Author Topic: Mercy and the Were-Walker Question  (Read 22888 times)

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
Mercy and the Were-Walker Question
« on: August 04, 2007, 12:03:37 am »
I don't think Mercy will ever try the Change: part of the reason are the risks involved, but mainly because she's too independent to stay in a pack, never mind that she hates most of the pack's rules that right now she can avoid respecting. Moreover, she'd be bound to obedience to Bran and her Alpha (whomever he is)...  ::) However, in order to know what would be the effects, we should consider a lot of variables: for instance, what magic is more powerful, the were's one or the walker's one? And, would one magic prevail on the other, or would they blend into something new?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 03:16:40 am by Good Mazoku »
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

thehuntress

Were-walker
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 01:20:35 am »
I just can't see Mercy attempting the change.  She's too stubborn to give up who she is.  That's part of why she fights the attraction to Adam.  To be honest, I can see that whomever she chooses, the relationship will falter after a few years.  She would probably be much happier long term with someone entirely different (and by different, I do not mean Stefan.  That would have a whole different set of difficulties, despite being a little creepy).

Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to see her happy with one of the weres.

zaw

Were-walker
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 01:45:00 am »
i think she should, but i don't think she will.
(she's such a stubborn hard-ass lol)
i have no problem with a dual walker-were.

zaw

Were-walker
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 01:47:04 am »
a lone-wolf i think

Taphien

• Grease Monkey
Were-walker
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 07:09:54 am »
I doubt she CAN be changed. Didn't Stefan say something along the lines that she couldn't be turned vampire? I think the same goes turning were.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
Were-walker
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 08:10:42 am »
I think Stephan said that it is unlikely that she can be turned into a vampire, but he's not sure either. But you're right, what with her being immune to most magic, maybe she can't become were.  :)

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
Were-walker
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 02:22:58 pm »
oh no worries... I don't expect her to go were at all, though it might be interesting... I was jusat wondering if such a thing as a were-walker could occur, and if it could how would it work? But no, I don't think Mercy will try the change (but who knows? She may surprise us) and I am not even sure if I would really want Mercy to be a were-walker.... but it is an interesting little scenario.... Maybe the two forms would sort of merge... a werewolf-coyote cross form, and changing would be less (or more painful depending on which perspective you are looking at), and maybe have all the powers of both, but in a possibly weaker form? Jeez, If we ever see one of these things I hope it's on Mercy's side...
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

jenniwee

• Mechanic
Were-walker
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 03:34:21 pm »
What really makes this question interesting is not whether or not Mercy would ever try to change (cause I think it's pretty clear she wouldn't) but exactly what kind of were-walker hybrids her children would be.  (Assuming of course she choses Sam or Adam and has kids with him.) 

Mercy seems to be exceedingly rare in the preternatural world.  Stephan seems to imply that even when the vamps first arrived (pretty early in the settlement of the West, if I'm reading that correctly) walkers were not very common. 

The vamps are extremely interested in her, but not IMO just because she can destroy them.  Afterall, Marsilia does not tell the entire seethe about mercy's power until she is forced to at Stephan's trial.  I can't believe her motives would ever be altruistic, so what is it about Mercy that would cause the Mistress to shield her from the rest of the seethe?  In addition, I don't think that Stephan's interest in Mercy is in any way simple or even benevolent.  He is very interested in the survival of his kind and I wonder if he thinks that Mercy could somehow aid in that.

In addition, Bran is extremely protective of Mercy and seems to be very interested in her to the point of shielding her from his son, who thinks that Mercy will cure his heartache.  Basically, I don't think Bran intended Mercy for Samuel.  i think he knows more about walkers than he is letting on, and possibly sees her as the rare and special creature that she is and chose to raise and protect her for those reasons.  I don't think he would have shared this information with Mercy because as she says in BB, Bran prefers to let people discover their strengths and weaknesses themselves (though in that case a warning on demons would probably have been the wiser course of action).

So my question would be what about Mercy is so intriguing to all these people?

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
Were-walker
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 03:56:27 pm »
Well,  she is Mercy. Her..... unusual personality attracts people as well as her being a walker (even if they don't realize it at first). And the children issue is assuming she could even have children if she was changed... we don't know if she would be able to postpone the change untill the end of the pregnancy, and if she did... would it take so much of her strength that she dies as Charles' mother did? Also something the combination of walker and wolf may have a weird effect on.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Jerseybean

• Tool Wrangler
Were-walker
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 06:52:07 am »
Charles' mother was a walker wasn't she? And she was turned into a were no trouble.  I'm sure it was mentioned in MC that she had to follow the lunar changes and only her magic prevented that when she fell pregnant with Charles.  Stopping the changes then led to her death.  He dosn't seem to have any hybrid wolf/coyote thing going on except (I'm not sure I remember this right) did his change go more quickly/easily?

Taphien

• Grease Monkey
Were-walker
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 09:55:03 am »
Charles' mother was a walker wasn't she? And she was turned into a were no trouble.  I'm sure it was mentioned in MC that she had to follow the lunar changes and only her magic prevented that when she fell pregnant with Charles.  Stopping the changes then led to her death.  He dosn't seem to have any hybrid wolf/coyote thing going on except (I'm not sure I remember this right) did his change go more quickly/easily?

As far as I remember she was a shaman/shaman-trained.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
Were-walker
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 10:56:57 am »
I don't recall her being a walker either... :-\

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
Were-walker
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 01:54:22 pm »
I recall something about her being the medicine man's daughter, but I might be just pulling that out of thin air... (I am in a bad(?) habit of creating made-up backgrounds for characters without realizing it  :-[) but as far as I know, she had magic, but wasn't a walker.

jenniwee

• Mechanic
Were-walker
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 05:49:59 pm »
Actually, when I said were-walker children, I meant the children Mercy would have when (if) mated to a were.  They would be hybrids becausse of their parents, not because Mercy would Change.

Cole

• Grease Monkey
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
Were-walker
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 06:47:01 pm »
or they could be completely different because the children might just be purely human or walker because the walker's resistence to magic might cancel out the were's

There is no place like /~