her circle of friends & acquaintances, who was on FB or the phone with her, and Z (or whoever) was going "yeah...uh-huh...sure" with the "I'm paying attention but ready to go on to something else" implication, and the other person accused her of drawing the subject out, but if Z had cut them off herself, she would have gotten reamed for that.  This person is like Leah.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #311 on: July 02, 2011, 11:41:20 pm »
blame everybody, sounds right
Howl more, whine less

HavParker

• Tinker
    • The Critical Artist
« Reply #312 on: July 09, 2011, 06:23:46 pm »
Bit of a side note but, I thought Bran's wolf chose Leah.... or did he just force Bran to choose someone?
•Hav•

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #313 on: July 09, 2011, 09:14:03 pm »
That's what Sam and Charles believ, however in CW Bran revieled that he had searched for some one like her.

lostbird

• Mechanic
  • (sigh....)
« Reply #314 on: July 10, 2011, 03:59:43 am »
...but I think he prefaces that by saying something like his wolf had decided they'd been without a mate for long enough. Six of one, half a dozen of another. I think his wolf may have forced the issue, and Bran knew enough about survival that he couldn't ignore his own wolf. So he split the difference and searched for someone he couldn't love.