Author Topic: Book Addicts R Us  (Read 76422 times)

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
Re: Book Addicts R Us
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 09:13:53 am »
hmmmm.... am I a book addict?

I can walk out of a bookstore without a book in my hand. Sometimes.

But then, an essential criteria of any purse I buy is that it must be able to hold a book, without damaging it, as well as whatever else is required for basic life outside the house. (newest purse can fit two paperbacks in it! which means it could even hold a hardback!)

But I can control it: I can wait for even my favorite books to come out in paperback (although if I can borrow it from the library I will, or if it's one my mom will like, I'll buy it then give it to her, she likes them... but I still buy the paperback when it does finally come out)

I've given books away (but only really trashy ones that I know I don't ever want to read again)  My husband can't do that. So I can admit that I married a book addict.

I suppose the real clincher is that I am a pusher for my kids and have turned them into addicts as well.  My 4 year old son can easily convince me to buy a book for him every time we walk into a bookstore.  Christmas last year ('06), when my daughter was ~15 months old, her uncle gave her a book that I'd put on the kids' Christmas list, as she was opening he said 'But of course she won't know what to do with it.'  Then she plunked herself down, opened the book (right side up thank-you-very-much) and started going through it page by page looking at every picture with interest.  My brother-in-law's jaw dropped open so far he is lucky he didn't have bugs flying into his mouth.

Not only do I not know how many books I own, I don't even know how many books my kids own. I started actively buying books for my kids when I was 19 (exactly 20 years before my son was born) but I also saved some from my own childhood for them. If they were all put together on one average bookcase, they'd fill up at least three shelves.  Story time before lights out is an essential part of the bedtime ritual.

A house without books is not a home - for me.  I remember my mother's bedroom had bookshelves from floor to ceiling, covering the entire wall.  That felt homey and comfortable to me:)

Yes, I guess I qualify.  I am a book addict, raised by book addicts, raising more herself. 

Let's take over the world!
Sporadic Forum member, but ever loyal Briggas Fan!!!

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 10:48:33 am »
OK - it got me thinking, just how many books do my kids have?  I did a rough count and there are over 300.  I'm going to go post details on the 'how many books do you have' thread ;)

Such a lovely addition!  and number of books in the house (and read to kids!) is well documented to be the only indicator of their future success in school. 

Am I an enabler? You bet!  ;D

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 02:18:57 pm »
You know, it's kinda funny, but neither of my parents really read.  My mom rarely read books (I suspect that English being her second language has a little bit to do with it, but she may be dyslexic as well or some form of it.  I'm a dyscalculate and my younger sister has strong signs of dyslexia as well as ADD) and my dad, well, he has no freaking patience so actually sitting down to read something aside from a newspaper is asking too much.  However, we did have National Geograpic books, and even kid versions of them.  My dad does know just about everything about anything useless (trivia) he just picks it up from the ether, while I do so from reading. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 06:27:09 pm »
National Geographic and newspapers are good reading - and it's a wonderful thing that your parents had them around. Especially the kid version, because it sent the message that reading and learning about the world is worthwhile. My step-father (who I think could qualify as a genius) only had three or four books in the house:  A science textbook, complete Shakespeare and I can't remember what else, but they were intriguing to him as a child and rich enough that he could read them multiple times and get different things out of them as he grew up.

Seeing your parents read is the important thing - even if it is the newspaper.  If we grow up surrounded by books that are only decoration, it won't encourage reading... but if you grow up seeing your parents reading the cereal box every morning, you will learn that reading is a joy.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 06:34:02 pm »
My parents were both big readers and we made weekly trips to the local libraries. We also had bookcases all over teh house and we could count on books for presents.

When my niece was little, she's 20 now, she always got a book from me for Easter, her birthday, and Christmas in addition to whatever else I gave her.

Demeter, as far as reading cereal boxes goes, I can distinctly remember grocery shopping with my father, being bored and reading the box of detergeant, teh package of bacon, whatever was in teh cart that had print on it!!!  ;D
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 05:01:44 am »
Both my parents always read a lot: my father mostly spy stories, but they're books all the same!! :D Moreover, my father's cousin, who's a teacher, always read a lot too and, since she's my Godmother, she always bought me books, for Christmas, Birthdays, Easters...no wonder I grew up into a book addict!! ;D My sister is one too, though she's less geek and more shop-a-holic than me. :P
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

beverlyp

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 05:16:06 am »
neither of my parents read much, well my mom reads the occasional paper or magazine, but my aunt had a big influence on me when i was young, and she had an endless supply of authors for me to check out and report on between her visits, I would read a book and spend hours writing letters to her to discuss it. She also taught me about the classics, i remember my english lit. teacher in high school being very impressed that I had already read hamlet, mcbeth, beowulf, and the odyssey, and the lliad.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 06:06:35 am »
My mum has this exasperated look when I get my shipment of books from amazon- :D its because there is hardly no room left in my room and most of my shelves are double stacked and every nook or cranny theres a couple of books stashed. She has mentioned I should get rid of some but I cant- I donated 4 black bags 4 years ago and that really hurt. :(
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 07:14:13 am »
You should see the look on my friends's face when they see my wish-list on my internet bookstore... ::) My mother is usually glad my addiction doesn't involve coming to pick me up at the police station in the middle of the night :D ;)

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 10:29:04 am »
My mother is usually glad my addiction doesn't involve coming to pick me up at the police station in the middle of the night :D ;)

Usually glad???

I have to wonder what's happening that makes her think picking you up at the police station in the middle of the night would be better!

But I won't ask...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008, 12:27:37 pm »
My mother is usually glad my addiction doesn't involve coming to pick me up at the police station in the middle of the night :D ;)

Usually glad???

I have to wonder what's happening that makes her think picking you up at the police station in the middle of the night would be better!

But I won't ask...
That's it, leave the dirty work to the rest of us!
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 02:16:29 pm »
 :D :D She's usually glad, except for the times when I go to her and tell her I need a new bookcase ;D

Demeter

• Grease Monkey
  • What universe is this?
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 03:19:38 pm »
:D :D She's usually glad, except for the times when I go to her and tell her I need a new bookcase ;D

Aaah yes, so many other addictions are for 'consumables' and so you don't need to make more space in the liquor cabinet, medicine chest, garden, refrigerator... 

My husband's major (non-book) addiction is for Star Wars toys.  Bookshelves are insufficient for ships or action figures.  We have an off-site storage for the bulk of it.  It's very hard though, to answer the innocent question of "Why can't I play with Daddy's Star Wars toys?"

"Someday Honey... when you are six, and your sister is four."  Really.  Truly. 
Even if I have to bring out the whip to remind Daddy just where his priorities need to be ;)

[And let me confess that I bought two more books today... and they are odd sized, so the bookshelves are really going to be a problem!]

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 03:31:51 pm »
 ;D My only other addictions are mangas and candies: mangas contribute to the bookcase space-management problem, but my candies supplies are usually short lived... ;) Especially if my sister is around... ::)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 03:34:53 pm »
I just discovered I broke my wardrobe!
the back has caved out -  :P  because of the double stacking. Lucky the wall is supporting it = that just goes to show IKEA bookshelves aren't that hardy for book addiction and its a new bookshelf as well  ::)
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D