Author Topic: Why the Tri-Cities?  (Read 2908 times)

ksabers

• Grease Monkey
  • Knight Sabers, sanjo!
    • Vento e Fuoco
Why the Tri-Cities?
« on: July 27, 2007, 02:29:47 am »
First of all, Patty, let me THANK YOU for your great books, for the great fantasy world you have created and for your kindness to be here with your readers and fans.

I would have a long, very long list of questions, but I'd try to make order in them and to extract only the most significant, promised! (and sorry if my English is not perfect)

The first question is... why have you have chosen the Washington Tri-Cities as a setting for the Mercy stories? Have you lived there? Is there a particular atmosphere in that location, something that made you think "this is a place for werewolves and vampires"? It is not a very known location, surely not outside the States, and at first I thought it was a fictional place. Your stories have placed in me the desire to know better that zone, and now I am hunting on the Internet and Google Earth for pictures and info about it.  (You thought they were only fantasy stories? No, they are guide-books too!  ;D)

Thank you,

Giorgio
(your #1 Italian fan, and I'll defend this title tooth and nail!)  :D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:30:44 pm by Elle »
Hi, I am Samus Aran, and you are history!
(ooppss, this was Buffy...)

Visit my image gallery at Renderosity!

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
Re: Why the Tri-Cities?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 07:20:17 pm »
Yes :)  I lived in the Tri-Cities for ten years off and on.  In Benton City (a small town about 10 miles outside of the Tri-Cities), Kennewick and Richland (though I have friends in Pasco!).  I was living there when my editor called to see if I'd write an Urban fantasy.  I thought about Seattle, Portland or Spokane as a setting (as I'm familiar with them).  But then I started thinking about the Tri-Cities, and the more I thought, the more I liked it.  There are people from all walks of life -- PhD's to illegal ag workers and everyone in between.  We have the military industrial complex, Native American reservations (my Indian friend tells me, just call us Indians, but in this case I use Native American because there are a lot of India Indians in the Tri-Cities).  The people are diverse.  It's just big enough to support a werewolf pack, but not so big as to be generic.  Lots and lots of material for me.  Plus I get to use my friends houses for the vampires and werewolves to live in <grin>.