Author Topic: saying thank you to a fae  (Read 9541 times)

luvstraberries

• Tool Wrangler
saying thank you to a fae
« on: July 08, 2008, 05:53:05 pm »
Reading the Mercy series has got me thinking about saying thank you to anyone.  Thank you Patty for making the world so real!!  We know Zee taught Mercy never to thank a fae and she can smell if they are, yet she did so in IK when she thanked Tad...however, we know he wouldn't advantage of her. 

The question I have is: if a human thanks a fae, not knowing that they are fae, will the human be bound by gratitude to do their bidding..

i.e. the gardener that was accused of killing the human, surely at some point a human must have thanked him, also what about brownies that teach the kids?  Aren't the children taught to be polite and say thank you?  Or even the banker that is in customer service they would proballly be thanked often during the course of business.

I couldn't find a discussion anywhere and apologize if I am addressing a previous question.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:43:04 pm by Elle »

raion

• Grease Monkey
  • Everybody laughs in the same language ; )
Re: saying thank you to a fae
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 03:28:40 am »
Well I think that with the fae it really depends on whom you are speaking to. I mean I can´t see the Grey Lords caring that the human in question didn´t know that they are fae, ignorance is no excuse to them.
One definitely wouldn´t want to say thank you to someone like Fidael but I don´t think that Brownies are a problem they are not exactly knows for their maliciousness or their favour for human flesh.
Tad is a completely other case, he is a half-fae. I doubt that, having had a human mother, he would want to enslave or eat humans... I also can´t see Zee bringing him up like that.

DogPatch

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 06:57:46 am »
What a great question, luvstraberries.  It got me to thinking about the number of times I say thank you in the course of a day. :D

In IK, not only does Mercy thank Tad, he thanks her back.  (p 160)  Maybe that evens it out?

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 04:18:37 pm »
Yes, it depends upon the fae.  Tad is more human than fae, his father raised him that way. 
Patty

luvstraberries

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 06:46:03 pm »
Thank you so much for the replies!  I still have many questions and will be post them soon!!

:)