Author Topic: [A&O #1] Cry Wolf Discussion  (Read 70224 times)

mdauben

• Tinker
  • Sheep in Wolf's Clothing
Re: Cry Wolf Discussion
« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2008, 06:36:17 am »
Well, I just finally got around to reading Cry Wolf this week.  Despite the fact that I liked the short story Alpha and Omega, I was a little reluctant to read the novel for a couple reasons.  First, even though I enjoyed reading about the character of Anna in the short story, I was not sure she was someone I could continue to like in an ongoing series.  Where as Mercy from the original series is a strong, independent character, Anna seemed much more of a dependent "victim" in the short story, someone who's story was interesting but who I would have trouble relating to.  Second, I have read more than one "spin off" series like this, that was just never as good as the original series that spawned it.   

So, I have to admit I was setting myself up to be disappointed before I even started Cry Wolf.  ::)

Of course, once I finally did start reading it, to my pleasant supprise I was far from disappointed.  In fact, once I started I found myself unable to put the book down, and read the whole thing in one day!  The slow growth of Anna through the course of the story (from victim of Leo to dependent on Charles to taking her first steps to standing on her own two feet) was facinating , and the story itself exciting and interesting (seeing a bit more about witchcraft and areas of the larger supernatural world that have not been explored yet in the Mercy books , as well as getting to know more about Bran, his family and pack better).   While the book stands nicely on it's own, it still leaves many things open for the future, and I'll be looking forward to more stories of Anna & Charles.

So, in the end I have one more series to add to my "automatically pre-order" list.  Thanks Patricia!   ;D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 06:45:40 am by mdauben »
Mike

"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful."

BigMama

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2008, 10:20:37 am »
Good writing will always triumph and Patricia Briggs is now on my must read list. Cry Wolf is the beginning of another series in which I will await each installment with anticipation.  Will we alternate between Mercy and Anna now? I certainly hope so.
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

BadWolf

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2009, 08:43:14 am »
I haven't posted in aaaaaaaaages, but I'm back and I've finally finally FINALLY gotten round to reading Cry Wolf.

I'm loving it. Love Anna, love Charles.

I'm just at the bit where Anna and Charles meet Walter. I'm really curious about where the story is gonna go, especially the stuff about Asil and his past.

Also I really like Sage. She's kinda like if Kaylee from Firefly was a werewolf.

The only downside is the UK cover. But it's a very small downside. It's a very cool cover, I just don't think it represents the series very well.
Heroes are made when you make a choice.

Trust_Me

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2009, 05:35:42 pm »
Loved the A&O along with the Mercy Novels, the vampire crazed ended for me a long time ago and these books were ausome. I was first introduced to the novels by my sister, at first glance I'm thinking "Great, another monster novel dedicated to Vamp's." Thank you for proving me wrong and I ow my sister 15$ for being right about liking the story. Next time "Patty" comes to the Columbia Mall for a book signing I'll have to give her a high five.

liz

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2010, 04:16:34 pm »
Hi ! just wanted to add my KUDOS about "Cry Wolf".....read it in 2 1/2 days ! It was a real page turner !
I'll have to control myself from reading "Hunting Ground" till vacation (1st 2 wks in Sept) and after that I'll have to wait till Fall 2011.....:-'

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: [A&O #1] Cry Wolf Discussion
« Reply #140 on: November 28, 2016, 05:45:21 pm »
I haven't re-read this whole thread to check, but I did a re-read recently and I *FINALLY* thought "Hey, wait a minute. Very dominant Asil/Hussien; Omega Sarai.  Shouldn't there have been a pack living around them, connected by pack bonds? Shouldn't they have reacted to Sarai's being tortured and killed, the way that Isaac the Boston Alpha reacted to Otten's torture and murder?"

Or were the couple living as "lone wolves" not quite in any pack's territory?

Anybody have any thoughts on that?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #141 on: November 28, 2016, 05:50:20 pm »
I was under the impression that the witch wars affected the werewolves a bit too. Maybe they lost their pack?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #142 on: November 28, 2016, 05:58:07 pm »
Maybe, but as they say fairly constantly,
1. Werewolves aren't meant to be alone, they're pack creatures,
and
2. Omegas are too valuable to let just...fiddle around with humans & compounding medicines.  There should have been packs courting Sarai & Asil to join them, shouldn't there?

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #143 on: November 28, 2016, 06:48:49 pm »
I would think so. Though as dominant as Asil is, the alphas may not have wanted to gain him along with Sarai.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #144 on: November 28, 2016, 06:56:57 pm »
True, but wouldn't they want more wolves around them? That was long enough ago that maybe he was willing to be an Alpha again, or maybe he'd have done what he's done in Bran's pack, just skip the politics, unless someone challenges him.

Mostly, I'm wondering how Patty justifies their being on their own, because, Omega.  Also, I want to know how long they were mated, how old was Sarai when she died?

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2016, 07:03:32 pm »
I can only speculate.

Also, they might have tried to fake it if they were more interested in maintaining privacy.

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2016, 03:48:25 am »
More speculation coming up ... this was the time of the Spanish Inquisition. That could have been a factor.
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2016, 06:16:47 am »
Also, population density was much lower. Not as easy to locate or make contact with others if something had happened to the rest of the pack.