Author Topic: Patricia Briggs Books | What makes them so good?  (Read 25592 times)

McWang

Re: What makes it so good?
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2008, 10:32:36 pm »
I say all of the above. Considering the post about the tri-cities, and being a machanic, everyone just connects to a book a different way.  We, on this site, might love Patricia Briggs books but others dont.  I am sorry to say my friends dont enjoy the series at all. 
To me the book has characters that I can relate to, at least in personality.  The people just pop out like real everyday people.  I have alot of family that work and live around the Tri-cities. Besides that, though, I'm a Sci-Fi/Romance/Mystery kind a girl.  The book hit all the points I enjoy while giving me a few laughs and "hot' guys to drool over . 
Sorry forgot to say that her style is what makes alot of people like it. Someone mentioned that her personality and humor show through.  It shows she has a high writing technique in an area of voice.  This usually gives a main character the same traits or close to of the author.  It's exstremely hard to do; read alot of ameture reading and you can see it's usually missing.  Usually, mind you.  Some people are just born with the magic to do it.  Patricia Briggs must be an amazing author.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 10:49:31 pm by McWang »

mdauben

• Tinker
  • Sheep in Wolf's Clothing
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2008, 06:00:51 am »
I think there are a lot of things that make the book good.  The writing, the story, the setting all contribute. 

Personally, however, I think the thing that makes this book (and the others in the series) stand out is the characters.  Mercy especially is just such a interesting, well developed character that I want to know more about her and care what happens to her.  This is what has always been the deciding factor for me in books which make the jump from beeing just good to becoming personal favorites.   ;)

The fact that Mercy is a woman.  Guys do tend to have an interest in women.   

I hate to sound that shallow, but I have to admit that the reason I first picked one of Patricia's books off the shelf at B&N was the cover art of Iron Kissed.   8)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 12:49:49 pm by mdauben »
Mike

"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful."

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2008, 06:34:51 am »
The fact that Mercy is a woman.  Guys do tend to have an interest in women.
Yes, that's certainly a huge contributing factor!

The writing of the characters, I'd say. You really care for what happens to them.
Especially Adam's daughter (can't she get a book of her own? :D).
To make free use of a phrase from the Buffy audio commentary:
When in doubt, put Jesse in danger. :P

The Fae are another huge factor, I always loved books that make use of european folklore (though I lack heavily in the fae department and have to take most on face value), that and the whole Were-theme.
Can't resist a well written Werewolf novel.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

willandbrismom

Re: Just wanna say...Lovin the Series!
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2008, 10:47:57 am »
I have to say i completly agree. I just started reading them a week and a half ago and i am simply agonizing over the next book coming out. I have to say these books are awesome and I love how it is so easy to relate to Mercy.

sweetdeily

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 03:26:07 am »
I was at a stage of giving up on decent paranormal novels for women. I was at that stage where each spine on the shelf was just another nail in the coffin of 'same old, same old', and then I picked up Moon Called. It is just incredible these books- I know this seems weird, but- Briggs has put so much back into this genre. The characters are unique and strong, with individuality and personality beyond the cardboard cutouts of most paranormal characters. The plot is exciting and moves along well, the villains are well thought-out and interesting and the sexual tension is just right- sexual tension and not drowning (like other authors). And did I mention a strong female character that's actually a strong female character?
I love these novels, can't wait till the fourth one and must now find the other novels by Briggs so the world can finally be complete. ^^

brighidfyrewolf

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2009, 03:55:27 pm »
I stubbled upon the series when I was looking for a new series on my bday! I'm been reading the series for two days now and I'm on the 3rd book - they are that good!!! The stories take me away to an amazing fantasy world!! I don't know if you read theses forums, Mrs. Briggs - but if you do you are one amazing author!!! :)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2009, 04:03:14 pm »
Welcome to the forums :D

Its good timing that Bone Crossed is going to come out in little over than a month :D so no long torturous waits for the next book. And also definitely check out the spin off series Alpha and Omega novels which features Charles and his mate Anna as well as Bran and Sam :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

K.Love

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2009, 07:25:40 pm »
I love these books. I love the genre. What kept me reading is Patty's writing style. She's an amazing writer, who just belts out these fun and interesting stories. :)

jeany

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2009, 08:56:57 am »
I love this stories, too!! But it's so unfair that we in germany still have to wait for months, when you already read the book :'(. (I want this book, Iwant it)
I love the characters in the books; especially Medea ( even if I don't think it's good that she's a manx, because of the thing with having kittens)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2009, 07:39:07 pm »
I've been re-reading the series these past couple of weeks. I just had to say how much I still love it. Moon Called especially just emphasizes how much I love Adam and Mercy and their banter. That is all.  :-LOVE
Hurog Means Dragon.

Aaron25

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2009, 09:53:56 am »
If it is then i am addicted i picked up moon called on saturday night and started reading it then and it is such an awesome book i love the character of mercy thompson im so addicted.

kingken

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2009, 11:22:30 pm »
I love these books. I love the genre. What kept me reading is Patty's writing style. She's an amazing writer, who just belts out these fun and interesting stories. :)

I agree you really can tell it is Patty's reading. Even the humour. I loved the mix of were and love triangle the characters capture you and leave you wanting more!  :-LOVE