Author Topic: Mercy and the Aging Question  (Read 72290 times)

jenniwee

• Mechanic
Mercy and the Aging Question
« on: August 02, 2007, 09:17:57 am »
I had a question along these lines too.  I wondered if Mercy would ever discover healing abilities as she learns more about her powers.  In most of the shapeshifter stories I've read, shapeshifters, were or not, tend to have some capacity for healing faster than normal humans.  Mercy could certainly use some of this with all the trouble she gets into. ;D

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Won't Mercy age?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 01:14:21 pm »
About the aging, Mercy's foster mother aged despite the fact that she was mated to a werewolf. I doubt it would help Mercy any.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
Won't Mercy age?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 01:46:29 pm »
That's a good point, but Mercy's foster mother was a human, while Mercy is not: since she can be affected by Adam's powers as alpha, maybe she can get not to age in return...  :)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Won't Mercy age?
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 01:49:34 pm »
That would just seem too convenient for me, and it would really bug me. If however, she just aged really slowly because she was a walker, I wouldn't mind.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
Won't Mercy age?
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 02:09:58 pm »
Hmmm...that's also true...but, doesn't it bother you thinking of a couple in which one of the 2 won't age, while the other will get old? It kinda creeps me out... >_< and I perfectly understand why Mercy's foster mother decided to risk the Change...

Cole

• Grease Monkey
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
Won't Mercy age?
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 02:12:21 pm »
That's a good point, but Mercy's foster mother was a human, while Mercy is not: since she can be affected by Adam's powers as alpha, maybe she can get not to age in return...  :)
A no jumping to conclusions about her being with adam it could and i hope be Sam

There is no place like /~

jenglows

Won't Mercy age?
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 02:21:46 pm »
I think this question was asked in one of the chat's - maybe the first one.  I'll try to track it down...

jenglows

Won't Mercy age?
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 05:04:17 pm »
This is all I could find - from the first chat:

8:09:01 kar Will Mercy ever become immortal so that she can happily end up with Adam or Sam?
8:10:38 Patty I have a little problem with having Mercy be immortal. I don't know if she is -- and neither does she or Adam/Sam. I like to keep my characters underpowerd when I can

If she isn't immortal she must age, right?

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
Won't Mercy age?
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 07:02:05 pm »
or age very slowly...but whoever she picks it would break my fragile little heart to see her aging while her partner does not :'(... not to mention the stress it would put on the immortal partner, and how do you think Mercy would feel :-\?
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
Won't Mercy age?
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 12:16:00 am »
A no jumping to conclusions about her being with adam it could and i hope be Sam

Well, I was making an example of how were's powers can affect Mercy, not saying that if she chooses Adam she won't age, while if she choose Sam she will...maybe I didn't explain myself right...  :-[

Nifty

• Mechanic
Won't Mercy age?
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 04:34:59 am »
or age very slowly...but whoever she picks it would break my fragile little heart to see her aging while her partner does not :'(... not to mention the stress it would put on the immortal partner, and how do you think Mercy would feel :-\?

What made me think of this question is that I've seen this sort of pairing so often in fantasy.  Garion and Ce'Nedra (from David Eddings' Belgariad) spring to mind.  He's a sorcerer, and they live for thousands of years in Eddings' construct.  Whereas Ce'Nedra is a dryad, and they live only for hundreds of years (as long as their oak trees).

Anne Bishop has the same situation with her Black Jewels Trilogy.  Daemon is of the long-lived races.  He's already some 1700 years old or so, and he could live for thousands more years.  But Jaenelle is not of the long-lived races; her life expectancy is just over (or was it under?) 100 years.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
Won't Mercy age?
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 11:35:25 am »
And I wonder, when she picks, and if she stays with that partner for good, would she risk the change? And if she did, how would that affect her being a walker? would she be able to pick to be a wolf or coyote when changing voluntarily? Would she be as bound by the lunar cycles as your normal were is?
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Nifty

• Mechanic
Won't Mercy age?
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 01:00:43 pm »
And I wonder, when she picks, and if she stays with that partner for good, would she risk the change? And if she did, how would that affect her being a walker? would she be able to pick to be a wolf or coyote when changing voluntarily? Would she be as bound by the lunar cycles as your normal were is?

If it were me, I don't think I'd risk the change.  Sure...she doesn't have that nifty super-fast healing ability...or the super-strength...or the immortality of the werewolves.  But at the same time, her transition to furry form isn't painful for her and doesn't take any time.  She doesn't "have" to transition; her inner coyote's not going to get out of control if she doesn't shift every so often and her transition isn't demanded by the moon's pull once a month.  She has some immunity to magic, which the werewolves don't have.  And when she shifts into coyote form, her form is recognizable as a coyote -- which means that she runs less risk of being found out by humans.   Plus, Mercy seems like a bit of a loner and her status as walker -- and not wolf -- seems to allow her to keep her distance from the big group-hug that is the pack.  (Of course, that's as of now...before she's made any choice of mate.)  There's lots of benefit to being a walker as opposed to a werewolf, it seems.

Still, I get your point:  how would it affect those walker characteristics of hers if she DID go through the Change to become a werewolf?  Would one override the other, or would there be a blending?
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Won't Mercy age?
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 01:03:25 pm »
Plus, she doesn't have a coyote in the back of her mind that causes her to lose control.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
Won't Mercy age?
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 02:34:33 pm »
I thought of the pros and cons for her and that, but It's just one of those things... What would happen if she did decide to try the change (I have a hard time believing that she wouldn't survive it given her personality strength)? How would wolf and Walker interact?  Now that is something I would be interested in, er... reading, a were-walker. I think I will make this a new topic just so I could find out Patty's thoughts on the subject.