Author Topic: [A&O #1] Cry Wolf Discussion  (Read 70226 times)

proberts

Re: Cry Wolf Discussion
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2008, 08:55:12 pm »
I have read Cry Wolf from front to back twice and am on time number 3.  I reckon you could say that I think it is a pretty good book.  :)

I wanted to thank Mrs. Briggs from the bottom of my heart for her wonderful books.  I am so looking forward to her other books.  She is a wonderful story teller.  The first book I bought was The Hob's Bargain, so I've been a fan for awhile now. 

I wanted to tell this story on myself.  I refrained from buying the book containing Alpha and Omega thinking that the story would be essentially contained in the Cry Wolf book when it was published.  Oh, but I itched to buy it.  When I began reading Cry Wolf, I realized that it took up where Alpha and Omega ended.  I stopped reading, and made it to the book store - two actually, clear across town - before I found a copy of On the Prowl just before closing.  I then came home and stayed up until almost 1 AM to finish the story.  Bear in mind that I left my husband to put our son to bed, and this was a work night.  :laughs:  How will I ever train my child in moderation with a straight face?   

Demi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2008, 03:12:45 am »
They keep telling me here in germany it is available in august.
I don´t look around here at the moment because i don´t want to
catch i spoiler :) I hope i will get it soon.

I don´t quite understand why the book did not launch
here the same time like in the usa.
Addicted to the tales from the Bard of Hurog

dryad

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2008, 02:07:39 pm »
Hi!  I've just joined the board, but I've been a fan of Ms. Briggs for quite a while.  I first read The Hob's Bargain, and then when I ran across Moon Called, I picked it up because I remembered how much I enjoyed the writing.  And I'm totally hooked.   ;D

So I pre-ordered my copy of Cry Wolf from Amazon.com and it came yesterday.  I called a few friends to gloat a couple of hours later when I was a third of the way through.  Well, now I've finished the book, and am squeeing!

I have a though about Asil and Sage -- and yes, I think it would be cool to see something between them.  Asil's mate bond has been active all this time, since Sarai's death.  Mariposa had usurped it and was using it to hunt him and to try to call him to her; so he wasn't free to mate again.  Since Sarai's wolf/ghost has now been released by the witch's death and he's now free...it may be possible for him to mate again.  Just thought.

Otherwise, I'm pleased to see Anna's arc, regaining strength and confidence.  I'm also happy with how Charles is developing.  He's smiling and playing!  That is SO cool.

And learning more about Bran and his Berserker past gave me chills.  With the timeline and such, I think he *could* be the original Marrok.  Oy.

I'll be reading this again.  AND waiting for the next.  The only problem with getting the books right away is that I now have to wait for a WHOLE YEAR until the next Anna & Charles is ready.  And another six-ish months until Bone Crossed is out.  Whatever will I do?

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2008, 02:30:59 pm »
My copy arrived!!!!!!!!! Now, I will go home, park my butt on the couch, ignore the cat and the laundry, and READ.  :)
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2008, 02:37:03 pm »
whoo hoo :D

You're gonna love it ;)
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

SanLynn

• Tool Wrangler
  • I'm a fig newton of your imagination
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2008, 03:20:48 pm »
Well I have to say after reading this book I'm.... sort of surprised. Since I first read Moon Called I've wanted to know more about the Montana pack and Bran and Charles. But I expected this book to be about Charles and Anna with Bran, Leah and the Montana pack in the background.

So it was a very pleasant surprise to see Bran featured much more prominently than I was expecting. And to get a bit of back story to boot. The addition of Asil was fantastic and the way Patty showed us Anna's effect on the pack was so well done.

I can't wait to see what happens next in this series. And now I have to go find the thread were we talk about the Bones Crossed excerpt because... EEP!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:31:18 pm by SanLynn »

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2008, 09:12:14 pm »
Woooohoooo!!!! *happy dance*
My copy was sent out yesterday, so it should be here today!! Hopefully they leave it with the neighbours if I'm not home yet!!
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2008, 09:14:52 pm »
Yay, Snoopy! *furtively dances a few steps behind the beagle*
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kyra_Athena

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2008, 05:32:39 am »
I just finished Cry Wolf and I really enjoyed the book.  It took me a little bit of time to get into it due to the distractions around here.  When it arrived, I started reading it immediately and finished it a few hours later.   

I have a few questions as to when this book takes place and how it will fit into the Mercy books.  I did comparisons from memory with the Mercy books.   

Some of these points are musings on my part so I'm not expecting answers to any of them, seriously. 

1.  Charles found Anna in the Alpha and Omega novella.  The trouble in Chicago was mentioned in one of the Mercy books, as Leo's pack was the one capturing humans and forcing them to Change for pay from Gerry Wallace.  Charles has appeared solo in the Mercy books, so I assumed they were before meeting Anna.  Considering their bond, Charles would not like leaving Anna behind. 
2.  Anna's arrival in Aspen Creek coincided with Doc Wallace's funeral.  Doc Wallace, the vet, died at the end of Moon Called.
3.  Samuel has been sent to live with Mercy, but he hasn't moved in with her yet.  Samuel moved in with Mercy near the end of Moon Called.   Samuel was seen at the beginning of Moon Called when Mercy arrived in Aspen Creek with an injured Adam.  That leads me to believe the funeral took place prior to his return and move in with her. 
4.  I never thought of the inhabitants of Aspen Creek as being defective or psychotic.  Mercy's foster father was suicidal, but that frequently happens with the wolves when they become too old and unstable.  It was interesting to learn more about the little town and how the wolves intermingle with their mortal families. 

It was good to find out more about Bran and Samuel's origins.  I thought Bran was possibly medieval because he was old when he encountered Charles' mother in North America.  I found it interesting that Bran was so vicious and monstrous that he may have been inspiration for Beowulf.  Bran and Samuel's dislike of magic is also explained.  If Bran was the original from Beowulf, Samuel could be the original Big Bad Wolf from Little Red Riding Hood.

Bran is described as handsome, but more unassuming than anything, not what a Marrok is expected to look like.  Samuel looks more rugged, but resembles Bran.  As Bran's mother had her pet transform them both, it was not at the same time.  So Bran was changed first, Samuel reached adulthood, past the point where Bran was transformed, making him look older?

Was Bran's mother and Samuel's grandmother always evil or did the desire for power corrupt her? I would say that she was not always evil as Bran and Samuel are not evil.  You know the saying, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". 

Nice touch with having Bran eating his mother, a traditional motif in European folklore and mythology.  There are other stories, but I was thinking of Taliesin and Ceridwen in particular.  Did Bran have magical inclinations through his mother's line or did the consumption of his power-hungry mother give him those talents? Does he have more magical talent than he reveals? Does Samuel have any magical talents?

5. Are wolves more prone to magical influence or is it just Bran, Charles, and Samuel due to their witchy heritage? Samuel was bewitched by Marsilia.  Charles and Bran were influenced by Mariposa. 

That leads to questions about Elizabeth Arkadyevna's line and if they are gray or black witches.  White witches are considered inferior power-wise and Elizabeth is considered rather powerful.  I would assume they are just very opportunistic and capitalistic gray witches, especially as Elizabeth had to leave town when the vampire-sorcerer was alive.

6.  Was European history different in this timeline? In Spain, when the Catholic Kings, Ferdinand and Isabella, came to power the Inquisition started up and Jews and Muslims were cast out or forced to convert.  That was in 1492-ish, not 200 years ago as was mentioned with Asil and Sarai.  Some sort of witch civil war was mentioned.  Asil was/is a Muslim.  Of course, the wolves and witches could have simply concealed themselves and kept themselves far from human affairs. 

7.  The alpha and alpha's mate issues have been touched upon briefly with Bran's thoughts on mating and his relationship with Leah.  I can't say I like Leah as she doesn't like Mercy and tried to do her in on occasion.  I can't say I think much of her relationship, especially as she was specifically chosen because she was "stupid and selfish".  It is interesting to note that she can use Bran's power or at least a little of it.  I'm not sure if I like that or not, considering how "stupid and selfish" she is.  She may be his mate, but she is also the scorned woman, never to be truly loved by Bran and that makes her dangerous.

I assume Mercy will now have some werewolf power to draw upon as Adam's mate.  Will she also get some immortality from it if he is the alpha?

It's nice to note that she is gaining power and allies.  I keep going back to the LKH/Anita Blake disaster so bear with me on this one. 

8.  If Bran's mother was a witch and Charles' grandfather was a medicine man, he has a magical heritage from both sides.  I assume more of Charles' magical potential will be explored.  I believe he received some instruction from his mother's relatives.  He is an immortal being from a vanishing and dying people so I assume he knows about more than just being a werewolf. 

Bone Crossed preview comments

I'm looking forward to hearing more about Mercy's mother and how Mercy's relationship with Adam will progress.  Of course the vamps appear to be out to get her and Stefan, presumably for killing Andre, and the fey still owe her.  Mercy is getting a powerful alliance behind her with the Morrigan, Zee, and Bran behind her. 

Volvos are from Sweden, but I think someone already mentioned that.   

I can't wait to get Bone Crossed, although I feel the suspense is cruel and unusual punishment. 

Just kidding! I'm looking forward to it.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 11:46:05 pm by Elle »

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2008, 11:17:11 am »
I assume Mercy will now have some werewolf power to draw upon as Adam's mate.  Will she also get some immortality from it if he is the alpha?

I don't see why she would. We have seen human mates grow old. However, I could see it enhance a trait Mercy may already posses, a longer life span. It does mention that she doesn't quite look her age I believe.

Kyra_Athena

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2008, 11:37:16 am »
Hopefully she will have a longer lifespan as a walker.  If she does age as a human, I believe Adam would be more able to handle this than Samuel who has lost far too many wives to date. 

So little is known or has been revealed about her talents aside from shifting to coyote form, immunity to magic, and being able to see ghosts.  Obviously immortal werewolves have been mated to very mortal humans.  She can get hurt, quite badly so a little werewolf boost there would be helpful. 

danceswithwaves

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2008, 07:21:31 pm »
1.  Charles found Anna in the Alpha and Omega  novella.  The trouble in Chicago was mentioned in one of the Mercy books, as Leo's pack was the one capturing humans and forcing them to Change for pay from Gerry Wallace.  Charles has appeared solo in the Mercy books, so I assumed they were before meeting Anna.  Considering their bond, Charles would not like leaving Anna behind.
2.  Anna's arrival in Aspen Creek coincided with Doc Wallace's funeral.  Doc Wallace, the vet, died at the end of Moon Called.
3.  Samuel has been sent to live with Mercy, but he hasn't moved in with her yet.  Samuel moved in with Mercy near the end of Moon Called.   Samuel was seen at the beginning of Moon Called when Mercy arrived in Aspen Creek with an injured Adam.  That leads me to believe the funeral took place prior to his return and move in with her.

Doing this from memory, here are the days as I see it:
Day 1: Mercy finds Adam injured and brings him to Aspen Creek.  Talks to Charles during hunt.
Day 2: Mercy leaves Aspen Creek with Adam and Samuel and goes to Warren's house.
Day 3 (Thanksgiving): Adam's pack goes out hunting for Jesse, Adam gets kidnapped, Mercy and Co instigate rescue and Gerry Wallace dies.  A few hours later, Dr Wallace dies.  Charles flies to Chicago and meets Anna.
Day 4: Charles gets shot in front of restaurant, talks to pack in evening and gets shot more, and is bandaged and placed in holding room with Anna.
Day 5: Bran flies in to Chicago, gets Anna packed up, and flies back to Aspen Creek with Anna and Charles.
Day 6: Dr. Wallace's funeral.

After day 3, Moon called skips a few days, so we're not sure what happens between the end of the rescue and Mercy's date with Adam, so Samuel could have disappeared a day or so easily without us knowing.

5. Are wolves more prone to magical influence or is it just Bran, Charles, and Samuel due to their witchy heritage? Samuel was bewitched by Marsilia.  Charles and Bran were influenced by Mariposa.

The magic Samuel came under I saw as general vampire magic, only Mercy is immune to most of that, which is why only Samuel was affected in the scene -- besides the underlying political reasons.  The reaction he had on coming out from the spell was from being a werewolf.  Charles and Bran were influenced by Mariposa through Asil and his mate-bond to Sarai.  Mariposa was one of the last living (I got the impression that she was the last) witch who knew how to influence werewolves -- there had been others, but they died.  Remember that Anna and Walter weren't influenced because they weren't part of the pack (though Anna was kind of at first -- maybe because she was kind of part of the pack, just not official yet) because Mariposa was using the pack bonds.  Which was why when she gave Anna the order to stay still, right before Anna knocked her out, and Anna remembered that being Omega meant she didn't have to take orders, she was suddenly free.

6.  Was European history different in this timeline? In Spain, when the Catholic Kings, Ferdinand and Isabella, came to power the Inquisition started up and Jews and Muslims were cast out or forced to convert.  That was in 1492-ish, not 200 years ago as was mentioned with Asil and Sarai.  Some sort of witch civil war was mentioned.  Asil was/is a Muslim.  Of course, the wolves and witches could have simply concealed themselves and kept themselves far from human affairs.

I couldn't find the inquisition mentioned -- do you remember where it was?
“Coming home from very lonely places, all of us go a little mad: whether from great personal success, or just an all-night drive, we are the sole survivors of a world no one else has ever seen.”
~John LeCarre

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2008, 08:19:19 pm »
The Inquisition lasted until Napoleon invaded Spain in the early 19th century, so 200 years ago would have been right on.  In fact, Patty mentions that the Napoleonic invasion is part of what stops the witch wars.  She has her history right on.

Kyra_Athena

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2008, 06:01:09 am »
Spain under Ferdinand and Isabella was very intolerant toward non-Catholics.  Jews and Muslims were forcibly expelled from Spain.  If they chose to stay, they were forced to convert and may have fallen under the suspicion of the Inquisition.  You didn't want to be a suspected witch either.   Many of the ones expelled from Spain resettled in the eastern Mediterranean, such as Turkey and Romania, which may explain why Asil was in that location.   

http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/PlainTextHistories.asp?ParagraphID=gti

Asil says that he was a devout Muslim or had been.  Was he hiding his religion as well as being a werewolf? I assume being a werewolf was no better than being a witch as far as risk.  I gathered that the witches and werewolves of Spain knew about each other, as that is how Mariposa came to be in Asil and Sarai's care. 

I thought that perhaps they were in an isolated community, at least that's the way I envisioned it.  Due to not aging, Sarai and Asil probably had to move around every so often anyway. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 06:38:51 am by Kyra_Athena »

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2008, 01:37:36 pm »
Hey guys - just to let you know- there are a few us in the chat room right now and we are about to discuss the book- would be great to see some of you there :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D