Author Topic: Sharon Shinn  (Read 13002 times)

Staplegun

• Mechanic
Sharon Shinn
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:04:38 pm »
I was looking around, and I couldn't seem to find a Sharon Shinn post! (I'm thinking her books have been discussed on this board, but she didn't seem to have a formal "Authors" topic.)
(I apologize moderators if I'm just blind Oo. Feel free to delete this if I am ~.^)

She writes in the fantasy/sci-fi category. She has 2 series that I am aware of (Samaria and The Twelve Houses) and several stand alone books.
The Samaria series is about a world of humans and angels and a God, Jovah or Yovah, to whom the Angels pray and receive anything from antibiotics to rain. These books seem to often have a good bit of romance and politics in them (revolving often around the archangel and his/her human spouse), and they make for enjoyable reads.

The Twelve Houses series is about a group of mystics (people with magical powers) and their quest to bring stability to the country and to gain acceptance for mystics. These also often have a bit of romance in them, and each book is primarily about one of the party members and his/her place. 

I liked Heart of Gold well enough, and haven't gotten to Wrapt in Crystal or The Shape-changer's Wife, but I've heard good things about them, and as soon as General Winston's Daughter comes out in paperback, I'll buy it.

So, all in all, I truly enjoy Sharon Shinn's stories and writing style; however, it may not suit everyone.

~Staplegun

gryphon340

• Mechanic
Re: Sharon Shinn
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 04:58:44 pm »
I enjoy The Twelve Houses series.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

opramum

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:59:45 pm »
I read the one that was a rewrite of Jane Eyre, Jenna Starborn (?).  It was pretty good.
Esteemed member of the SOOGA

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:40:44 am »
"Jenna Starborn" is correct title, but rewrite was "Great Expections". That's what in the synposis of the book.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 02:24:17 am »
"Jenna Starborn" is correct title, but rewrite was "Great Expections". That's what in the synposis of the book.

oh huh....I always thought it was a rewrite of Jane Eyre too. Goes to show what I know... :P

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 08:50:16 am »
Too bad the last book in "the Twelves" comes next year.
life is terminal

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 10:27:14 am »
Reader and Raelynx is the last book in that series that I know of, and it is already out....in the form of hardback :( hehe hopefully not too late in the year the paperback will come out. ~.^

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 11:52:05 am »
From Sharon herself told me in an e-mail that she writing another book for the series. It involes the Rider who left 'cause Justin wasn't in love with her. I believe Wyn was her name.
life is terminal

opramum

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 01:18:27 pm »

Hmm, this is just one of several places that call it at least "an adaption."

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue262/books.html

Author Sharon Shinn takes a sincere stab at alchemizing science fiction from the popular, gloomy, gothic novels of the 1830s. Jenna Starborn loyally, but not slavishly, follows the plot and character outlines of Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre. It is a loyal enough retelling so that even if the reader has not read the jacket copy that declares this novel to be an adaptation of the classic tale, the similarities will be salient.

Esteemed member of the SOOGA

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 05:15:04 pm »
From Sharon herself told me in an e-mail that she writing another book for the series. It involes the Rider who left 'cause Justin wasn't in love with her. I believe Wyn was her name.

Ah! Sweet! I'd heard that the current one was going to be the last! You've just made my 10 minutes. ;P

dsgholam

• Tinker
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 05:18:33 pm »
I've loved her Sumaria and Mystics series, but my favorite of her books is Summers at Castle Auburn. Angel Seeker was a little sad for my taste, though.

"Please don't shoot the pianist, he's doing his best." -printed sign in America seen by Oscar Wilde

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 01:35:52 pm »
Summers at Castle Auburn was really awesome, but speaking of sad ones have you read her short Bargain with the Wind in Elemental Magic?

dsgholam

• Tinker
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 08:48:38 am »
I have Elemental Magics, but I haven't read that story yet. Is it sad? In that case, I may hold off for a while before I do read it.

"Please don't shoot the pianist, he's doing his best." -printed sign in America seen by Oscar Wilde

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 08:58:02 am »
It is a very good tale and an interesting retelling of the original fairy tale, but I found it sad, and I had to read a couple happy ones after it in order to go to sleep ^.^ I would definitely read it though.

Goddess of the Night

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 04:05:21 am »
Sharon Shinn's new book in the The Twelve Houses series is called Fortune And Fate it is going to be released in Hardcover on November 4, 2008

"...Twelve Houses books have captivated readers and critics alike with their irresistible cocktail of fantasy, romance, and adventure. Now Shinn returns with a new novel set in the same world, where a troubled Warrior Rider named Wen faces her greatest challenge in the last place she ever expected: behind the walls of a great family estate known as Fortune, where Wen has been hired to guard the young heiress. Once there, she will find that fate has other plans for her"

~*~ Nyx ~*~ Goddess of the Night ~*~