Author Topic: Bran, Sam, Charles, etc., and their ages;also general age issues  (Read 31151 times)

malika

• Grease Monkey
Hey Patty,

Just finished reading the book the first time through and am on the second round- I love it!!!!!!!!! I had a question about Bran's age- in the book it says that Asil is around 1300 years old, and Charles is not sure exactly how old his father is. But later, Asil is thinking, and he muses that he had heard of Bran as the berkerker wolf when Asil was in North Africa, and he was about 100 years old then. Does that mean that Bran is around 1200, or was he a wolf for a long time before then while he was held captive by his mother? Also, it is implied that Bran and Samuel were changed at the same time, by the same person, and therefore Samuel was born when he and Bran were both still human. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Malika
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 11:44:01 pm by Elle »

danceswithwaves

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Bran, Sam, Charles, etc., and their ages;also general age issues
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 05:09:59 pm »
I'm trying to figure out the first myself, since ages are one of those things about characters I always have to know.  But for your second question, in Moon Called Bran tells Mercy, "Samuel was born to my first wife, when I was still human."
“Coming home from very lonely places, all of us go a little mad: whether from great personal success, or just an all-night drive, we are the sole survivors of a world no one else has ever seen.”
~John LeCarre

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 06:46:34 pm »
in the book it says that Asil is around 1300 years old, and Charles is not sure exactly how old his father is. But later, Asil is thinking, and he muses that he had heard of Bran as the berkerker wolf when Asil was in North Africa, and he was about 100 years old then. Does that mean that Bran is around 1200, or was he a wolf for a long time before then while he was held captive by his mother?

Malika

Remember how slowly news travelled in those days.  I think the 'legend' of Bran would be what Asil heard when he was about a century old (old, or a century Changed?  I've forgotten if he specified).  This means that Bran could have been lurking in his lifeless zone for as long as Asil had been a werewolf, and I don't recall that that happened very fast after Bran was Changed.  So my guess would be that Bran & Samuel were changed more like 1400 or 1500 years ago.

Just my guess.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Tambayo

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:40:12 pm »
I got the impression that Asil bases part of his perception of rank on age. He accepted Bran without any trouble due to age. Charles he had trouble with being higher in rank because he is so young and thus he had to prove himself.
I think Bran is older than Asil, question remains how much older. Think at least 50-100 years to make his acceptance that easy.

malika

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 02:42:07 pm »
Yeah, that's why I was wondering, because if Bran had only just become a wolf and then became the berserker all around the same time, he would be younger than Asil. But, other places in the book imply that Bran must be older in order to have Asil's respect. In any case, oy, 1200 or 1300, either one is a really really long time to live and not go insane....

Malika

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 06:18:27 pm »
Yeah, that's why I was wondering, because if Bran had only just become a wolf and then became the berserker all around the same time, he would be younger than Asil. But, other places in the book imply that Bran must be older in order to have Asil's respect. In any case, oy, 1200 or 1300, either one is a really really long time to live and not go insane....

Malika

No one knows quite when the tale of Beowolf came into existence. It is estimated that it was sometime between 700-1100 a.d. Which would place Bran and Samuel in the "really really old" category.

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 06:21:03 pm »

Malika

No one knows quite when the tale of Beowolf came into existence. It is estimated that it was sometime between 700-1100 a.d. Then again, most epics were spoken or sung it could even be older than the estimated date. Which would place Bran and Samuel in the "really really old" category.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 09:44:05 pm »
So, speaking of European werewolves; do you suppose there are any left there who are as old or older than Bran, and still as sane as he is?  Do you think there will be anyone with dominance to match his coming to this meet in Seattle?  Will Charles be outgunned on that front?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 05:18:48 pm »
I got the impression that Bran is unusual. otherwise the European wolves would have a larger structure.

The Deposed King

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 05:30:46 pm »
So, speaking of European werewolves; do you suppose there are any left there who are as old or older than Bran, and still as sane as he is?  Do you think there will be anyone with dominance to match his coming to this meet in Seattle?  Will Charles be outgunned on that front?

Well there was one non-familial wolf in Bran's own pack that is around his same age.  Also Samuel is really for all intents and purposes the same were-age as Bran.  I find it hard to fathom that there aren't a few other multi-centennials running around out there.  Additionally Europe would seem to be a place to find them as well....  The only question is if a lack of stability might have killed them off...

The Deposed King

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 05:38:53 pm »
Wait a minute... the older wolves tend to go insane. Asil couldn't find anyone strong enough to kill him in europe, so he came to Bran.

When Bran got to the Americas there would have been less wolves = less conflict = less chance of death/ injuries. In the Americas Bran would be starting over in many ways, that might make it easier for an older wolf.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 05:49:29 pm »
Asil didn't know of any wolves older than himself, other than Bran and Samuel.  We're talking a lot more than just multi-centennial, we're talking over a millenium. 
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 05:50:56 pm »
aleast two millenium
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 05:51:12 pm »
for Asil? I thought he was Post- Fall of the Roman Empire?

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 05:55:07 pm »
I don't think any of them are 2000, or very close to that, but Bran (and Samuel,of course) seem to be at least 1200 - 1300 years old, in my reading.  I forget how old I thought Asil was, but close to 1000, give or take a century or two.  ;)
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...