Author Topic: Preying for Mercy  (Read 19633 times)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Preying for Mercy
« on: June 09, 2008, 07:56:21 am »
The Science Fiction book club will publish an omnibus edition of the first 3 Mercy books and I love the title for it since its pretty fitting  in many ways lol

http://www.sfbc.com/doc/full_site_enrollment/detail/fse_product_detail.jhtml?repositoryId=882183B510

The cover looks much better than the UK one and it seems that half shirt is becoming a trademark for Mercy but Dos Santos is the best.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Re: Preying for Mercy
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:01:53 am »
That's a nice cover. I like the full and half sleeve tattoos but can't get a good look at them. I like the look of the wolves in the background as well. You're definitely right about the half shirt. :D
Hurog Means Dragon.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 09:15:01 am »
I would like to see more of the details with the tattoos as well - I wished the cover was bigger. I want to get this edition now but I dont belong to the club also its based in the US :P
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

raion

• Grease Monkey
  • Everybody laughs in the same language ; )
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 11:40:41 am »
I would like to see more of the details with the tattoos as well - I wished the cover was bigger. I want to get this edition now but I dont belong to the club also its based in the US :P

Same here ;D I also get the impression that Mercy looks a tad older on this cover than on the first three. But it looks awesome!

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 04:28:44 pm »
It's nice, but man she looks way too pale. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 07:42:12 pm »
Yep, and she just looks really...old...and worn out kinda...

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 09:17:36 pm »

Yeah, I thought she had a somewhat pinched expression on her face, but I'm not sure about it, since you can't enlarge the pic enough to really see it. Love the tatts, though, and the rest of the cover's look!!
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 02:27:44 pm »
for some reason i can't get my browser to make the image appear  ???  :'(

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 09:32:40 pm »
That happened to me, too, but after the fifth time I opened the page it suddenly worked. Don't ask me why, I'm convinced computers have a mind of their own, no matter how often anyone tells me 'it's just doing what you're telling it to do'. Yeah. Right. What. Ever.
 :D
So maybe it'll work if you just try it a couple of times. Unless the red cross appears where the image should be, I think then it's hopeless.
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 04:15:49 am »
I think its the website as well- If you cant view it the page then your at the intro page where you want to join. Click onto members and then do a search for Patricia Briggs or Preying for Mercy and it should take you to the page.

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 05:48:37 am »
That happened to me, too, but after the fifth time I opened the page it suddenly worked. Don't ask me why, I'm convinced computers have a mind of their own, no matter how often anyone tells me 'it's just doing what you're telling it to do'. Yeah. Right. What. Ever.
 :D
So maybe it'll work if you just try it a couple of times. Unless the red cross appears where the image should be, I think then it's hopeless.

thanks for the advice!  i kept reloading the page and the image finally appeared on the fourth or fifth try.  i don't think i will ever completely understand computers and the internet the way they can think on their own  :D
mercy looks a little different in it from the other covers i think, is it the same artist?

Granite Owl

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 12:08:55 pm »
It doesnt say who did the cover art in the information i read, but it doesn't have the same look as the rest of Dos Santos work.  He has a distinctive style.. or flavor to his work. Kind of like you KNOW when your looking at an Escher or  a Dali.

Owl

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 10:50:06 pm »
I don't know who the artist is (though I could probably find out).   It's not Daniel Dos Santos, but another artist obviously trying to paint in a very similar style. SF Book Club is generally awesome, but they are a discount publisher.  The cover does what it needs to: it's colorful and it tells the reader what kind of book they're looking at. 

That said, the artwork just doesn't impress me the way Daniel's does.  My guess is that it's done by a decent artist who was either working outside his usual style (and told to imitate Daniel Dos Santos), or was on a tight schedule.  The composition is good, the execution is technically of great quality but . . . it looks like they found and older, tired, crack-addicted version of Mercy to pose as the model. 

Now the artist or the publisher will probably kill me.  Sorry folks, that's just my opinion, and I'm not any sort of art critic. 
Where's my super-suit?

Demi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 02:53:31 am »

Well this woman is not our mercy.
Maybe she is a fan of her too and try┬┤s
to win the look alike contest.

Thats what i thought when i looked at the picture.
Addicted to the tales from the Bard of Hurog

white_unicorn

• Mechanic
  • The stories are written at Wattpad - Wolf_Lady :)
    • Wattpad - Stories
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 07:06:18 am »
Well, to put in my cent of thought..... I prefer the US covers even if they are paprback.... if it was only the image thet I had in order to get the book I wouldn't even think about it.... When I first ordered Merc's books I had only the summary (acurate and it was what i was looking for) and the covers... even only from the covers I would go on and buy at least the 1st book... after that of course the addiction is easily understandable.