Author Topic: [A&O #1] Cry Wolf Discussion  (Read 70293 times)

Triakel

• Tinker
[A&O #1] Cry Wolf Discussion
« on: July 05, 2008, 01:48:51 pm »
I'm soooooooooooooooo excited, I can't even spell right. And I'm shouting. Sorry. But I have to set my clock tomorrow so I can invade SF Bokhandeln when they open. I can't belive it's here already. Why didn't I check the release list on friday night? I could have had it in my hand today! I could have read it already!!!

BTW, I thought it wouldn't be released until august? Does anyone know why my bookstore gets books early? I'm starting to think there's a mystery here. The Anita books, Christine Feehans books, Patty's books. Gotten all of them ahead of release date. Is there an earlier releasedate for europe? Are they testing things in my tiny (but extremely well-stocked) swedish SF/Fantasy bookstore? Do they have a Terry Pratchett-like sorting machine in the basement (you know, Going Postal)?

/L

ETA: Title modified. Elle
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:31:19 pm by Elle »
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government... you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Re: Cry Wolf Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 02:14:46 pm »
Cook Triakel
I suspect that what's happening is that your awesome little bookstore, because it's not in the USA, is able to put the books on the shelves as soon as their stock arrives rather than holding it for the release date.    Most US-based stores will have to hold the book until the 29th of the month, though many of them fudge by a week or so.  ;)

Hope you enjoy the book!

All best,
Mike
Where's my super-suit?

Triakel

• Tinker
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 02:37:43 pm »
Oh, so they're doing something wrong? I'm not sure how I feel about that!
I mean, I love that I get to read it tomorrow. But I hope noone gets hurt by it. Could they get in trouble if the publishers found out?

Hmm. I'll still buy it tomorrow though!  ;D

Ps.
And I just caught up with the board (I've been at our country-house all summer) and I read about what you guys been through, and best wishes to Patty and all your family Mike!
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government... you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 03:19:05 pm »
A member at another board mentioned yesterday that already had his copy of Cry Wolf. He lives in Sweden, the lucky guy.

enjoy Triakel!!!
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 07:52:32 pm »
Oh, so they're doing something wrong? I'm not sure how I feel about that!
I mean, I love that I get to read it tomorrow. But I hope noone gets hurt by it. Could they get in trouble if the publishers found out?

Hmm. I'll still buy it tomorrow though!  ;D

Ps.
And I just caught up with the board (I've been at our country-house all summer) and I read about what you guys been through, and best wishes to Patty and all your family Mike!

No worries Triakel.  Really, there's two reasons the publishers set release dates.  The first is to give all bookstores a "fair" start on selling a book they expect to be popular.  The second is to maximize the possibility that a given book will place on the best seller lists.   We're hoping to see "Cry Wolf" on the bestseller lists, but it's mostly just an ego boost.    I'm not sure foreign sales even count for those.   Foreign sales are much more loosely regulated, so I'm sure your bookstore isn't doing anything wrong.   In the US, a bookstore might get their hand slapped for releasing a book with a hard sell date early, but it's not a huge issue.  As I said, many bookstores fudge by a week or so.

At any rate, our earning depend on the total sales, not the time of the sales.  As long as you're not downloading a torrent of the book, we're tickled pink with sales wherever and however we can get them.   Sleep well Triakel, and enjoy your book guilt-free. ;D

P.S.  Thanks for the good wishes.  Patty's doing beautifully, healing up nicely, and is back to writing a few hours a day.   I'm sure the thoughts and prayers of everyone on the forums have paid off.  Thanks again! ;D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 07:54:39 pm by Mike Briggs »
Where's my super-suit?

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 03:26:36 am »
Ahw, I'm so going to move to Sweden!
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 04:29:10 am »
Ahw, I'm so going to move to Sweden!
*envious Hulk-green from toes to scalp* YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES ME TOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! GAAAAAHH!!!
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

white_unicorn

• Mechanic
  • The stories are written at Wattpad - Wolf_Lady :)
    • Wattpad - Stories
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 06:46:56 am »
I had already planned on moving up to Sweden... Now I have one more reason.... "Auntie, I am coming up!!!!" ;D ;D ;D

kerrilouise

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 08:07:58 am »
I picked up my copy of Cry Wolf on Tuesday from Murder One in London.

I know that they were flying out the door like hotcakes.

I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next Anna book.

Kerri

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 08:17:17 am »
Thanks for the heads up!!!!
I preordered but via amazon US - this will save me postage costs- I dont understand why amazon UK wont release the book with the US release date :P

Edit: I just ordered it! Although Murder One are out of stock at the moment- they will have more copies this Tuesday- and they will mail out the books to you.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 08:54:09 am by Has »
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Temari

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 12:04:17 pm »
How bizarre! I'll be calling Murder One first thing tomorrow!

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 07:39:21 pm »
i'm in the U.S. and i WAAANNNNTTTTTSSSSS it! i wants it, i wants it, i wants it!  (throws tantrum like little child) :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

p.s. (yes, the bad grammar is on purpose and enjoy the book for those who are lucky and get it early)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 07:58:36 pm »
Really strange how it's available in Sweden, but not Italy, Germany, or Britain, and not yet in the US.
I thought we'd be getting it before our European contingent, & we'd want to work the next writing challenge around that.
Now it's going to be even harder.  Sigh.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 10:36:44 pm »
*glares in the general direction of sweden* how come you up there in the north are so lucky?????  *cries*

GW  WK  WH

Temari

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 02:28:42 am »
Just called that Murder One place in London. I HAVE A COPY!!!! It'll be sent out to me next Tues, so I should get it Wed or Thurs next week.

SOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Thankyou so much Kerri for the pointer!