Author Topic: Signing in Czechia  (Read 5884 times)

Rowan

• Tool Wrangler
Signing in Czechia
« on: May 21, 2012, 01:32:47 pm »
I just want to thanks dear Patty for signing  in Czechia and dear Mike for great chat in the queue. It was really awesome to meet you both and I'm so happy I was there! (And I have to share with photos!  :D)
Greatings from Czechia! 
Rowan

It was realy hot here!

Me and dear Patty ^^

Some photos on my facebook! =) HERE  bOuNcY

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Signing in Czechia
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 01:36:45 pm »
Oh, that's excellent, Rowan!  Aren't Patty and Mike just the most interesting people to talk with?  And so obviously regular people like us, not strange mutations or something?
You're a fine looking Hurog too! :)
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 01:44:06 pm »
Rowan, what great pictures! Sounds like you had a fantastic time. Thanks so much for posting them!
Hurog Means Dragon.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 01:44:35 pm »
:) thanks for sharing Rowan.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 01:45:33 pm »
I'm loving the little wolf that Patty added to your book, Rowan. So cute!
Hurog Means Dragon.

Rowan

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 09:28:47 am »
I'm happy you like my photos - and the little wolf is so cute!

Yes, Patty and Mike are very kind and .. so normal! You know, it's like meeting a kind of personal idol for me... And the chating time in queue was great. And I was happy that they liked spending time in my country. It's always great to hear something like that =)

And thank you, Patti L.  :-LOVE

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 02:53:11 pm »

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 11:51:21 am »
Looks like a good time was had by all!  :)

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 03:35:18 pm »
Courtesy of "Marrok" we may have a translation of the interview next week.

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 03:44:40 pm »
Very Cool! Thanks Marrok!  :)

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 08:11:50 am »
Okay, here's the best translation, via Marrok's linguistic talent and my editing for grammar & some less obvious words/idioms, that we could come up with:

Translation from the interview: (please have in mind it won't be absolutely perfect as I don't actually understand how to bridge difference in sentence forming between Czech and English)

“Certainly no fans of Patricia Briggs books missed the information that the author has honored us by visiting the Book World 2012, “The Children of the Night,”  and we could not allow this unique opportunity to be with Patty escape, so we asked a few questions.”

Is this your first visit to Czech Republic?

Yes, it's powerful and I like it here. It's a beautiful country.

Have you looked around the city?

Yes, we took a walk in the city center, it was amazing.  I like the narrow streets and beautiful old architecture.  We also visited Brno.  While we were on the highway I looked at the surrounding towns and countryside.  You have beautiful forests.  I totally see how werewolves live there, in forests that have depth.

Your last published book in our country was "Štvanice"- "Cry Wolf". It contains some very interesting facts about the past of Samuel and Bran. Their transformation, and the legend of Bran becoming berserk. Maybe you could write a novel about their past. - some parts took translation liberty in order to have meaning.

I don't think I'll write a separate book, but I'll certainly write the story.  In the book I had to compress and edit a lot of characters, and writing books is more complex, the story would be easier.  Bran is my favorite character ever, so I definitely wanted him back, as well as because I do not know much about him.  He was in my head one day, discovered as mysterious, taciturn.  Writing characters is fun, when we ourselves basically know nothing of our characters.  But I'm fond of him, and would like to write a story for him, but probably not with him as the main character in a novel.  So the answer to your question is yes and no.

“Did you know from the beginning that Mercy would end up in Adam's arms, and not with Samuel?”

No, I had no idea at all.  I learned when I started writing that if I know how the story ends, I don't want to write.  So I had no idea if Mercy would end up with Samuel or not.  She likes to surprise me.  I let the story develop and flow from the opening and the characters' integrity, and see where that leads me, rather than scripting it, which leaves me bored.  So no, I didn't know that.

Would you like to live in Mercy's world?

I would not want to be Mercy (laughs), but to live in her world, why not?

Why wouldn't you want to be Mercy?

Because being Mercy is pretty complicated.  She always saves her friends from dangerous situations.  You know, I think it is actually quite nice to live in an uncertain world, due to various preternaturals.  It would be interesting.  Yes, I'd like to live in her world, but I would not want to be Mercy.  I would need to be – I don't know a giant or fairy or something.

Figure? Why giant?

I would like to be a fairy or other fae, whatever, just not Mercy.  I might wish I were a Grey Lord, so they all had to obey me, and would carry out my orders. (laughs)

And your husband, Mike, is he more like more like Adam or Samuel?

He is more like Adam.  The characteristics I like about Mike are carried over into Adam, and while Samuel is in many ways a very good person, he's not much like Adam.  He's very old, and has been a werewolf for a long, long time.

(Thank you, Marrok!)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:17:28 am by Patti L. »

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 08:11:03 pm »
Thank you so much for the translation, Marrok :)  And the editing, Patti.

I think interviewing someone in a foreign language -- then translating it would be miserable.  To translate it back gives pretty interesting results.  I wish I could remember exactly what I said in the first place -- but it sounds oddly accurate from where I'm sitting <grin>

I will add that I wouldn't want to be Mercy because her life is pretty . . . Eventful, is a good word.  But I'm working on Frost Burned right now and I think that Catastrophic is an even better one.

Hugs,
Patty Briggs

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 08:16:06 pm »
I was hoping we'd gotten it pretty close to right.  There were a few colloquialisms and one word that Marrok just didn't have an English word for.

Most multi-volume story protagonists would be kind of tough to be!

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 08:22:29 pm »
Rowan:
Wow, I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier.   THANK YOU for posting the photos, and for being so fun to talk with.  I had mixed luck getting people to talk with me in line -- some of them were pretty nervous (and it would help if I spoke Czech!).   So, talking with you and your friends was a lot of fun -- and the building was so HOT, you guys are tough to stand in those lines.  Just wanted to let you know we really, really had a grand time there.  In fact, I suspect we'll come back someday.  What a beautiful city, and friendly people.  :-LOVE
Where's my super-suit?