Author Topic: If Mercy Thompson got a live action treatment?  (Read 6322 times)

Jake

• Grease Monkey
  • Kaiju Rulez
If Mercy Thompson got a live action treatment?
« on: May 19, 2016, 07:21:16 pm »
First, let me say this is not a "will there be a Mercy movie?" or "when is it coming?" topic. I get tired of those when there isn't any news.

With that said; I just wanted to ask if The Mercy Thompson series was to ever get a live action treatment, would you rather see it as a movie or T.V. show? Depending on your choice, what type of film or show would you prefer it as?

For me personally, I think I'd want to see Mercy as a T.V. show.

For one thing, movies today are dominated with too many familiar/ popular brands (Marvel, Dc, Star Wars) that I fear a Mercy movie would get totally overshadowed. Also, I'm not sure a two hour movie would do Mercy justice since their is a lot of content in the books. Not to mention, movies love to tone down a ton of things.

For T.V. shows, I feel a show would do a WAY better job developing the stories, the characters and the world building, something the books have a LOT of. Plus, it also appears that T.V. today gets past censorship more than movies do.

If their is Mercy show, I'd damn sure watch it. I'd pray the show would have it's own unique tone and style, but I'd also love for it to take Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and maybe True Blood as inspirations. I'd also love to see the show have interesting opening for each episode like Breaking Bad did. Here's an example, the first episode should start with Mercy (in coyote form) saving Mack from the two thugs that tried to take him, then cut to the beginning credits and then the show begins. I also think the intros would to a good opportunity to show flashbacks like Mercy's past relationship with Samuel or a small in depth detail of Jesse's kidnapping or even Adam's time in Vietnam. They could also tease what's about to happen in the current episode.

I don't really want to talk about casting choices because I'd rather see fresher faces play the roles. However, I'd love to see Julia Jones play Mercy and Thomas Jane play Adam. But that's just me LOL.

As for what channel the Mercy show should be on? I would LOVE to see it on AMC, because the they have a TON great hit shows like Walking Dead and Better Call Saul. Plus many of their shows have an urban feel to them like the books do. However, I also feel like either Netflix or HBO would be a better option because they allow longer run times and don't seem to worry about censorship.

This is my two cents. What do you guys think?
Forget money, I have a vision!

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
Re: If Mercy Thompson got a live action treatment?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 07:23:52 pm »
 8) I agree with TV over movie.

I'm not certain which channel, except not SCYFY.

Jake

• Grease Monkey
  • Kaiju Rulez
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 07:29:19 pm »
8) I agree with TV over movie.

I'm not certain which channel, except not SCYFY.

IKR! Like I said, I'd go for AMC (my favorite TV channel) or either Netflix or HBO (because of longer run times and doesn't worry about censorship). But not SCYFY or CW.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 05:39:09 am »
I would opt for a Amazon Show, I like the quality of what they put out thus far.
Haven't seen a single thing by Netflix yet, but most don't sound to my taste anyway, and have yet to see anything good from HBO, so I would want neither.
I guess HBO somewhat less than Netflix, because I feel HBO would put the emphasis on all the wrong aspects.

ScyFy, I'd say has first to learn how to properly spell - there's no Y in SciFi.
Not mention how to use a computer, their work seems to be stuck in the very early computer stone age. Although, truth be said, the shoddy FX is sometimes all that saves their productions from being, well, not being utter garbage, because it always is, from being void of any entertainment value I'd say.

Movie would have certain advantages over TV format, but would need to take more liberties with story development, but they would take those either way.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 05:29:39 pm »
I wouldn't wish TrueBlood as an inspiration for live action treatment on any book series I loved. The TrueBlood series, after the first couple of episodes, had almost nothing in common with the books except for some character names. They did a few good things with it - Lafayette was magnificent in the show, whereas in the books he was a very minor character who was killed off early on. Overall, though, TrueBlood was a huge disappointment to most of the readers who loved the books first. All the nuance from the books was lost, and the show's writers relied heavily on stereotypes, which the books mainly avoided.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:32:42 pm by pondhawk »

Jake

• Grease Monkey
  • Kaiju Rulez
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 07:12:37 pm »
I wouldn't wish TrueBlood as an inspiration for live action treatment on any book series I loved. The TrueBlood series, after the first couple of episodes, had almost nothing in common with the books except for some character names. They did a few good things with it - Lafayette was magnificent in the show, whereas in the books he was a very minor character who was killed off early on. Overall, though, TrueBlood was a huge disappointment to most of the readers who loved the books first. All the nuance from the books was lost, and the show's writers relied heavily on stereotypes, which the books mainly avoided.

Yeah, maybe True Blood was a bad example. Sorry  :-'. Truth be told, I never watched the whole show myself. Just trying to think of some examples.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 05:53:55 am »
Were Walking Dead and Breaking bad based on books? I know Game of Thrones is supposed to be a pretty good treatment of an existing series. A lot of the other really good shows were conceived as shows first though, weren't they?  Part of the issue may be that when you really love a book series, you find it hard to improve upon or even live up to, while shows that are not really based upon book sources carry a lighter weight of expectation. I just know that with TrueBlood, the writers eventually relapsed into standard Hollywood tropes. I only watched the first ep and parts of another couple myself, but heard enough about it from my kids and Cleolinda to know somewhat what was going on. My kids were outraged that Sookie became a typical lame screen blonde.

Jake

• Grease Monkey
  • Kaiju Rulez
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 08:03:41 am »
Were Walking Dead and Breaking bad based on books? I know Game of Thrones is supposed to be a pretty good treatment of an existing series. A lot of the other really good shows were conceived as shows first though, weren't they?  Part of the issue may be that when you really love a book series, you find it hard to improve upon or even live up to, while shows that are not really based upon book sources carry a lighter weight of expectation. I just know that with TrueBlood, the writers eventually relapsed into standard Hollywood tropes. I only watched the first ep and parts of another couple myself, but heard enough about it from my kids and Cleolinda to know somewhat what was going on. My kids were outraged that Sookie became a typical lame screen blonde.

Whoa, slow down a bit. I never said WW or BB were based on books. Though WW was a graphic novel. What I was referring to was the style and tone of the shows. They have a nice urban feel to them. I already sad sorry about using tb as an example. i didint know you hated it. I just thought some of the style of the show was a good example but I guess I was wrong. Once again I'm sorry.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 09:50:45 am »
You know, I'm neither offended nor trying to offend anyone. TV stuff is not my strong suit, because I don't really watch it often. I would certainly have made the exception for True Blood under other circumstances, as I would for Mercy or Kate Daniels if they were well done. I was asking because I wanted to know. Discussions in which everyone knows and agrees upon every little thing can be gratifying, but are not all that interesting in my experience.

I would be really thrilled if someone took the books - Mercy's or Kate's or any other good series - and made a TV series that was true to the style and tone of the books themselves. I'd even be happy if they changed the style and tone but kept the nuances and deeply-realized characters. It's just such a roll of the dice when the author sells the rights, though, no matter who buys them.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 12:37:50 pm »
Although, I have not had a chance to view them. I understand STARS is doing a good job of portraying the Diana Gabaldon books.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 11:41:08 am »
That's what I've heard. I've never been willing to invest the time necessary to get into that particular series, or into GoT. I understand they're very well done, and my elder daughter loves GoT. I just look at those books and think I'd probably use them to prop up shelves.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 11:58:26 am »
Read the first GoT and did not like the tone. I went no further. I haven't seen the series.