Author Topic: Thank You Patty, from the bottom of my heart.  (Read 2711 times)

Lavuli

• Tool Wrangler
Thank You Patty, from the bottom of my heart.
« on: January 13, 2017, 07:23:53 pm »
I have sat for hours thinking about exactly how I wanted to word my thank you note. ‘Alpha and Omega’ is the first book I have ever read where the protagonist aligned with who I am on such a personal level. I want you to know how heartfelt my thank you is, so I will share a part of my own past.

This book (and shifting shadows where Anna premiered) shows Anna not only enduring, but overcoming being brutalized. Most characters in stories that go through the kind of stuff Anna had to live through come out permanently distorted, at most they are secondary characters to be pitied or saved. But Anna doesn’t, she blossoms. Sure, Charles saves her from time to time, but she saves him too.

Just before my 18th birthday, I was kidnapped. I was kept mostly in a cage in a dark room for what i've come to understand was a year. Time was hard to keep in the dark, and when I was let out, it was hard to find any kind of watch or calendar when men were taking things from you. I had no Bran to call. No Charles. I was 100 LBS (I am 5'9”) and vomiting blood, they dropped me in the middle of nowhere with a hundred bucks for a greyhound. Maybe a dead body was too difficult to deal with? I don’t know. That all happened almost 10 years ago.

I have read ‘Alpha and Omega’ close to ten times in the last five months. I am completely caught up and preordered the next Mercy Thompson novel as well. I can’t describe how much it helps and how much joy I feel finally having a book character whom I can utterly relate to. Someone I can aspire to be more like.

Witnessing Anna work through the same kind of issues I had, learning to be around people again, how hard simple things are to do some times. These are all things I had to do too. I love reading about her day to day life. My favorite parts of the books are when Anna is happy. When Anna is doing mundane things, having fun, or just living her life. This may sound silly but I wept the first time I read ‘Alpha and Omega’.

I have decided to help people, to progress my life like Anna has. In a different way though, I am going to college to become a registered nurse. I am unsure if I would have found my path without your books or be as whole of a person as I am now.

Thank you Patricia Briggs, from the bottom of my heart,

Evelyn

Lavuli

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Thank You Patty, from the bottom of my heart.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:28:53 am »
Sorry if this was too much, I didn't know how to convey the message any other way.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 12:10:07 pm »
I believe I speak for the majority of the people here (Not Patty, I'm not her) when I say you're probably making her tearfully happy that she helped someone, and we are awed that you're willing to share, and glad for you that you've found a way to healing.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 01:53:13 am »
I was absolutely amazed at the brutal honesty of you post. I was also very happy to hear of your positive future plans. The courage to make such an inner change after such a horrible situation is something I respect and admire. The fact that you could link this to a book I enjoyed is frosting on the cake.

Lavuli

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 08:32:08 am »
Thank you Patti. L and Janilee. I tend to be more blunt than I try to be and more honest than people want.  I love how strong Anna is in the books, I aim to be like her in many ways haha.

Anywho, I think my shyness has overtaken me but I would like to be part of this community.

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 09:06:04 am »
We will be happy to have you, Lavuli. See you around the board!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 12:30:02 pm »
Yes, post; we hardly bite at all! (mostly because our resident Blue Squirrel, Cole, hasn't been around lately to take chunks out of ankles.)
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 05:44:38 pm »
We will enjoy your participation.  :)

Lavuli

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 11:11:04 am »
Just started Silence fallen, I am soooooo excited!

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 12:54:02 pm »
Good for you. :D

Briggs books 4 life

• Tool Wrangler
Thank You Patty, from the bottom of my heart. and 4 my sons high reading lv
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 10:19:30 am »
Thank you so very very much! I am a 40yr old disabled single father, I have read all the books And own them all because I read each at least once a year! When my son was in grade 4 the books we were reading together were too easy for him so we began in on my favourites (the mercy series) Moon called was a bit of a struggle so we took turns I read aloud for 15 in and then he would. We stopped and I explained and defined any words he didn't know and his reading and comprehension levels sky rocketed. At the time I was waiting for river marked to come out so we read cry wolf and hunting ground as well.
 Since then my son Austin hasn't read a lot but maybe a book per year other than required reading. 2 weeks ago his grade 11 english teacher was testing students individually for oral reading and comprehension levels. Austin was told he scored highest all year of all the teachers classes. bOuNcY I believe my love of your books and our reading them together was 95% responsible so thank you! please never stop writing your books and Ilona Andrews are my favourite things in life over than my family! :P

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 01:47:31 pm »
Wow! That is great. :D

HauntingOnXAuthor

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 11:17:27 am »
I agree I enjoy everything in her Mercyverse. My sister turned me on to the series while I was looking for something to fill the long wait for the next Dresden Files book. And this series is so awesome. I grew up in Eastern Oregon, so I relate to a lot of the places that are brought up in the book. I have even fished for sturgeon on the Columbia River, so I won't be able to look at the river the same again. It's bad enough that we have to deal with getting bumped by a 15-20ft harmless fish...

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 11:50:08 am »
No kidding! I'd be a little spooked too.