Author Topic: Mercy and the Aging Question  (Read 77948 times)

Cole

• Grease Monkey
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
Won't Mercy age?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 06:40:39 pm »
i wonder if it would cause painless changes between wolf and human or even coyote and wolf

There is no place like /~

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
Won't Mercy age?
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 01:08:23 pm »
hmmmmm..... interesting..... post some more under Were-Walker.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

f00-ssa

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Won't Mercy age?
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2007, 12:57:41 pm »
She's 31? 32?
With 5 books to go and them happening quite fast, unless the contract is seriously extend it might not be an issue, meaning there might not be an answer.

... Possibly her two shapes age independently, that would give Mercy some extra time.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 04:58:03 pm »
Mercy's 31, it took me a while to track that one down in the books. :D

You have a good point about the timeline of the books. I could imagine that they'll all take place in the next 3-5 years so I don't think the aging with have that much of impact storywise...but you never know.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 05:32:03 pm »
Also another factor is that not much time may past in between books. I think the largest gap was 6 months with Moon Called and Blood Bound- but its only a month with between Blood Bound and Iron Kissed
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 12:16:28 pm »
yeah a couple weeks each way, right?

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Rob

• lovebird
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007, 05:01:34 pm »
I don't have any research or sources to cite (procastination and laziness win out), but it sticks in my head that in a lot of the Native American legends and mythology that I've heard or read that a lot of their super natural beings tend to be, at the very least, long lived though rarely immortal.  I could be wrong, most likely am.
Proud member of the Maulers Union Local #182.

Jules the cat

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 11:40:19 am »
i was really wondering about this when i read it.  it'd be awkward if she aged while her mate didnt

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 02:51:24 pm »
i think she will probably live to be older than most humans but nowhere near the werewolves and/or vampires  ;)

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
Re: mercy growing older while sam/adam still young and studly?
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 12:35:23 pm »
first i love these books. :D i ussually go right to the vampire or werewolf books but sometimes they get too dark for my tastes. i love them, but winter is depressing enough. but as soon as i read the first book i realised how strong mercy had to have been to have grown up around dominant over-bearing-no matter how well intentioned- wolves.

but my question:
the werewolves look the same and have basically youth for a long time. sam wants mercy to bears his children that won't die but what about the fact that every year she'll get older. or do walkers age more slow?

Just wondering,
jesss

i don think she ages slower.  she looks just like a human and just like a coyote.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 05:11:56 pm by Cole »

courtesy of Has

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2007, 06:10:19 pm »
This question has been discussed a good deal in some of the other threads.  The core result is that no-one knows.  First, Mercy is only 1/2 walker, which could change the typical answer for a full blooded walker.
And, second, there haven't been any other walkers around to give any idea of the answer. 
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Rob

• lovebird
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2007, 06:15:41 pm »
That brings to question, is there such a thing as a full-blooded walker?  I presume that even before the vamps put them on the endangered list, that there weren't a lot of walkers so presumeably there weren't many walker couples.  Is the walker gene dominant?  Always coming up in the offspring, or only sometimes surfacing?
Proud member of the Maulers Union Local #182.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2007, 06:18:58 pm »
thats a good question rob, it would be interesting also with sam's ideas of children with her too

courtesy of Has

Taranis

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2007, 08:57:11 pm »
There's also the fact that Sam wants Mercy because she can bear children.  If he was merely content to have her give him kids, live a normal human lifespan, and die while he lives on, he obviously is a very selfish character! I don't want to believe that Sam would feel that way about Mercy, so I assume the age issue doesn't bother him.  Maybe (hopefully) he knows something we (and Mercy) don't.

Reu

• Tinker
  • Draco invictus!
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 12:25:34 am »
Taranis-

Remember the town where Sam comes from.  Many of the people try to become weres themselves, only to die in the process. Also keep in mind that that was what Bran did to Sam (IIRC), and it was Sam's choice.  My thinking on this is that IF (and it's a pretty big if in my book) Sam and Mercy do have children, Sam would give them the choice at a certain age to attempt to become weres, as it was given to him and others of his hometown. 

Don't let the muggles get you down.
-Ron Weasley