Author Topic: Leah & Other Characters Discussion  (Read 124928 times)

dryad

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Bran & Leah Discussion
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 12:48:16 am »
Something was mentioned by Bran near the end of Cry Wolf about the mating bond "spreading" the rage or something like that, making it easier to manage.  If that is true, does that also mean that Leah is also sharing in his instability and rage along with the power that comes with being the Alpha's mate? That would explain some of her vindictiveness, in that the anger Bran keeps tightly wrapped is not so secure with her.  If it does come from him, that may be why he tolerates her? I assume that somewhere there is strength in Leah or she might be absolutely insane sharing the rage with Bran. 

That's what I've been thinking as well, that a part of Leah's bitterness and anger is tied to Bran's instability through the mate bond.  Given the glimpses we've had of Leah through the Mercy books, I never would have believed that I'd feel sorry for her, but Patty made me go there. That's some good writing.  ;D

Aurora

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2008, 07:23:10 am »
Bran explains in CW the reason why he chose Leah for a mate.  It's MHO that Bran the man actively searched for a woman like Leah.  I have some doubt that his wolf was involved in the selection of a mate at all.  Usually a man chooses a wife and the wolf accepts her as a mate. 

In CW on pg. 293  " He needed the mating bond to hold the monster he could become at bay.  But he couldn't afford to lose anyone else he loved the way he had loved Blue Jay Woman.  So he'd found an acceptable compromise in Leah. " 

Bran explains that love is not necessary for a successful mating.  That all it needed was trust and acceptance.  So I guess Bran trusts and accepts Leah even if he doesn't allow hmself to love her.  I kinda feel sorry for the both of them.

Maiv

• Tool Wrangler
  • Don't Worry! Be Happy!
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2008, 07:52:22 am »
 ???

Just mulling a few things over about Leah, Bran, and the pack. I'd forgotten that the pack in Aspen Creek is a safe haven for wolves that are having problems or developing them. I don't want to make bad assumptions since we don't know her that well, but I can't help wondering that maybe she left another pack to join Bran's pack was because others couldn't handle her attitude. Maybe her attitude/personality comes off as a strong (alpha-ish) type and led Bran's wolf to choose her.
Also, Bran and his wolf is getting old, becoming slightly crazy after he lost Blue Jay Woman, choosing Leah to calm his wolf down.
(SIGH)  :-\
I dunno, dissecting this book really got me feeling like I still don't like Leah, but at the same time, you feel sorry for her and Bran. But you've got to laugh at how the pack is created, because in the real world, it's (probably) drama, drama, drama, and maybe and it's what keeps the characters going!

Let me scratch my head over that one...

Gwendolynn

• Tinker
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2008, 06:12:50 pm »
I think it was an interesting insight to Bran - characters keep saying how ruthless he is, but comes across as a nice guy, and that's how I still thought of him - but he's certainly using Leah without thought for her feelings or development.
Who is to say she isn’t using him for her own reasons though?  I love the possibilities this book has opened for the future with Bran and Leah.  Their relationship could develop in so many ways, or it could remain the same. 

The fact that Leah was waiting in his bed, whether or not it was her human side or wolf side, is a great sign.  Also, the fact that Bran's first impulse was to soften towards her is a good sign too.  I think it shows that things will not remain the same between them.

My fear is that Leah will never be content.  If Bran softens toward her and starts loving her, will she be content sharing him with his sons and the pack?  Some people are unable to share, people or power. 

I think Leah is just as responsible for the dysfunctional relationship as Bran.  I like how CW put some of the weight on Bran’s shoulders (I had previously thought it was mostly Leah), but they both are responsible.  It takes two to make things work. 

white_unicorn

• Mechanic
  • The stories are written at Wattpad - Wolf_Lady :)
    • Wattpad - Stories
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 11:26:28 pm »
as I wrote in another post, Leah must have known. Even if she wasn't in the Pack when Charles was born the  love Bran had for his wife was legendary in the pack... she must have realized that she couldn't compete but she compromised... I think, if she had said that she wanted more than what Bran would give her he would let her go and find someone else, so... I guess she has a share of the fault.

Plus, she made the mistake many step-moms do, antagonizing their husband's children and late wife because they don't think they get enough from their husband... Though in Leah's case she doesn't get enough....

I'd like to learn more about her and Bran... and I do think both are to blame for their relationship...

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2008, 12:19:44 am »
I wonder if Leah's dislike for Sam, Charles and Mercy is because she sees the depth of love that Bran is capable of and knows that he will never allow himself to love her the same? I know I would be ticked with that kind of situation. But the whole scenario is just too sad.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Tanis143

• Grease Monkey
    • My webspace
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2008, 07:17:10 am »
I haven't talked this question over with Patty, but I have much the same reaction an nyuammeb: while Leah is certainly a cold-hearted wench, being locked into a loveless marriage would make anyone an unpleasant ogre.  I kind of understand Bran's reasoning, but it still seems pretty cold.   We'll have to see if Patty explains his motives a little further . . . ???

Pretty cold to ordinary humans, but this is a werewolf remember? I can understand why he does this. In a way its the same thing that that Leo was faced with. Bran knows that his inner monster can not gain control of himself. He found the best way to cage the beast was through sex (I presume at least this is what that whole segment at the end of CW was about). But, after losing a wife that he dearly loved, he almost lost control of the beast in his despair. So he needed to find someone who would be willing to marry him, but someone he could never truly love. Enter Leah. She married Bran strictly for the power that marriage gave her. I'm pretty sure he made this arrangement clear to because she never acts like a jilted lover, just a stone cold bitch (Hey, I can use this word since she is a female canine of sorts :D ). Thus, Bran can feed his inner monster a pound of flesh so to speak, but he would never risk losing the inner struggle if Leah died as he did with his other wife. Yeah, its kind of cold, but as a werewolf, you do what you can to survive or protect your pack.
Um, I guess this is my sig.......

Tambayo

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2008, 01:17:51 am »
I got the impression that part of the rage from the monster is also diffused through the mating bond. Wouldn't that nagging at the edge of her awareness color Leah's behaviour as well?

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2008, 05:24:34 am »
Okay, 'nuf of that...I have a question for all you folks (or for Patty). I have to get this off my chest, but does it bother you that when Patty writes about Leah and Bran in....bed (shivers)...it's really disturbing.  ???
Are we talking them having Sex with each other here? Then, no, not really. It just seems awfully sad, but then again they might not see that so. If we talk them sharing a bed in general, then yes the thought to spend your live besides someone you can't or won't share a true affection with (or  someone that can't or won't share a true affection with you) is a disturbing one.

Also, another question, if love wasn't necessary for the mating bond accept for acceptance and trust, then how do the human side of two people really live with each other? I know she has her own room and he has his own, but it seems to me that they're living like strangers only looking forward to coupling(?) at night when they feel like it.
I always got the feeling that quite some couples live their live just that way, sans the coupling, like strangers that just happen to share a house. So it does seem that humans are invariably able to arange themself with almost every situation.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 05:48:41 am by Gerd D. »
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

munkee

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2008, 07:23:34 am »
ah see, here's another example.
my hubby's grandparents are bordering 90. grandma sleeps upstairs, grandpa sleeps downstairs (oh yeah and this is the guy who recently went out and bought a new chainsaw as he wore out his other one....this whole werewolf thing keeps popping into my mind...lol). From exchanging letters with grandma, she can't stand the man, but they've been married over 50 years, three kids, 6 grandkids, 5 great grandkids...so on. We aren't sure exactly how long leah's been married to bran, but if mercy knows of her, then lets assume at least 30+ years. It was a totally different kind of society back 50+ years ago where marriage for the sake of marriage was not uncommon as it is nowadays. Being happy didn't matter, surviving back then did. SO, even though we're all appalled at the situation, they may be okay with it as it's what they are used to or what they grew up with as a standard. (honestly, I shudder to think that today's society will be a standard for my son)

That being said, if the human aspects of bran and leah can't stand each other, but the wolf in each of them keeps them together, then should they part(the mating bond not be there anymore kind of thing), that'd be one HECK of an explosion, in my opinion. SO bran might as well face the facts and start softening to her. With as many years as he's been indifferent to her, it's not like she's going to love him overnight, but it might make things better for his pack as well.

anyone else notice that brans pack has kind of the "we're here because we don't have anywhere else to go" type feeling to it? AND when does the 14 year old come to join? that one guys daughter from blood bound? What kind of impact will SHE have on the pack?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2008, 08:50:26 am »
Some good points, Munkee.  Up until at least the 1920s, in a great deal of the western world, marriages were made for profit and politics, not for love.  The very idea was appalling to most people.  You could have it as a bonus, that was acceptable, but as the first thing you looked for in a husband or wife?!  Most assuredly not!

Eastern countries still have a good quantity of arranged marriages; I've met a woman who was forced into an arranged marriage when she was 18, +/- 2 years, out of the Indian sub-continent.  And probably others I don't know about.  And it does still happen in western countries; a lot of the ruckus about the Fundamentalist Mormons down in Texas earlier this year is because that particular splinter group was encouraging to the point of forcing the girls to marry older men that were chosen by their fathers.

In this day of 'individual choices for & by the individual', there is a preponderance of 'for love' marriages, but we shouldn't fool ourselves, there are also a great many that are made where one or both parties are in it strictly for what they can get out of it; materially or in power, prestige, or notoriety.

And Kara Beckwith wouldn't have had a chance to get to the Marrock's pack yet.  But the inclusion of Anna to the equation of  Kara + the Aspen Creek pack = (to me) some interesting times, in the sense of that Chinese curse.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

jenglows

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2008, 03:59:57 pm »
For me, the big question is if Bran explained the deal to Leah before the mating bond was finalized or if she thought he loved her and didn't realize what was going on until it was too late to back out.   If Leah understood the deal and choose that life because of the benefits it offers ( wealth, power, community standing) then I have no sympathy for her because her behavior towards Mercy and Bran's sons isn't excusable.  But,  if she was mislead by Bran then I can understand her lashing out at his children and her behavior towards Mercy - and Bran loses some serious "cool" points ;)

I really love reading Bran's back story, it is so intense. I hope that more of the A&O series contains additional history vignettes form Bran and Samual.  There is a lot of time to cover and many interesting adventures, I'm sure :) 

a3kings

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2008, 08:03:56 am »
Glow1nthedark
If Leah understood the deal and choose that life because of the benefits it offers ( wealth, power, community standing) then I have no sympathy for her because her behavior towards Mercy and Bran's sons isn't excusable.  But,  if she was mislead by Bran then I can understand her lashing out at his children and her behavior towards Mercy - and Bran loses some serious "cool" points

I can agree with that. sort of like " u made ur bed, Now lie in it" but if that were the case then she wouldnt be as hurt,... would she????  I think that bran didnt explain to her what it was going to be like. or if he hinted at it then she didnt get it. She is considered stupid after all. Plus if shes as old as come people speculate then she probably would have still expected more. LIke for example if she didnt expect love then she at least expected to be more of a partner to him.

nightangel

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2008, 11:43:51 am »
I think Bran and Leah's relationship is not entirely healthy, and to me it seems that her character is meant to be unlikeable, but at the same time part of me does sympathize with her.  I can understand why Bran would deliberately choose a mate he could not fall deeply in love with--he is a berserker, and from what I gathered in the novel that dangerous side of him was almost unleashed again after the death of Blue Jay Woman, because of his love for her.  So, his lack of love for Leah may be kind of jerky from a personal standpoint, but as Marrok he also had the packs to think of.

It makes Leah's attitude a lot easier to understand, even though it might not make her likeable.  She obviously knows that Bran doesn't care for her the way he did for Blue Jay Woman, or for his sons, and yet if their wolves have recognized one another as mates, that's not an easy offer to turn down, and so she's roped into a relationship with someone she wants to be close to but who she knows will never love her as much.

However, I also have to wonder if part of Bran doesn't love her a little anyway, in spite of himself and her personality.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2008, 12:24:27 pm »
I get the impression he does, from lengthy proximity, if nothing else.  I think he kind of feels sorry for her, but still doesn't see any other alternatives.  I wonder if new possibilities in the new millenium and the Omega in his immediate family might change things.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.