Author Topic: Ann Aguirre  (Read 139956 times)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Ann Aguirre
« on: January 29, 2008, 03:31:18 pm »
I thought I would start a thread on this author - although her book Grimspace I think is the first of a dualolgy. I have a feeling that she is going to be one of the breakout authors this year- Below is the summary of the first book Grimspace, which will be out 26th February. I have already preordered the book but since everyone here has really similar tastes I think it will be a great heads up for this upcoming author  :D

By all accounts, Sirantha Jax should have burned out years ago…

As the carrier of a rare gene, Jax has the ability to jump ships through grimspace—a talent which cuts into her life expectancy, but makes her a highly prized navigator for the Corp. But then the ship she’s navigating crash-lands, and she’s accused of killing everyone on board. It’s hard for Jax to defend herself: she has no memory of the crash.

Now imprisoned and the subject of a ruthless interrogation, Jax is on the verge of madness. Then a mysterious man breaks into her cell, offering her freedom—for a price. March needs Jax to help his small band of rogue fighters break the Corp monopoly on interstellar travel—and establish a new breed of jumper.

Jax is only good at one thing—grimspace—and it will eventually kill her. So she may as well have some fun in the meantime…

here is the link to excerpt-

http://www.annaguirre.com/books/grimspace/

The sequel Wanderlust is out later in the year.

Sirantha Jax doesn’t take chances…she jumps at them…

Sirantha Jax is a “Jumper,” a woman who possesses the unique genetic makeup needed to navigate faster than light ships through grimspace. Jax has worked for the Farwan Corporation her entire career. But now the word’s out that the Corp deliberately crashed a passenger ship, and their stranglehold on intergalactic commerce has crumbled—which means that Jax is out of a job.

She’s also broke, due to being declared dead a little prematurely. So when the government asks her to head up a vital diplomatic mission, Jax takes it. Her mandate: journey to the planet Ithiss-Tor and convince them to join the Conglomerate.

But Jax’s payday is light years away. First, she’ll have to contend with Syndicate criminals, a stormy relationship with her pilot, man-eating aliens, and her own grimspace-weakened body. She’ll be lucky just to make it to Ithiss-Tor alive…

Excerpt here

http://www.annaguirre.com/books/wanderlust/
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
Re: Ann Aguirre
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 12:50:23 pm »
I just finished Grimspace and it was fantastic and  I  highly recommend  it ;D
I loved the characters who are flawed but also likable and I love the setting its definitely Fireflyesque. There was great moments of humour there is one bit where the central characters have to foster a baby alien because they accidently disturbed its hatching phase.  :D
There is also a great love story which and I am looking forward to see how that evolves later in the next book which I cant wait to read the sequel
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

SweetSensation

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 01:41:07 pm »
I can't wait to get my copy. It seems like I've been waiting on this book forever. My local Walden's was not even going to get one copy in until I called to confirm the release date. So who knows when I'll get it.  :'(   I would just order it on Amazon but if I'm not placing a big order I hate to pay all the shipping costs. Sometimes it really blows living in a small town.  ::)
Mom always told me I could be whatever I wanted to be when I grew up, \\\'within reason.\\\' When I asked her what she meant by \\\'within reason,\\\' she said, \\\'You ask a lot of questions for a garbage man.\\\' <br />` Jack Handey `

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 10:21:38 am »
Its fantastic ;D and Ann told me from her site there will be more books after Wonderlust in the series so YAY! I am hooked on another series. This year so far has been great with books haven't read a bad one yet! Hope it continues:)

SweetSensation

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 05:24:30 pm »
 Well I got my copy of Grimspace yesterday, and it was wonderful.  ;D Its one of those books that lives up to all the hype. I'd also highly recommend it. I'm sooo glad we get another book in Sept.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what else happens between Jax and March.
Mom always told me I could be whatever I wanted to be when I grew up, \\\'within reason.\\\' When I asked her what she meant by \\\'within reason,\\\' she said, \\\'You ask a lot of questions for a garbage man.\\\' <br />` Jack Handey `

Jane

• Tool Wrangler
    • See Jane Score
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 02:02:30 pm »
I read Grimspace a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it! I definitely recommend it and I'm looking forward to reader Wanderlust too. ;D

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 04:30:16 pm »
This is killing me! I've got it at home, but can't get to it, yet!
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 05:27:54 pm »
This one I highly recommend. Awesome book.

I got a vague Firefly-esque vibe off it, which I really enjoyed. Got some great characters all with strong, memorable personalities. It was a really great read. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 05:34:08 pm »
I got a vague Firefly-esque vibe off it, which I really enjoyed.

You just said the magic words.  :D
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 05:36:12 pm »
LOL.

It's a shiny read, Ellyl. :D
Hurog Means Dragon.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 05:46:42 pm »
You're trouble, you.  I've already requested this book and the Violette Malan book from my library.  ;)
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 08:45:11 am »
I definitely recommend it- its a great book :)

Cant wait for Wanderlust which is out in September !

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 07:43:46 pm »
Oh WOW! This is an awesome book! I can see the Firefly reference, too - it's got humor, drama, science fiction, some romance, ... it's basically got it all. I bought it initially b/c Linnea Sinclair had a cover recommendation and I'm so glad I did. I see a lot of similarity in both of their writing, as well. Which is great, since Linnea is one of my favorite authors. Anyway, I'm so excited that they'll be a sequel. I wasn't sure when I got to the end of Grimspace. It could've been a stand-alone, too. But the world is just too rich not to explore! Her next book is definitely an auto-buy for me.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 04:55:47 am »
I knew you would love it :D

Check out Anne website

http://www.annaguirre.com/

- there is the first chapter excerpt for Wanderlust and also she has a new series as well which looks great. She's already an autobuy author for me and I cant wait to read more about Jax and co!

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 01:39:11 pm »
I knew you would love it :D

Check out Anne website

http://www.annaguirre.com/

- there is the first chapter excerpt for Wanderlust and also she has a new series as well which looks great. She's already an autobuy author for me and I cant wait to read more about Jax and co!

Oh, I've already bookmarked her site :) And read the first chapter of Wanderlust. Hmm, depending on how that book reads, Ann might be neck and neck to Lilith Saintcrow for my favorite author ....

You know who else I think would like this? Mazuko! I'll have to PM her with an evil grin  8)