Author Topic: Movie Night Reviews, #2  (Read 73493 times)

Jake

• Grease Monkey
  • Kaiju Rulez
Re: Movie Night Reviews, #2
« Reply #600 on: April 22, 2016, 12:36:49 am »
Well, glad that you enjoyed it.  :)

Not so much hate as disappointed. :-\

I understand. I feel the same way about the new Star Wars movie. Sadly I like it less each time I watch it.

Isn't that a little like , "The food is terrible...and such small portions!"? I find that any time I watch a movie over and over in a brief period, once I've gotten any nuances, it gets older with every viewing.

Don't take this the wrong way and sorry if I sound mean, but I don't get what your saying. Anyway, what I'm saying is that I've given the film different chances and it never clicks with me. It doesn't grow on me.
Forget money, I have a vision!

pondhawk

• Pack Member
« Reply #601 on: April 22, 2016, 06:44:39 am »
I'm not someone who takes offense at difficulties in translation. That quote is from a classic Woody Allen movie. I'm short on time here because I have to mow before it rains, but will try to think of a way to explain it.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #602 on: April 22, 2016, 06:48:56 am »
IF it's terrible, why are you complaining about small portions, you don't want MORE of it, do you?

How's that?

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #603 on: April 22, 2016, 05:18:28 pm »
Saw the new Jungle Book, I liked it a lot. The accents of the voice actors really added to it.

pondhawk

• Pack Member
« Reply #604 on: July 15, 2016, 05:59:45 am »
The new Ghostbusters got a mainly good review in the Washington Post. The theme song from the previous one has been running through my head all morning. Hoping to see it with my daughter soon, but I might go all by myself sooner., or with the spousal unit if he can be persuaded.

victorymon

• Pack Member
  • It wasnt me this time... I swear!
« Reply #605 on: July 15, 2016, 06:45:07 am »
OK, so I was able to watch Ghostbusters in a sneak peak today...
uhm, I dont want to sound weird but this movie got everything the other way arround.
OK, they made some funny jokes. Its clear that this movie is for 2000+ viewers, not for a 80s Nerd like myself.
What one big difference is: The humor has been updated. Its been a while since I heard that many gender-jokes and fartjokes. Different times...
But I cant forgive the movie for one thing: Before the movie was out and people like myself said something against the movie it was like: SEXISM! You are against women! You cant accept the all female cast!
Which is wrong. Some movies can be really awesome... I know the German Title "Plötzlich Prinzessin"... uhm... The Princess Diaries?
So what went wrong here? Easy: The movie has 2 kinds of men in it. Idiots or bad guys. Yes, I know who the main male character is, dont worry. But he is acting so stupid... I dont know if this was the idea behind his role.
And to prove it to all of you that this movie is a pro girl against male movie...
The 4 heroines facing the big bad über-daemon. Guess, just take a wild guess WHERE they aim at to defeat him! Take a wild guess, I know you are all thinking it...
So the effects are OK. I still prefer the classic style. The humor... is OK too. Please dont ask about acting or story, its Ghostbusters.
Its really hard because I´m not sure what to do with this movie. Will I watch it again in cinema? NO!
Will I buy/rent it? NO! Maybe I watch it when its on TV OR I get the Blu Ray for 5€, then MAYBE.
I give this movie a 3 of 5. Average. Is it better than Batman VS Superman? You know what? YES! Because Ghostbusters 3 has some funny scenes. I dont want to watch a movie to get depressions, when I want a depression I read the newspaper! Is it better than, lets say... Deadpool? Oh hell no! Deadpool is way better.
I´m still confused. This movie isnt for the fans. And its not good enough to stand on its own, because its the worst Ghostbusters movie so far...

OK, lets end this. 3 of 5.
Hey everyone, watch this, I´m an Artist: http://victorymon.deviantart.com/

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #606 on: August 19, 2016, 08:05:16 pm »
Kubo and the Two Strings was fantastic. I'm not a huge fan of stop motion, but I've been looking forward to this one for months. It did not disappoint. Five stars.

victorymon

• Pack Member
« Reply #607 on: September 22, 2016, 08:56:08 pm »
so, yesterday evening, I decided that I wanted to get out. Watch a movie. I had no idea what to watch, I just knew that the latest DC movie was... not for me.

I was surprised to see a poster for BLAIR WITCH... and that it was out for a week.

Here is my review.

Back in the late 90s there was a movie called Blair Witch Project. It was a movie about 3 students, Heather, Mike and Josh (the fact that I remember those names after almost 20 years says a lot, right?) who went into the woods, looking for a witch. They vanished. Years later they found the tapes from the students.
I simply loved the movie. It was one of those rare moments when watching a movie in cinema was worth it. The sound, the darkness... everything perfect. Even if the movie was cheap and nothing too special.

Years later we had Blair Witch Project 2. It was a mess. I dont remember any name or actor. The story itself was that the movie was a movie and not real. But fans of the movie wanted to visit the woods. And bad things happened.
It was a boring movie and not worth the title Blair Witch.

Now, almost 20 years later, we got Blair Witch. Backstory: The brother of Heather saw a youtube video and believes that he saw his sister in it. The fact alone that it was 20 years later and he still thinks that she is in the woods is stupid.
Other cast: His girlfriend, the stereo-typical black guy (he is every stereo type) and his girlfriend. They join a couple (?) who found the video and walk into the woods.
And were never seen again. Years later they found their videotapes and...
Wait, did I copy/paste that from above? No? Well, its because the movie is almost a 1:1 copy of the 90s version.
I dont remember any names from the characters. But I made some notes.

See this as a spoiler warning. And if you saw the movie maybe you can answer me here:

1. WHY does he think after 20 years she might be still in the woods?
2. She is wearing leather boots? In the woods? And walks through the water? Girl, you deserve to die!
3. a deep cut? Stop walking into the woods and get her to a doctor!
4. A drone? Really? I cant let my drone fly without crashing and you want to let yours fly IN THE WOODS?
5. Woods are not quiet! You cant sneak up to someone without noise!
Update: Even the actors say to stop sneaking up
6. stupid jumpscares!
7. Hah! Even the actors say F**k this, I´m out of here!
8. Does this girl have wood for bones or what is that noise?
9. What was that? A bug? Or a feather?
10. I thought she is in pain. Why and how is she climbing up this tree?
11. Why do she try to get the drone back?
12. I feel like I´m watching a different movie. Somehow like a mix of Signs, It and REC.
13. WHY? WHY DO YOU SHOW THE WITCH???

All in all, if this movie was made in 2002 or 2003 we would have Blair Witch 5-10, just like those Paranormal Activity movies. Its better than the second one and worthy title part 2. I dont regret watching it and I will buy it.

I cant give this movie 4 or even 5 stars. Too many stupid things are happening. But its not the worst movie of the year, its funny and made me want to watch the first one again. So... lets say 3 of 5 burned witches.

Now I keep thinking: What would Mercy do?

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #608 on: March 17, 2017, 08:25:25 pm »
Just saw the new Disney Beauty and the Beast. They did a fantastic job. The filming was darker, less saturated.

Belle, her father, and the beast all got backstories that were more than just one or two details. Characters were over all more fleshed out. The Beast was an adult, not 11, when cursed. Belle was less condescending to the villagers. Lefou (or however you spell it, French is hard) has his own character arc; he's more than just Gaston's lackey.

They add several songs, that were very well done, and kept what I thought were the best/most iconic. The song Gaston is changed a bit, to reflect Lefou's altered character. The cast is nicely diverse. Several important and background characters of color. Lefou is homosexual, though not in a super blatant way, realistic for the time frame. And there is one man of the three who the wardrobe dresses in fancy dresses and makeup during the assault on the castle, who smiles and sashays off instead of screaming in horror.

I think Lefou's my new favorite character.

victorymon

• Pack Member
« Reply #609 on: March 17, 2017, 10:18:32 pm »
ok, lets just talk about the classic Beauty and the Beast for a moment. I had to watch the classic animated version, just to know what we talk about.
I had several problems with the movie...
For example: Does the prince has a name? I dont remember.
Second: He is the prince... why does he himself has to open the door?
Third: Does nomon say "hey, we used to have a prince/king/queen. What happened?"
4th: Are all tools/items humans?... the poor toilet...
5th: Is Belle really blamed because she can read???

I guess now I´m ready for the new movie.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #610 on: March 18, 2017, 09:36:52 am »
In the animated one his name is Adam, I don't believe they give him a name in the new one. The new movie addresses number three, the spell made people forget. Not all the tools and items are humans, how many people do you think lived in the castle compared to how many miscellaneous items there are. And 5, yes Belle was an anomaly in being a woman and literate. Remember, literacy becoming common is a relatively new thing.

pondhawk

• Pack Member
« Reply #611 on: March 18, 2017, 09:48:42 am »
It's based on a fairy tale. Characters in fairy tales quite frequently don't have names. Fairy tales have their own logic, which is not necessarily congruent with RL conditions. As for the items, presumably as many of them are human as there were human servants. Considering some of those humans inhabit a hairbrush and a teacup, there may have been enough objects around that the toilet is just a toilet, which sounds slightly Freudian, but mostly reassuring. As for Belle being blamed for reading, that happens even today in some families where a parent is illiterate, or where the local school system is poor. My parents witnessed this personally in our nation's capital in the 60s, and from assisting with a reading camp for at-risk youth last summer, I am quite sure it still happens.

As a note of interest, I believe that the animated Disney version may have been based on one of Robin McKinley's retellings of the story. She wrote two, and the more detailed one is quite similar to the movie.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #612 on: March 18, 2017, 02:22:50 pm »
I noticed a lot of similarities to "Beauty" too, and  not to her 2nd version, "Rose Daughter".

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #613 on: March 18, 2017, 06:11:43 pm »
I suspect it was more of an accidental resemblance. Someone on the production group must have read it and let somethings slip in.

pondhawk

• Pack Member
« Reply #614 on: March 19, 2017, 06:06:46 am »
Maybe. It's possible the book was optioned without a lot of fanfare, as Diane Duane's were for the Star Trek reboot.