Author Topic: Movie Night Reviews, #2  (Read 92322 times)

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
Re: Movie Night Reviews, #2
« Reply #615 on: May 15, 2017, 05:35:45 am »
Watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 with the elder daughter last night. We both enjoyed it a lot, and I can still hear, sort of. Lots of stuff about family and some thought-provoking subtext about religion, if anyone is paying attention. Also, explosions.

victorymon

• Pack Member
  • It wasnt me this time... I swear!
« Reply #616 on: December 26, 2017, 08:54:10 pm »
ok, so I watched Star Wars 8 yesterday.
I wont spoil too much. Lets just say that it was a OK movie.

You say WHAT? many people said that its the best movie since Star Wars 5, Empire Strikes Back.
In perspective lets see my Top list for Star Wars.

...and yes, Star Wars 2 aka Episode 5 is still my favorite.
Then comes Star Wars 3 aka Episode 6 followed by Star Wars 1 aka 4.
Then there is Star Wars 7
Rouge One is next
Episode 3
Episode 2
bottom is Episode 1

Part 8 is somewhere between Rouge one and 7.

Whats my biggest problem: Luke Skywalker. They turned him into a coward. Some sort of Obi Wan.
The moment I was done with him was right the first moment. He gets his old light saber, his fathers light saber...
And he simply throw it away...
It was like Disney grabbing the licence and threw it away.

The whole hunt thing was a waste of time but I must say the way they defeated the fleet... OK, that was cool.

Then there was Yoda. Somehow it felt worse than the puppet in episode 1.

What was the best thing? Was there anything good?
Yes. 2 things: Snoke´s end and the whole "Open fire!" scene at the end. It felt so... funny? Awesome?
It felt like Neo´s end-scene in the Matrix.

Will I buy it on DVD/Blu Ray? Yes. Its still a good movie.
All in all I give it a 3 out of 5 stars.
Hey everyone, watch this, I´m an Artist: http://victorymon.deviantart.com/

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #617 on: January 13, 2018, 06:30:34 am »
Okay, since we apparently don't have a "Star Wars" thread :o !  Here's an interesting piece WITH SPOILERS about The Last Jedi:
https://www.tor.com/2017/12/21/why-canto-bight-is-vital-to-the-last-jedi/
I tend to agree with a lot of the conclusions in it.

I got to see the straight-to-netflix movie "Bright" with Will Smith while I was giving platelets the other day. I'm not sure how I liked it as an urban fantasy.  Interesting take on racism being displayed in a sort of "Diskworld" way; less color of skin, more literal race of human vs. elf vs. orc.
Warning:  May contain traces of unicorn. ~Kat Cotton

victorymon

• Pack Member
« Reply #618 on: January 13, 2018, 06:46:20 am »
Okay, since we apparently don't have a "Star Wars" thread :o !  Here's an interesting piece WITH SPOILERS about The Last Jedi:

I got to see the straight-to-netflix movie "Bright" with Will Smith while I was giving platelets the other day. I'm not sure how I liked it as an urban fantasy.  Interesting take on racism being displayed in a sort of "Diskworld" way; less color of skin, more literal race of human vs. elf vs. orc.
saw it and dont like it.
One of the big problems when you watch Bright in Europe is... *sigh* like Sesame-street most of the "typical" clichees wont work here.
All in all: The movie had potential. But most of it was wasted.
2 of 5 stars.

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #619 on: January 13, 2018, 06:58:44 am »

Thanks for posting! I haven't seen the movie yet, but spoilers don't really spoil things for me as a rule.

victorymon

• Pack Member
« Reply #620 on: April 05, 2018, 07:58:35 pm »
ok, so I was bored yesterday evening and decided to watch a movie. I started my tv-provider and there was Jumanji.

Before I start: I have to apologize: I dont like Robin Williams.
Back in the dark age of films (early 90s until LotR) there were just so many bad movies. I know many like them but here are movies I almost hate: Patch Adams, Jack, Peter Pan, Ms Doubtfire and Jumanji :X
Good Morning Vietman was good and Robin Williams will forever be THE VOICE of dschinni

The Rock will always look like a wrestler and I cant take him serious.
And while I´m ad it: Jack Black will forever be Eddie Riggs (Brutal Legends) in my mind.

So excuse me if I was not hyped when I heard that they made a sequel (not a remake) of one of the worst movies I ever watched: Jumanji
There was not one part of my mind who said YES, give me that, I want more of this!

I watched the movie and saw The Rock and Jack Black in roles that are just perfect.
The Rock acted like a weak nerd while Jack had to act like a girl, a little princess.
Now add some videogame jokes and elements to the mix (who beside me plays boardgames anyway?), an updated story and some nice humor (yes, there is stupid pre-teen humor, lets face it. A guy who has the spirit of a girl... *sigh*
But all in all I did not hate this movie... oh my, I even might say that I actually like this movie and wont mind watching movies like this? oh wow...

Result: They fixed some errors from part one, added fresh new elements and keep the silly teenager-humor to a minimum. 4 of 5 gamecontrollers. I even recommend this movie for a movie-night.
You wont regret to watch it.
what a surprise, right?

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Big Bad Wolf
    • dragcaves
« Reply #621 on: April 05, 2018, 08:03:33 pm »
I don't remember the first one very well, but as someone who doesn't like Jack Black, I really liked this movie. I thought it was hilarious. In part because everyone was playing roles that were so far from their norm.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #622 on: April 05, 2018, 08:05:16 pm »
That is unexpected, yes.
Warning:  May contain traces of unicorn. ~Kat Cotton

victorymon

• Pack Member
« Reply #623 on: April 05, 2018, 08:25:29 pm »
I don't remember the first one very well, but as someone who doesn't like Jack Black, I really liked this movie. I thought it was hilarious. In part because everyone was playing roles that were so far from their norm.
thats what I wanted to say. Yes.
Even if The Rock and Jack Black are the only two cast-members I remember.
But the driver was just one big joke. In total: I like movies that take themself not too serious most of the time.
For example: smoldering intensity  ;)