Author Topic: Marion Zimmer Bradley  (Read 7987 times)

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
Marion Zimmer Bradley
« on: February 20, 2008, 12:16:48 am »
Hi,

I was a bit suprised to see that Marion Zimmer Bradley has no thread here.... in case I overlooked it, sorry.

I own the complete Darkover-series by her and although I like some of them more and some less, I have to say all in all I think the series is pretty good! It consists of .... duh, I think close to 40 books... I would have to count ;)

I also liked Glenraven and some of her other stuff. (the Avalon-series, Ghost light ....)

Would be great to read other opinions!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 05:30:52 pm by charmed »

GW  WK  WH

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
Re: Marion Zimmer-Bradley
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 06:06:25 pm »
Maybe I always picked up the wrong books, but I kept finding myself getting annoyed with the characters in the darkover series, which wound up annoying me even more because I really liked the setting.  One guy that really annoyed me was this guy who was forced to marry a woman, but he loved her, but he didn't want to get her pregnant because it could kill her/weird biology reasons.  I just stared at the book thinking "Christ, haven't they invented any type of condom yet?  We had those in the dark ages, just not to the general populace!  What about OTHER stuff?  Twit."  Then his wife commits suicide or something.  I was not impressed with their thought processes. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:16:32 am »
Huh, don't remember that.  But yeah, a lot of the darkover stuff involved people not talking to each other enough.  Telepaths, huh.
But it is quite human.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Demi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 04:07:38 am »

I loved her books since i was 14, and thats more
than 20 years ago ( yes  :( ) . When she died, i was really sad,
she was with me so many years. But she did those anthologies,
and i went to the authors in these.
So i read Diana L. Paxon and Anne Mc Caffrey too.

It was nice reading them, but i saw no author which could reach to her.

And then, last year, i started my first Patricia Briggs book.
In my feeling she is my new MZB. She has another style then her, but she is great,
gets me thinking about a world i would like to live in, and people
i would like to know, and talk to them.

And finally sitting here in my living room, hoping that month pass fast,
because the next book is cooming :) And thats what i did for years, with MZB.
Addicted to the tales from the Bard of Hurog

thebeadedchihuahua

Re: Marion Zimmer Bradley
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 10:57:59 am »
My favorite books by Marion Zimmer Bradley is "The Forest House" and "Heartlight". I love reading about the pagan world in the time of the Romans. 

Another Author thats has a theme similar to Bradley is Juliene Osborne Mcknight. My favorite from her is "Daughter of Ireland and "Song of Ireland".

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 07:52:23 pm »
I made it a mission to collect all of the Sword and Sorceress anthologies.  They introduced me to several authors I enjoy still.  I liked her Darkover series and like the others some I liked more then others.  I never managed to get into her Avalon or Ghost light books tho. 

Sofy

• Tinker
  • I'm a lurker.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 11:20:56 am »
i've got the whole Darkover series in French (well the books that had been translated) so around 30 i think. I decided to get them in English a few months ago. sadly some books are out of print. I wish they could re-print them as they did with the whole Pern series by McCaffrey
First Worshipper of the Goddess Caffeine !!!!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 07:40:17 pm »
Ms. McCaffrey's still alive, and the permissions relatively straightforward.  Ms. Bradley, gone, and her literary estate no doubt tangled.

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 11:26:30 am »
Also, she had a habit of re-writing several of her older novels later. There are at least a few Darkover novels that are revisions of older ones. Just to keep things confusing. 9)

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 01:27:47 pm »
Or fleshing out what was more or less tossed off earlier?  Like McCaffrey did with Nerilka's Story?

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 06:47:01 pm »
No, some of them were completely rewritten later. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Darkover_books
Sharra's Exile, was a particular revision. I think it was actually one of the first ones I read (when I was, no doubt, too young to be reading them), and trying to pick up other random titles in the series got REALLY confusing for me.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!