Author Topic: Mercy and the Were-Walker Question  (Read 24010 times)

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
Re: Were-walker
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 06:17:01 am »
yeah I just reread the post and went "duh! why didn't I read that right the first time?!"
But it would be interesting to see what happens... would they be full human, full walker, full were, or were-walker, or would it be a mix of all four (one kid is a human, one a were, one a walker, ect.)
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Nifty

• Mechanic
Were-walker, or what would happen if Mercy gets infected
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 02:18:24 pm »
A question from the Ask Patty section: 
First, of course is the question, prevents the walker-status a were-status? I would think not, but who knows (except the author).
Of course that would lead to the question where are the other were-walkers? Well, as far as I understand is an walker extreeeeeemly rare. So it actually could happen that there never where any were-walkers (the Vamps came over rahter early into the walker-area, and began their genocide).

Now, if it is possible that an walker can be infected, what will be the result (with her integration into the werewolf-society an obvious question)?

Best case, all the advantages and none of the drawbacks. Means, mercy would have the wolf-strength, the wolf-regeneration etc. but would retain the walker-speed and most important the walker-controll.

Able to withstand the call of the moon, practically imortal etc.

Worst case she will become an standard were, and loose the walker completely.

I, for one, would really NOT like to see Mercy become a were-anything...other than the Walker she already is.  One of the things I like best about Mercy as an urban-fantasy protagonist is that she's very limited...and yet she still gets the job done.  I LIKE that she doesn't have super-strength or super-speed or super-healing ability.  I like that when she's in her non-human form, she's just a little ol' 35-pound coyote, no different from any other coyote except for her human intellect.  I like that because he IS limited in her abilities, she has to rely on her friends for help.  Protagonists with limitations give me a reason to cheer...and to keep me reading...because 1) it's fun to root for the underdog and 2) it's plausible to believe that maybe, just maybe, the protagonist WON'T win.   Don't get me wrong...of course I WANT Mercy to always win in the end.  But part of what keeps me interested in her story is the fear that maybe she'll come up against something that will best her.  It's just more fun to read about her triumphs when she's so much less -- supernatural-ability-wise -- than her opponents. 

I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

berneynator

• Grease Monkey
Re: Were-walker, or what would happen if Mercy gets infected
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »
Question- in the event of a walker's transformation into a werewolf, would the walker stop being able to become a coyote? Have both forms? Or does the coyote simply stay as other-form but include the weres' special abilities? And by the way, I also very much like Mercy's ingenuity and the involvement of her friends. It makes them seem more like characters and real, integral parts of Mercy's life than cutouts. It also shows that Mercy understands the value of asking for help and isn't stupid enough to let pride overpower sense. If she has a friend who can help, she usually asks for it. Also, you get to find out all sorts of neat things about the side characters, like Ben the not-rapist and skillful scarer of teenage boys, or Kyle the defense lawyer.

Schlinkie

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 12:26:11 pm »
Well, unless there was some freak moose attack, I don't see Mercy willingly trying to Change given her control issues.

But hypothetically, would she even be able to be infected?  She is magic-resistant in other areas, so it's possible the werewolf magic wouldn't work on her and she would just die. 

Assuming she was able to Change though, the walker magic is an innate ability so it doesn't seem like she could lose it, it would just be part of her "human" side.  She would still have to change into a wolf with the moon, or with her emotions, and go through a painful change to that form, but would be able to slip into her coyote form whenever she was calm.

I really don't think the were magic would work on her though, due to her magical resistance.  Plus, she does refer to her "coyote side" the way the weres refer to their wolves in Iron Kissed when Fideal is chasing her. 

"Sudden, unreasoning fear clenched my stomach until I regretted the Diet Coke.  That I had no real reason for the fear didn't lessen its impact.  The coyote had decided I was ignoring her and insisted that he was a threat." IK p. 186

To me, it really seems like a wolf side wouldn't be able to take over since there already is a second aspect there.

berneynator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 06:42:43 pm »
To me, it really seems like a wolf side wouldn't be able to take over since there already is a second aspect there.

Hmmm.... I don't quite understand what you mean. Why wouldn't the other personality/form/whatever be able to overpower the human one... or *flash of insight* do you mean specifically in a walker-were, and the "second aspect" you refer to is the coyote?

Schlinkie

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 07:33:18 pm »
Yeah, I meant the coyote as a second "personality?" within Mercy.  The weres have the human side? aspect? and the wolf, like how Samuel was able to have the wolf accept Mercy as his mate before the human side loved her.  Mercy doesn't talk about her coyote side as much as the weres talk about the wolf side, so it isn't really clear if the coyote is another side or just another shape, but then in Iron Kissed she is talking about the coyote as a "she" as if she is another person/mind/something outside of Mercy. I'm really not sure what the proper word is.  But then when Mercy is in her coyote form she doesn't have coyote taking over or anything, she's still Mercy.  But we don't get to be inside the head of any of the weres in wolf or human form to compare though either.  I suppose we will get to more with Anna in Cry Wolf.

Hrm...not sure if I'm making any sense.

Here's a Samuel quote from Iron Kissed "Look, I know my father spends a lot of time trying to convince the new wolves that the human and wolf are two halves of a whole -- but that's not really true.  It is just easier to live with and most of the time it's so close to being truth that it doesn't matter.  But we're different, the wolf and the human.  We think differently." p 136

Now the fact that Sam is explaining this to Mercy means that the interaction between the coyote & her is different than the wolf & Sam, but that quote about the coyote deciding Mercy was ignoring her really stood out to me as coyote being something separate from Mercy.

So then, if there is already Mercy & coyote in Mercy, could there really be Mercy, coyote and wolf?  If coyote is just another shape and she is only Mercy, then she could be Mercy & wolf, and I think then she could still shift to coyote or change into wolf.

Also, thinking more on the thread about Mercy aging...

http://hurog.com/forum/index.php?topic=848.0

I had thought there really wouldn't be any way Mercy would try to go through the Change, given how she struggles against the pack structure and is afraid of the Alpha making her do things she doesn't want to.  But would Adam try to pressure Mercy into trying to Change, if she does age and he is afraid of losing her?  Obviously wouldn't be something happening any time soon, but if we're talking hypotheticals...?

MadMcAl

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 08:29:47 am »
Actually the age-question was what started the thought-line for me. But it didn't end there.

Think about it, the innate ability of an walker is rather close to the gained ability of an werewolf.

Or, in other words, a walker who changes into an coyote is not so very far away from an werewolf who changes into an wolf.

We also know that with the help of the native american magic it is possible to "create" an enhanced werewolf, who changes forms in unreached time (except of course Mercy as an walker, who is even faster).
So the idea now was that it could create an synergy-effect between walker-magic and werewolf-magic, creating an sort of super-werewolf.
The speed and controll of the walker (including the ability to not change forms at full moon, what of course would make her endangered by every other female werewolf *g*) and the strength and regeneration of the werewolf (including the eternal youth).

The innate magic resistance is just that. A resistance. Not a immunity. So it should be possible to infect her.
And, even if the werewolf-community untill now hasn't thought about using immune-supression-drugs to aid the transformation (and even if until now there were practially no omegas to preserve the sanity of the transformed), when this question comes to Mercy out of old age, I can't see that it will not be used.
Remember, the weres are not longer limited to the services of 2 MD's, but can now use whole research labs if so wished.
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
Re: Fairy Brew?
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 08:15:23 pm »
I wonder, if Mercy is not immortal, and she decided to become a were.... what would she become?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
Re: Fairy Brew?
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 10:32:08 pm »
talyn,
but I guess Mercy's innate magic might prevent her from getting infected in the first place...

GW  WK  WH

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
Re: Mercy and the Were-Walker Question
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 03:22:22 pm »
Adam says that he wouldn't change a hair on her head
Howl more, whine less

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 01:30:26 pm »
Just skimmed over this thread, and it's interesting how much information we now have on these subjects touched on here.  Let's see...
1. Mercy's children will not be walkers, because unless one parent is the Primal, the gene has to come from both parents.
2. Mercy being a first generation walker, she probably can't be changed to a werewolf, her genetic make up is probably... DNAdamantium, if you will.
3. We still don't know if she could have werewolf children, but she can probably carry babies to term without any particular difficulty otherwise. 
4. We don't have to worry about "what if she chooses Samuel over Adam" any more. LOL
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 08:29:05 am »
On 1- are you sure? I was under the impression that is had been so long since the Primals had mingled with humans that that was the case. It seemed like it was implied that it took generations before Coyote's first daugheter's decendents lost the ability.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2012, 08:34:09 am »
Good point, Z.  Maybe that would be something to Ask Patty.  Of course, Coyote seems to have more descendants anchoring him here than most of the primals >D so his power may be somewhat stronger than that of most of the others, but he isn't what he once was, now is he?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2012, 09:12:01 am »
I agree with Zealith unless we hear otherwise.
"The chief's daughter, who was, for a while, Coyote's wife, had a daughter-and she could walk as coyote or human, and so could her sons."
I think Mercy's children have a chance of being walkers, even if her grandchildren don't. I would think the walker magic would have to last for at least a few generations, otherwise you wouldn't have enough walkers to start a self-sustaining population.
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

Grandpappy Wycked

• Pack Member
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2012, 09:58:32 am »
What has me the most curious is if her offspring could be an actual Were-Walker in the way Charles is a Were-Medicine Man. If for instance, she were to have a Daughter, and the magic of the Were and the magic of the Walker merged, allowing her to say have the strength, stamina and Sister Coyote (I can't see Wolf out ruling Coyote in one of Coyote's offspring) of the Were, but the ability to change like a Walker. Does this also lay the ground work for her Grand Children following along with the same effect...
Sanity has Left The Building.
Please Contact Patti L. for further instructions.