Author Topic: Particular Scenes that make you cry or laugh  (Read 18272 times)

Dianne

• Tool Wrangler
  • I'm in your room and I'm reading All your books!
    • Books & Chat
Particular Scenes that make you cry or laugh
« on: June 22, 2008, 12:39:53 pm »
I just wanted to ask...

I've read this entire series so much that I had to go out and buy all new books (I really hope that Rhapsody or one of the other hardcover clubs picks this series up soon so I can replace my books yet again)

But Blood Bound Iron Kissed (*oops ... corrected mistake*)is the one that everytime I read it, I cry.  At least 5 times now, I've cried over Mercy's plight, her fear and helplessness, and her saviors help. The fact that Ms Briggs wrote the scene so powerfully that we didn't need every horrid detail spelled out, was woinderful.  I love that we were left to our imaginations this way, it made it more powerful for me.

SO my question is  -   Does anyone else cry over these scenes?

Did anyone else see the humor (as did I) in this scene?   pg 239 -  "His voice stopped because Adam dropped an arm (not one of his)and focused on Ben. "

ETA: Title modified. Elle
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 09:01:59 pm by Elle »

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: Crying/Laughing
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 12:53:34 pm »
I found that scene really hard to read- but I think the aftermath was a big tear jerker for me. Especially with Ben's revelations about his past, Mercy torn feelings and  Adam's guilt.
But I did laugh at line- I love black humour :D

By the way there will be a special hardback edition called Preying for Mercy- it will be released by the SFBC you can find the thread here
http://hurog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1251.0
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 12:54:08 pm »
Oh yeah, that one made me laugh, with the arm. A little black humor there, for sure.

I cry every time I read that scene and I agree that the way that Patty wrote the scene was wonderful, much more powerful than if she detailed it. In fact, I was slow to catch onto what was happening and then I was "Oh not, I must have read it wrong". Powerful, very powerful.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Dianne

• Tool Wrangler
    • Books & Chat
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 01:24:35 pm »
I found that scene really hard to read- but I think the aftermath was a big tear jerker for me. Especially with Ben's revelations about his past, Mercy torn feelings and  Adam's guilt.
But I did laugh at line- I love black humour :D

By the way there will be a special hardback edition called Preying for Mercy- it will be released by the SFBC you can find the thread here
http://hurog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1251.0
Ohhh   ----------- Bless you my child, and may I have your permission to use this info at Books & Chat????  PLease!!!!

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 01:34:31 pm »
Sure go ahead :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 02:11:38 pm »
By the way, did you mean in "Blood Bound", or in "Iron Kissed"?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 08:51:29 pm »
I bawl every time I read the conversation between Adam and Ben. I manage to hold back the tears until then, but that just does me in.

Did anyone else see the humor (as did I) in this scene?   pg 239 -  "His voice stopped because Adam dropped an arm (not one of his)and focused on Ben. "
Yep, this had me LOL!! Black, very black... :D
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

Dianne

• Tool Wrangler
    • Books & Chat
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 05:02:39 am »
By the way, did you mean in "Blood Bound", or in "Iron Kissed"?
Meant Iron Kissed...my mistake, but thankfully everyone knew what I was talking about!!!

white_unicorn

• Mechanic
  • The stories are written at Wattpad - Wolf_Lady :)
    • Wattpad - Stories
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 07:44:25 am »
Actually I laugh earlier in the book.... when Sam tells her he is not interested and she says "you are speeding" and with the bathroom scene that Adam will keep the carpenters busy... but every time I get to Ben's and Adam's conversation I lock my self in room and just let the wailing begin... It reminds me of when I watched "The Dead Poet's Society" I don't think I will ever sit down and watch that with anyone... "Just leave me in my misery..."

Anyway, I never admit it but some scenes really make me wail... "I'll keep your secret if you keep mine" :D ;D

Dianne

• Tool Wrangler
    • Books & Chat
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 11:00:19 am »
Actually I laugh earlier in the book.... when Sam tells her he is not interested and she says "you are speeding" and with the bathroom scene that Adam will keep the carpenters busy... but every time I get to Ben's and Adam's conversation I lock my self in room and just let the wailing begin... It reminds me of when I watched "The Dead Poet's Society" I don't think I will ever sit down and watch that with anyone... "Just leave me in my misery..."

Anyway, I never admit it but some scenes really make me wail... "I'll keep your secret if you keep mine" :D ;D
So far there is only one other book (well maybe 2) that does this to me.  No matter how often I read it, I bawl while reading  Iron Kissed and these-  J R Wards book Lover Eternal, and Sandra Hill's book The Outlaw Viking *shrug* what can I say!?

But I'll go to my grave keeping our secret!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 11:13:30 am »
Oh, there are all kinds of books that make me cry when I read certain scenes in them.
Many animal books, the collie books by Terhune, including Lad: A Dog, there's usually at least one scene in each Mercedes Lackey Valdemar book, Robinton's death in Pern.
I don't remember right now if I cried at what happened to Mercy, or Ben's revelation.
As I've said elsewhere, I could tell pretty much right away what Tim was doing to her, it was obvious to me that his mind worked that way.  Keeping the details 'off screen' was a very good call on Mrs. Briggs' part, it really would have been too much if there had been more blatant description. 
For laughing, though, I like some of the Sianam books, bits like in "When Demons Walk" where she ends the book, "No demons?  How boring!"  Or Ward doing his 'stupid' act, as when he re-named Pansy, & let him breed with the mare.
There are other authors that make me laugh more, but for a general light tone, when I want to wash gloom from my mind, Patricia Briggs is one of my comfort authors.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Dianne

• Tool Wrangler
    • Books & Chat
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 11:19:12 am »
Oh, there are all kinds of books that make me cry when I read certain scenes in them.
Many animal books, the collie books by Terhune, including Lad: A Dog, there's usually at least one scene in each Mercedes Lackey Valdemar book, Robinton's death in Pern.
I don't remember right now if I cried at what happened to Mercy, or Ben's revelation.
As I've said elsewhere, I could tell pretty much right away what Tim was doing to her, it was obvious to me that his mind worked that way.  Keeping the details 'off screen' was a very good call on Mrs. Briggs' part, it really would have been too much if there had been more blatant description. 
For laughing, though, I like some of the Sianam books, bits like in "When Demons Walk" where she ends the book, "No demons?  How boring!"  Or Ward doing his 'stupid' act, as when he re-named Pansy, & let him breed with the mare.
There are other authors that make me laugh more, but for a general light tone, when I want to wash gloom from my mind, Patricia Briggs is one of my comfort authors.
I know what you mean about not understanding immediatly what was happening to her, I really didn't either...but what made/makes me cry is the fact that she believed with here whole heart that she didn't deserve anyones love anymore and how she felt that death or running was the only way out -------Lord I really HATED Tim. 

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 11:24:31 am »
I think that is what made it so worst. Because Tim knew what he was doing especially about planning to rape her and killing Mercy. But he didnt want to appear that he was forcing her at the same time. When she was fighting the lure of the cup's influence he couldnt handle that. Yet he was forcing her all the same, he really thinks he is a nice guy  >:(

white_unicorn

• Mechanic
  • The stories are written at Wattpad - Wolf_Lady :)
    • Wattpad - Stories
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 10:37:25 pm »
Tim? He had the most perverted (?) idea of what a nice guy would do...

He just wanted the power that comes out of controlling other people and he hated himself because he wasn't as good as the others in things... some people are talented in many areas, others have to search deep in themselves to find their talent... he just wanted the easy way... there is no easy way....

I hated Tim and I was sooo angry with Adam when he said he would send Warren upstairs.... Ben was really great "tell your lord and master to come up here" that really made me like him more....

I laugh a lot with Davidson's Undead series and I cried the 1st time i read harry Potter the 3rd book... the scene where his godfather tells him he could stay with him... only to have that opportunity fly away with the Hippogriff... And on the 5th book when he falls through the veil.... and on the 7th.... oh well, I cry a lot with these kinds of scenes.... and I am getting off topic again.... *leaves to read Night Life, "Maybe this will cheer me up a bit"*

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 05:10:39 am »
I just wanted to ask...

I've read this entire series so much that I had to go out and buy all new books (I really hope that Rhapsody or one of the other hardcover clubs picks this series up soon so I can replace my books yet again)

But Blood Bound Iron Kissed (*oops ... corrected mistake*)is the one that everytime I read it, I cry.  At least 5 times now, I've cried over Mercy's plight, her fear and helplessness, and her saviors help. The fact that Ms Briggs wrote the scene so powerfully that we didn't need every horrid detail spelled out, was woinderful.  I love that we were left to our imaginations this way, it made it more powerful for me.

SO my question is  -   Does anyone else cry over these scenes?

Heh, I noticed the dark humor. ;D Reminds me a little of Pulp fiction, don't ask me why... ;)
At first I too didn't realize what was happening, so I had to reread the scene a couple of times, and when I realized it I was like "Holy Mary Mother of God!!! :o", but I didn't cry, as I did, for example in The Time Traveler's wife, I was literally bawling at the end of that, or Marc Levy's Sept jours pour un éternité, or at the end of the first book of the Black Jewels Trilogy, Daughter of the Blood.
But this doesn't mean I didn't hate Tim to the core. >:( And I think that the fact that most of us feel so powerfully about him and are so affected by that scene is a huge tribute to Patty's skill at writing. :)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.