Author Topic: Mike Briggs passed away today.  (Read 4095 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Mike Briggs passed away today.
« on: January 23, 2017, 02:37:09 pm »
From Ann today:

It is with a very heavy heart that I write of the passing of one of the finest men I have ever known. Mike Briggs passed away early this morning, very unexpectedly. We are all deeply in shock and grieving. Things on the web page and Facebook will likely be a bit neglected while we sort things out and make all the necessary arrangements. Please understand if we can't reply to messages or inquiries right away. If you would like to send Patty and her family a condolence card, our address is P.O. Box 5394, Benton City, WA, 99320. Mike was simply just an awesome and amazing man; we will miss him every day for the rest of our lives. The Purple Avenger will be doing his good works in heaven;I will strive to live up to the example and high standards that he set. -Ann

//

Mike was a friend and one of the most generous and  kind-hearted men it was my privilege to know. He was true Renaissance man. I'll cherish the memories I have of the time spent here on the board with him and the conversations we shared over the years. He will be missed.

If you would like to send a condolence card Ann has posted the address above but also if you would like to post memories or moments you've shared with Mike here or condolences please do. Are thoughts are with the Briggs family and friends.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:53:03 pm by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
Re: Mike Briggs passed away today.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 03:00:31 pm »
Several years ago I was running a volunteer program on a small college campus. During the first year of the program, we decided to host a volunteer fair as a way to connect with and inspire more of the students. We also decided to hold a giveaway for the students and reached out to a variety of artists, authors, and creators. Patty and Mike were on that list. Mike graciously went above and beyond my original inquiry and I was able to place a couple of books into the hands of students as gifts. Just last week I saw one of the students, and they told me how much that book meant to them still. Mike's generosity directly contributed to several students discovering service learning and volunteerism and making service a part of their lives. A small example of the impact the Purple Avenger had in the world. I am forever thankful.

BillG

• Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 03:33:26 am »
My deepest sympathies go to his family and friends for this sudden loss. I only knew his warmth and wit through his postings, and I sorrow to realize they have ended. Blessed be.
“Do not be so open-minded that your brains fall out.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton
    “Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.”
    ― Albert Einstein

pondhawk

• Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 07:45:10 am »
I am so very sorry to hear of this. His posts revealed a thoughtful and witty writer in his own right. He will not be forgotten.

wolvin.mm

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
    • My blog (in Dutch)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 07:50:10 am »
So sad :-'
I have never met Patty and Mike, but I loved Mike's writings and the love that showed through.
I am so sorry for Patty and her family, and Ann.
Mike will be missed by people that have never met him personally, and so much more by people that shared their lives with him.

midnight

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:21:36 am »
utterly devastated.  I have never met Mike in person but through reading his posts, writings and looking at his pictures he came across as a warm, intelligent and caring man. I would read anything he wrote and I have to say it was an absolute highlight for me.

My prayers to his family. Having lost several close family members myself, I can feel their pain and my heart goes out to them.

God bless them and keep them safe.   

snapdragon

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 08:41:44 am »
All I can offer is virtual hugs and condolences. Patty and family please take care of yourselves.  :-'

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 07:51:20 pm »
I've been talking with some other Hurog folks about contributing to a donation to the Benton-Franklin County Humane Society, which Ann said was one of his favorite charities (on the Official Patricia Briggs FB page). If we can put together a one-time donation of $1000, it puts his name on an individual cat/kitten cage. If you are interested, I can set up a gofundme page for it. They charge a 5% fee, so we'd need to raise $1050 in honor of Mike. I have a closed Facebook group I started to try and organize it. If you are interested, PM me your name and I'll add you to the group, as well. I hope we can do this as a group, but even if we can't meet that goal, any donation or kind thought or prayer is welcome.

https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/1422602
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:07:12 pm by Cerulean »
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 05:44:05 am »
We were discussing the probable new titles for the next Hurog novel. One member suggested Dragon Wings. I asked why that made me think of something I should order in a bar. In one of his rare forum appearances Mike Briggs told me not to order them. He continued with a made up scenario that had me waking up in an alley with trolls having gone through my pockets. I deeply enjoyed that lighthearted moment.

Piper

• Mechanic
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 12:40:33 pm »
It is with a shattered heart and profound sadness, that I pass on my heartfelt condolences to Patty and their family.

I had the great honor of not only meeting Mike and Patty, but being able to spend the weekend camping with them and fellow Hurogs at the first Howl. Family, that's what it was like. Camping with family, full of song, stories and laughter.
It came at time in my life when I needed it most desperately. I am forever grateful.

The journey they had together was so full of love, light and happiness. It was apparent by they way they interacted not only within themselves, but with all of us as well. It was quite contagious. I'll forever remember going with Mike, Patty, and Elle to the store for a junk food run.

Much love to you and yours

"When children are difficult, they just need a nap.
When men are difficult, they're dubbed born leaders.
When I speak my mind, I'm considered a b**ch"
"B**ches rule!"