Author Topic: [A&O #1] Cry Wolf Discussion  (Read 71847 times)

fyreesper

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Cry Wolf Discussion
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2008, 09:16:59 am »
I liked the book a lot, especially getting to hear more about Bran's past, but I would have liked to see a bit more of Anna and Charles interaction, I felt a lot of times they were assuming what the other was thinking and feeling without asking, which led to a lot of confusion for them both. But I do have a question - the book said that Bran's mother - a witch - forced the change on her son and grandson (I assume that was Samuel). Does that mean that Bran and Sam have been wolves for an equal amount of time?

fyreesper

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2008, 09:19:14 am »
Hey, I got my copy yesterday and finished it yesterday too! Anybody who is waiting for a call or email from B&N, I suggest you call them, because I put an order on hold with them, and they never called or emailed me, even though they had it behind the counter waiting for me. Interestingly, they had my copy behind the counter but it wasn't on the shelves yet.

munkee

« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2008, 10:57:44 am »
I ordered through B&N.com, so I'm kinda sol till they ship it to me. which means that while I'm away at the inlaws, my book will be here at the house waiting for me...mocking me. it's so not fair.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2008, 12:46:04 pm »
Thanks Elle for opening the thread :D

I loved  this book- I definitely think this book was more romantic which definitely pleased the romance reader in me -and in some ways it was more gentler in tone compared to the Mercy series but I do think it was darker, and I like that juxtoposition ;D.
I especially loved how the relationship between Charles and Anna unfurled and I cannot wait to see what gifts their mating bond will bring.
I was also pretty shocked about Bran and Sam's past and I think Bran was changed first and then either tried to kill Sam but changed him instead while he killed the rest of his family. I cant believe his mother was that warped to do that to her own family but her quest for power must have been addictive. Poor Sam  and Bran :(

I also hope we get to see more of Asil and Sage - I loved Asil teasing  Charles and it was fun to see that stoicism crack and I hope we get to see Sage's history and why she is with Marrok. I love the line that Anna stated to Charles that the pack was full of psychos lol :D

I also dont think the situation with Leah is sustainable- Bran commented that having acceptance is enough for mating - but there is no trust and love and without that I think there could be cause for trouble later. I think Bran was protecting himself from ever loving anyone again like he did his wife but the events shown in Cry Wolf shows that is no guarantee to control his beast.
I also think Leah's reaction to Anna was interesting and I wonder what will happen now that there is someone Leah cant really control or touch using her rank since Anna is an Omega as well as the abilities drawing out her vulnerabilities and insecurities. I think that could cause instability within the pack with Leah's unhappiness that Charles has mated with an Omega although that scene was funny when she fled from Anna's presence.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

nottled

• Mechanic
  • Sexy Fat Chick
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2008, 03:09:51 pm »
I loved this book. I thought the main thing to remember is that it's different from the Mercy books. I remember Mike saying that they were worried it would flop but this is one happy fan. I did feel that it was a little stiff in the 'getting to know you' section. I don't like blatant misunderstandings between lovers and when Charles and Anna kept having little moments of insecurity, I didn't have the patience for it. Those are just my personal feelings.

However, once the story started to flow I was sucked in and happily in the world again. I think it's just the 'virgin pains' of the series and the rest are going to be spectacular.

I loved Sage and I hope Asil stops being the 'crazier than a s!*t-house rat' guy. He's much more interesting when he's being a noodge. :D

I still don't like Leah. I know Bran treats her like crap sometimes but I just can't feel sorry for her. I hope something happens to her and Bran realizes that now Anna is around, he could actually have a decent mate. Either that or Patty finds a way to humanize her that surprises us.

All in all, at the risk of sounding squee, I loved it. Brilliant writing and crystal clear description. I think it was a great set up for this world. It wasn't as good as Moon Called and I'm just being honest here. However, I think this series is going to develop it's own flavor entirely. Love the Montana backdrop ;D.It was an incredibly vivid world and I can't wait to see what's going to happen next! I'm still in the process of re-reading.

I LOVED Tag! Hope we see more of him too. ;D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 04:02:57 pm by nottled »
Damn it, I am pleasant!

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2008, 08:01:31 am »
::chews on keyboard:: Just called my local Borders, and they said it doesn't come in until Tuesday. >;( 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

nottled

• Mechanic
  • Sexy Fat Chick
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2008, 05:18:13 pm »
It wasn't as good as Moon Called and I'm just being honest here.

Okay, I feel the need to quote myself! How narcissistic is that???  :D

Anyway, I'm laying in bed and this part of my opinion of Cry Wolf is needling at me. I know, I have no life but I didn't mean it quite the way it sounds. I need to make this more clear.

As Moon Called was our first glimpse into this world, we basically went along with anything that the story threw at us. It was fresh and unknown so everything was new, like a first date. We didn't know anything about this world so we buy everything with panting enthusiasm and glee. Good writing does that to you. ;)

Now, we have been in a 'relationship' with these books for a few years. Instead of this book being like a 'first date' it's more of an 'anniversary with high expectations', based on that marvelous first date. Am I making any sense here?

So I'm jaded because I know this world. My expectations are 'thrill me like you did in Moon Called' but that's not realistic, is it? Everything isn't new and unknown. We know these characters and our own imaginations have developed them into what we think they should be.

I think it demonstrates the stark difference between a brand new series and one that branches off from an existing series. It's an enormous risk for the author. You have to create something entirely new from something beloved by thousands. Messing with that winning formula can be a double edged sword.

That's what I meant. That the transition was jarring by pure circumstances, not substandard work on Patty's part. :) Okay....I'm finished rambling. I really did love it.
Damn it, I am pleasant!

Tirya

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2008, 07:08:58 pm »
Just finished it, and thoroughly enjoyed it (though I have to admit I was more enamored with the Bone Crossed excerpt than with Cry Wolf... I feel a lot more "connected" with Mercy than Anna, and the few lines from Stefan had me going "Oh frak..." :D ).

I need to go back and do a re-read, to pick up some of the subtleties I'm sure I missed.  The POV changes from Anna to Charles to Asil etc. were very well done.  I liked Walter's characterization, and his attack of Charles and Anna was really well done.  I was really sad when he died, and I also choked up when Asil let the last little tufts of fur blow away on the breeze.

What I liked - and disliked - the most was probably the insight into Bran and his relationship with Leah.  Liked because it made sense and it also seemed to help explain why Leah seems to dislike so many wolves - she probably realizes that Bran cares for them in a way that he never will for her.  Disliked because even though it's an understandable self-preservation motivation for him, it's still damned cold, and I wish/hope that he'll be able to gain control enough of the Beast that he can let that wall down at some point.

Mominator

• Radix lecti
  • Global Moderator
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2008, 02:00:47 pm »
My friend Des found it at Rosauers (local grocery chain) last week.  She sneakily bought both copies out and waved them at hungry fans here.  Mean.

OK, she did loan them until other people get theirs from Amazon.  Mine ships today!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2008, 06:35:21 pm »
Well, I finished it about - three this morning?

Quite splendid.  I loved not just information about Bran & Samuel (and Charles, on Bran's side of the family) background, but new information about Charles, his mother, uncle, and his relation with the spirits.  How cool is it that they badger him?  And help him.  That he knows that that vale in the Cabinets has some spirit of its own that's inimical to intruders, but that Walter stayed, and it eventually accepted him. 

I wonder if Walter did see werewolves in Vietnam?  What was that silver etched blade of his meant to fight?  What's become of it since he died?  Does Charles have it?  Tag?  Bran? 

How much are the spirits apt to call Charles & Anna to their needs?  Were they responsible for Anna being able to see and break the spell Mariposa set on her and him? 

What a wonderful insight into the pack standings.  "Submissives are our treasure."  "The Omega has the protective instincts of an Alpha, without the violence."  No wonder Anna could force Leah to explain herself, without even knowing it.  An Omega mated to a strong dominant, drawing on his strength?  Wow.

Is the witch blood why Bran, Samuel, and Asil haven't gone off like Isabelle did?  They are, after all, over 6 times as old as she was.  What will the different type of witch blood in the born werewolf produce, beyond what he's already got? 

Now that he's not being stalked by Mariposa, will Asil leave?  Go back to his previous pack, go lone, start a new pack?

What, beyond getting crazier and learning more dark spells, was Mariposa doing during the last 200 years?  How did she get to Montana?  What other werewolves have suffered for her insanity? 

Will Charles build more onto his house to make room for Anna?  What job will she get?  Now that she's among others as musical as herself, how much will she bloom?  Will her family stick around a little, so we can learn a little more about them and her?

Is that area of the Cabinets now going to be more amiable to humans, or werewolves?

Will Walter's Post Traumatic Stress accidental killing of the postal carrier be marked solved now?  Does he have any family who can be informed that he lived and died a hero, giving up their company to maintain safety for them and their neighbors, and then stopping a danger of almost incalculable evil?

Is there someone who can be trusted to do some tests and start training Anna in the unexpected magical talent she's demonstrated?  Will they get any time for things like that, along with healing, before the next crisis demands their attention?

Oh, lots of lovely questions are bred and hatching here.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

opramum

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2008, 07:24:44 pm »

OK, she did loan them until other people get theirs from Amazon.  Mine ships today!

Pwttth, Momi, quite trying to play the innocent. I know you read it!!
Esteemed member of the SOOGA

mystify

• Mechanic
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2008, 08:36:27 pm »
LOL - I should be in bed - I have to work in the morning but I just finished the book. I loved it!!! I really wasn't as excited for this book as I have been for the Mercy books and while I did want to read it, I bought it right away for the Bone Crossed exerpt more than anything.
I loved this book for all the good things that have already been stated. It was so nice to get back into a familar world and yet be in a different story. I love the way some of the things were described like when Bran started helping pack Anna's apartment and she thought it was like the president mowing the grass or something. Such great writing.
I wasn't so sure of Anna as a heroine from On the Prowl but now I think she's great. She's so strong and she doesn't even realize it.
I would love to see a Sage and Asil story. There are so many questions now still to be answered and I'm definitely looking forward to more books.
And lastly, did anyone besides me have a craving for jerky while reading this story? :)

Demi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2008, 05:04:36 am »
Still nothing here. I´m kind of depressed... :'(
Addicted to the tales from the Bard of Hurog

luvstraberries

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2008, 06:55:53 am »
I called about 5 different B&N and none were available till today, well I was persistent and struck pay dirt and picked up my copy last night at 5:15 p.m and finished reading about 2:20 a.m.  I am happily dragging through the day.

All I can say is WOW!!

:)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2008, 08:34:23 am »
I'm headed to Barnes & Noble in about two hours to go pick it up. They'd better have it out on the shelves! Their shipments come in late sometimes on Tuesdays. (crosses fingers)!
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)