Author Topic: Book Addicts R Us  (Read 76502 times)

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
Re: Book Addicts R Us
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2008, 03:44:30 pm »
I wound up making my own bookshelf. :P  http://ranasp.deviantart.com/art/Bookshelves-23896407  Took a workshop at the memorial union with the goal of making a decent set of shelves that are built JUST for books, which means no extra depth for junk to get placed in front of each book.
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 06:00:30 pm »
Oh I like that! It's tall and I like the stain. :)
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 08:53:05 pm »
Grey - very nice bookshelf!  It is good to have shelves that only allow one book deep, avoids the temptation double rows or losing things behind.  Seems like all our shelves have books two deep.  Unfortunately, you can run out of wall space too!

Very attractive too:)
Sporadic Forum member, but ever loyal Briggas Fan!!!

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 07:24:38 pm »
Thanks you two. :)  The red is actually a bit deeper than what it looks like in that photo.  I need to make another bookshelf too. >_< 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

drosdelnoch

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 12:47:24 am »
Yeah Im a book addict as well.  Alas books are just piling up in my flat as Ive run out of shelving.  (Part of the problem with a lot of my storage is that I have to pile it high so that I cant read what I have on the shelves.  So in my entrance I have a shelf choc a block with books that stand over 10 feet tall (I think theres around 6-700 books on that one unit alone.  The unit next to it is doing nearly as bad and I have a huge stack of boxes choc full as well.  This isnt including my Bedroom bookshelves that are also stacked pretty precariously.    Oh the inhumanity.  Currently wondering if I have enough insurance if anything happens.  I keep meaning to catalogue the lot. 

Oh yeah and I think that my current selection would make a library proud or even waterstones who I dont think carry half the titles I do in my selection.  I really should save up and get a carpenter in to make me wall to wall shelving.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2008, 12:22:15 pm »
So given the fact that I am an addict too...(I have to limit my visits to real bookstores and amazon).  I have surprisingly  :o run out of space on my bookcases (even double and triple stacked).  And the boxes are piling up.  I was wondering if anyone knows of a good source to get bookcases that won't ummm collapse under the weight of actually being used for books?  I am, lets just say that unless it comes with directions and all the pieces nicely cut and labeled, construction challenged.  Thanks :)

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2008, 02:25:15 pm »
Well, if you don't mind ugly you can easily make a cheap, sturdy bookcase out of lumber and cememtn blocks or bricks. When I was a kid, one entire wall was covered ceiliong to floor with them. They held a heck of a lot of books. ;D
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2008, 02:38:17 pm »
I've done those.  At the moment my boards are missing, & the decorative cinderblocks are stacked outside the garage/library; I think some of my lovely 'built in' shelves are the remnants.
2 things to worry about on those; earthquake safety, & someone just plain leaning on them wrong.  They need to have one end up against a corner.  Doesn't help with earthquake, but stops the leaning problem.
And you can wrap some cloth around the bricks for instant improvement of attractiveness & less wear on books rubbing against them.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2008, 05:03:39 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2008, 09:23:05 pm »
Actually, I loved my cinderblock and plank bookshelves...

Very versatile!  I never had them more than four high, and if you have the bottom set a few inches out from the wall, with each successive shelf a little closer to the wall, so that the top is actually touching the wall, they are pretty secure - leaning, in sense, against the wall.

Before I had real furniture, I would set up two planks side by side for a small table... it was more like a coffee table, but for some time that was my dining room table.  Then my mom came to visit and asked if she could buy me a dining set. 'You can sell it when we leave!'  I didn't :)

But friends don't like to help you move when you own too many cinderblocks  ::)

And my husband made me get rid of them when I moved in with him.  I could have argued, but I figured I'd save the pushback for something really important.

...but I miss my cinderblock shelves... (Although I suspect I would not like having my kids around them!)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2008, 09:28:17 pm »
There are gentler alternatives available.  Still fun, with an air of whimsy or youthful freedom, but not so dangerous for small children.
The idea, of course, was originally *cheap*, not to mention easy.  Scrounged materials.

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2008, 09:30:35 pm »
Cheap, easy and versatile!

I didn't think they looked so bad either... but I have been (often!) berated for my poor taste :)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2008, 09:34:05 pm »
Oh, I like the look too; especially since I used the ones that are big squares, with the kind of 'flower' pattern to them.
But I'm not known for sophisiticated tastes either.  I'm a barbarian, I am.  Just look at the gaudy hat & shawl I gave to our Hostess.

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2008, 09:41:09 pm »
Oh, I like the look too; especially since I used the ones that are big squares, with the kind of 'flower' pattern to them.

I think this explains your stability issue - those are not so deep, are they?  I had two different kinds of the big honkin' rectangular ones. One with two holes (the taller) and one with one big hole.  They made excellent hidey spaces, and nooks for things like mail, or little candles, nick nacks.  I remember my cat hanging out in them when he was a kitten :))

But I'm not known for sophisiticated tastes either.  I'm a barbarian, I am.  Just look at the gaudy hat & shawl I gave to our Hostess.

We just don't have mundane tastes!  8)

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2008, 05:09:45 am »

I think this explains your stability issue - those are not so deep, are they?  I had two different kinds of the big honkin' rectangular ones. One with two holes (the taller) and one with one big hole.  They made excellent hidey spaces, and nooks for things like mail, or little candles, nick nacks.  I remember my cat hanging out in them when he was a kitten :))

I never had any stability issues but I used the same kind as Demeter. and those nooks were great, very handy. Sadly, friends do object to moving lots of cinderblocks. *sigh*