Author Topic: Orson Scott Card  (Read 22316 times)

Jule

Orson Scott Card
« on: July 31, 2007, 12:49:00 pm »
Anyone have a thing for Osonn Scott Card. I loved Ender's Game; it had great action scenes and the character development was very well done.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
Re: Orson Scott Card
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 01:31:20 pm »
I ADORED "Ender's Game", it was gripping and unusual and had a twist to it.  His later books...I got disgusted with the whole thing around the book that involved the "porcininos" or whatever they were called.  Ender wound up wimpy, and everyone else drove me to murderous rages just because I wanted to kill them they were all so stupid.  :P 

Here's a fanart I found for Ender's game that I thought grasped it wonderfully.  http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/27208155/
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Elayne

• Tool Wrangler
    • ~Adventure's Dawn~
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 12:19:56 pm »
it's funny, i didn't like Ender's Game the first time I read it - I gave it a year or two then tried it again, then LOVED it! I did the same thing with his Alvin Maker series - hated it the first time I read it, loved it forever thereafter. :p
Looking for something new to read? ;)
~Adventure's Dawn~

weyrfolk

• Grease Monkey
  • I'd rather be a dragonback
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 12:55:24 pm »
I love Orson Scott Card.  Loved Ender's Game.  Very different story line when I first read it years ago.
I'd rather be a dragonback - Anne McCaffery

jenglows

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 08:13:18 pm »
I really enjoyed Ender's Game too. Didn't really get into the rest of the series though

Jule

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 08:17:17 pm »
I bought Speaker for the Dead and was surprised how different it was. I also bought Ender's Shadow and that looks better.

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 06:31:51 am »
I think Orson Scott Card is a fantastic writer.  He really puts a lot of emphasis on ethics and how to be a good person.  And like in real life,  the answers aren't easy.  I also like the amazing range of speculation and world building as well.

bingomzan

• Grease Monkey
  • Wolf link is the ultimate werewolf!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 12:54:27 pm »
I read the bean and ender quartets and cant wait for the ninth and final book.
***BONE CROSSED IS AMAZING!***   ***MY FAVORITE CHARACTER IS THE FAE WALKING STICK!!!***

Important Event Log
***Patty's books are ANTIQUES***

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 08:17:12 pm »
I loved Ender's Game and liked Speaker for the Dead, but I couldn't get into the rest of the series. I've been meaning to check out the Bean versions, but have never gotten around to it. Card actually lives in the same town where I grew up and taught a few guest classes at my undergraduate school. I've met him a few times at book signings and I've seen him a couple times just around the town. I remember reading Folk of the Fringe and freaking out because it was set in my hometown of Greensboro, NC. He got pretty specific in some of the descriptions :) Part of Ender's Game is set in NC, too. I live about 45 minutes away from Cherry Point, which is a brief scene. One nice story I have about him is when he was finishing up a book signing years ago for Lost Boys, maybe. I didn't realize he was going to be there but came up and told him how I'd gone to the school where he taught some classes and how I was sorry I couldn't take them, yada yada yada. He asked me if I'd like a book signed but said I couldn't afford a hardback (so gauche. I can only plead immaturity at the time). So he went up to the counter, told them he was buying it, signed it and gave it to me. I just remember being so astonished at that. Very nice of him. He writes a column in the freebie newspaper in GSO, but I don't often agree with his personal views on politics ::)

If you've not read it, you should pick up Enchantment. It's a great story and a stand alone book with a modern take on the classic Russian Baba Yaga faery tales. Not Disneyfied :)
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 05:27:24 am »
Aaaaand here's a comic about him. http://xkcd.com/  >;D
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 08:43:17 am »
Aaaaand here's a comic about him. http://xkcd.com/  >;D

Oh that's perfect!!!!
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Jule

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 08:40:15 pm »
He bought you a book, Cerulean? Aw, that was nice.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 07:11:08 pm »
He bought you a book, Cerulean? Aw, that was nice.
Yeah, that's what I thought :) I was so surprised! I had no idea an author of his stature would do something like that.

bingomzan

• Grease Monkey
  • Wolf link is the ultimate werewolf!
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 07:15:46 am »
oh, another little tidbit, he grew up in Richland, washington (part of the tri-cities)
***BONE CROSSED IS AMAZING!***   ***MY FAVORITE CHARACTER IS THE FAE WALKING STICK!!!***

Important Event Log
***Patty's books are ANTIQUES***

weyrfolk

• Grease Monkey
  • I'd rather be a dragonback
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 11:30:58 am »
Really!!  When was that?  Do you know? ???
I'd rather be a dragonback - Anne McCaffery