Author Topic: Elizabeth Moon  (Read 15277 times)

Temari

Elizabeth Moon
« on: February 29, 2008, 01:46:39 am »
Quote from: Patti L. on February 28, 2008, 02:40:55 PM
Hmm.  This might go into the to have or not to have children thread, it's getting off topic, but I'll throw in a thought anyway.  Anyone read "The Speed of Dark" by Elizabeth Moon?

I really enjoyed the book and thought it raised a lot of really interesting issues. I thought the main thing, which is really sad, is that nearly everyone assumed that he'd want to 'get better' if he could. Even he thinks this, maybe because everyone else does?

gryphon340

• Mechanic
Re: Elizabeth Moon
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 04:30:12 am »
I haven't read "speed of dark", but I've read the deeds of Packsarrsion, and the Vatta war series. Vatta series is has contracted to be into movie.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 05:13:24 am by gryphon340 »
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 08:28:52 am »
I have only read her Deeds of Packsarrion- what is Speed of Dark about? From the other thread its def perked up my interest ;)
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Temari

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 12:38:56 pm »
Speed of Dark is about a man with autism / asperger's syndrome - he's very very intelligent but has trouble in interacting with people. He's living a 'normal' type life with a home, job, hobby, friends, etc, but since it's a good story it doesn't stay that simple.  :)

It addresses people's reactions to his autism, and also his own feelings about it. Very thought-provoking.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 12:48:33 pm »
Thanks Temari sounds great - I will def have to check it out ;D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Morgaine0000

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 10:46:35 pm »
I haven't read The Speed of Dark yet, but has anyone read Remanent Population?  I really think it is best of her scifi books.  She does marvelous female characters.

Temari

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 03:16:37 am »
Yes, I really loved that one, I thought the main character was wonderful. I couldn't help feeling very sorry for her that she'd clearly had a tough life, but she clearly didn't feel sorry for herself!

Jazzlet

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 06:24:15 am »
Me too, it's so good to have an old person as the main character, and as a gardener it was fun to actually have some bits about how she was going to grow food.

One of the reasons I really like Patty is that she doesn't just have 'coming of age' main characters.

Temari

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 08:27:18 am »
I totally agree and I liked the gardening too - I thought it really funny when her 'visitors' were going ooh over the lovely food, but then turned really squeemish when then saw her squash a bug-thing that was eating the crop. Reminds me of city-people here (says me who grew up eating apples carefully to avoid anything else that was also eating them  :) )

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 09:15:40 am »
That kind of thing can be either engrossing, throwaway, or boring, depending on how it's handled.
Did anyone else hear that "Speed of Dark" has been optioned as a potential movie?
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 06:29:41 pm »
she just gotten a contract to do three more "Parkssion" books
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Temari

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 12:54:52 am »
Ooh, exciting, I hadn't heard about a Speed of Dark movie. I can see that it would make a very good movie story. Hope it gets made soon.

Jazzlet

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 04:41:14 am »
More Paks? yay :)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 01:23:26 pm »
I've read her Vatta series, except the last one that came out. It had been so long since I read the others in the series that I'd forgotten what happened - and I didn't have time to re-read. I've got her Parksenon (sp?) book in my TBR pile.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 08:38:19 pm »
Make that bookS, Cerulean.  Unless you've got an omnibus.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.