Author Topic: Bran, Sam, Charles, etc., and their ages;also general age issues  (Read 31150 times)

ladylynx

• Mechanic
Re: Bran, Sam, Charles, etc., and their ages;also general age issues
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2009, 03:55:00 pm »
Another aspect of being turned, is think about all the new things you can learn. You'll have time now to do all the things you never had time for or forgot over the years. You could also say you had allot of plastic surgery to make yourself look younger. Most people can't tell the differences. Hiding your youth is the easy part, coming up with ways to explain how old you are will take some creative thinking. If nothing else you could live in some deserted isolated areas where your nearest neighbor is two to three miles away form you orup in the mountains in a cabin.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2009, 09:52:36 pm »
I'm not so sure that plastic surgery is an option. It's hard to tell when someone has had it only when they have been doing it in stages for years. If you take someone who let  themselves age naturally then get changed at fifty, people will definitely wonder what is going on when they suddenly look twenty. Plastic surgery isn't that good.

This is an intersting dilemna though. I wonder how many newly turned weres stage an accident or something to disappear?

As for the suicidal were... yuck! there are definitely easier ways to go.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2009, 09:54:25 pm »
But not legally. If being turned to a werewolf were legal it might become a problem...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2009, 09:58:26 pm »
Well, the whole 'no turning anyone who hasn't been through a class/counseling session' thing is likely to weed those out.  At least in Bran's territory.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2009, 09:59:38 pm »
especially since weres can smell a lie.

Lakritz

• Tool Wrangler
    • Literaturzeitung außerdem
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2009, 10:54:01 pm »
As for plastic surgery - it hasn't been common and affordable for a very long time. Somebody around 50 in the 1920s for example could not have claimed to look young because of it. Even dyeing your hair was out as an explanation how you lost the grey strands for many social groups, especially for the men. Even today there are some people, who could not use this explanation with their family and friends - me for example. I have been arguing with some of them, why I don't dye my hair, why I feel comfortable with the way I look for some years now. I Could perhaps "give in" on the hair dyeing issue - but if I told them I had plastic surgery they would never believe I was still me.
no signatures, no comment

The Deposed King

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2009, 06:57:23 am »
yep. or people who are suicidal.

Storyline... someone suicidal tries to become a were expecting to die. instead they survive. how do they and the pack deal with it?

They might have a crisis.  If they honestly believed that it was because they were all alone in the world.  And then never had a moment alone, due to the pack bond and still felt suicidal...  I expect that if they were too suicidal they wouldn't survive the transition.  Or else later on when their control over themselves slipped due to suicidal ideations, they'd lose control and have to be put down.

For some it might cure them if it was mainly a hormonal/chemical issue.  Their new were health might remove those issues.

The Deposed King

Omega 303

• Grease Monkey
  • Anna's Wolf
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2009, 01:34:21 am »
yep. or people who are suicidal.

Storyline... someone suicidal tries to become a were expecting to die. instead they survive. how do they and the pack deal with it?

They might have a crisis.  If they honestly believed that it was because they were all alone in the world.  And then never had a moment alone, due to the pack bond and still felt suicidal...  I expect that if they were too suicidal they wouldn't survive the transition.  Or else later on when their control over themselves slipped due to suicidal ideations, they'd lose control and have to be put down.

For some it might cure them if it was mainly a hormonal/chemical issue.  Their new were health might remove those issues.

The Deposed King

I think once the wolf actually enter the pack they will draw comfort from the pack bond and the alpha will help control some of those tendancies. Like when Mercy started having a panic attack on the way back fron stockom. Adam felt her fear and the pack helped ease her attack. But this is not the issue. I think that the were's stop aging somewhere in there early twenties to early thirties. But I think the change will be to hard on a person. I mean if they can deal with the change and the transition I guess they would like to get their youth back. But it could be hard seeing everyone you know die off til you have no one left but the pack. The aging process can be hard on those who have human mates who don't want to be turned I mean that some of Sam's problem His wives and kids all died his wives from age his kids from the transition.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2009, 06:12:44 am »
That's a big part of why there's that 'average length of time a werewolf survives' is about 10 years.  If they survive transition, but, like Doc Wallace, can't control themselves, gone in under a year.  If they can't deal with other wolves (usually dominance issues) dead within probably 18 months.  If they can't deal with deaths in the family, dead probably within about 6 months of that, like Mercy's foster father killed himself after his human mate died.  If they have the toughness of mind or flexibility of emotion to accept, they can go on for a millennium, like Bran or Asil - if they're not killed in a dominance issue.

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2009, 10:28:29 am »
As for now that the Weres are out in the open, will they have to deal with lots of old people wanting to be changed because they don't want to die/don't like being old?

You might get a few people like that but I'd say that the majority would stay clear of the werewolves. I read recently in another book (Jes Battis - Night Child, I think), that if people understood immortality then they wouldn’t wish for it. Take Sam for example, he’s had to watch his family die over and over again. That’s awful, would you wish for that? Just so you could stay young?

And I wonder about Jesse's future in the series, I can't see her being changed, and I can't imagine what it would be like having a Dad who would eventually look younger than yourself. Too weird. I wonder how she would deal with it.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2009, 10:37:40 am »
without computers, good long distance communications, better foresics and a strong breaucraties. ID theif was easier during the '70 backward.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2009, 10:40:11 am »
Also creating new identities.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2009, 10:42:49 am »
Hey it made the Vitail Statics be brought togather instead in separte offices that share well.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2009, 10:50:41 am »
There has been a national census every decade since at least 1800 in the US, I believe.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2009, 10:55:46 am »
until VS were brought togather it easier to make a more perment ID.
Since radifacation of US constution, every Ten years.
For our friendship I stay silent on this years survey.
life is terminal