Author Topic: Rereading observations  (Read 8588 times)

YuleRule

• Grease Monkey
Rereading observations
« on: March 30, 2016, 06:26:53 pm »
So I went on a binge rereading spree - I'm up to River Marked now. I noticed that Mercy's bodycount is pretty high. Book 1 - 3 Weres, Book 2 - 2 vampires, Book 3 - a human, Book 4 - vampire, Book 5 - 1 fae (faerie queen), Book 6 - river devil, Book 7 - vampire & zombie fae, Book 8 - tibicena, Book 9 - 1 fae in Adam's house, 3 fae in underhill (2 male fae & Widow Queen(Gray Lord)).
Total: 4 vampires, 5 fae (one being a Gray Lord), 3 werewolves, river devil and tibicena. Oh and a human. Should the zombie fae go under zombie or fae?

Random observation: As the series goes on, Mercy's history degree is mentioned less and less. Also, I've known for a long while that Bran+Samuel are incredibly old. We know Asil is over 1300 years old, and Bran is possibly older. So it was amusing, that in Iron Kissed, Mercy thout that Bran was younger than Peter (Changed during Revolutionary war)

Edit:The history degree mention just becomes much subtler. It's interesting to see how Mercy gains knowledge - a lot of the knowlege we just take for granted now, Mercy didn't know. She name drops Zee now, but in MC she didn't know his history. Also, she didn't know the importance of the Master of Milan when he was first mentioned (come to think of it, we still know nothing about him, just that he is powerful and can be name-dropped)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 06:47:31 am by YuleRule »
Please Check These Out!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Rereading observations
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 07:22:51 pm »
Do you include any of the otterkin?
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

YuleRule

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 04:14:56 am »
I didn't - I think credit for the one otterkin kill goes half to Mercy and half to walking stick. Does killing a lot of high powered individuals make Mercy a Power in her own right? *facetious* She did just kill a Gray Lord ...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 07:21:04 pm by YuleRule »
Please Check These Out!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 07:53:01 am »
I'm wondering - suddenly this morning - what happens to all the employees and students at the daycare/school from Dead Heat?

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 11:37:10 am »
That will be a difficult investigation.

YuleRule

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 11:16:32 am »
So I read Dead Heat a while ago, and i noticed that Anna kept mentioning that Charles has very few friends. (Probably connected to the fact that he isn't willing to be friends with a wolf he may later need to kill.)
DEAD HEAT:
Ch 1
Charles didn’t have many friends. Acquaintances, yes, but not friends—and he was very careful in what words he chose. The people he was close to were numbered on the fingers of one hand—Anna; his brother, Samuel; and his da. Probably Mercy, the coyote shapeshifter who’d been raised in his pack, would qualify. But that was it. Charles was nearly two hundred years old and he’d collected very few people to love

Ch 5
Anna said, “Anyway. Charles is hard. He has to be. Justice and law, right? Because without those he cannot function. He doesn’t get close to people—just his father, his brother, his foster sister, and me. And Joseph."

Ch 11
That the people he cared about he could count on the fingers of one hand: herself, Bran, Samuel, probably Mercy. This trip had allowed her to add one more person to that list: Joseph. Five people, because he could not keep any more than that safe.

So Anna's pretty definitive that Charles considers Mercy a friend.

HOWEVER, in the Mercy books, we never see a hint of that. In Moon Called, Mercy thinks:
I had always thought he rather despised me, though he treated me with the same remote courtesy he used with everyone else.

In Night Broken, when discussing the prank she played on Leah with the shoes, we have the following:
"In between trips, because I couldn’t quite manage to make it there unseen every day, I hid them in the bed of Charles’s truck.”

“I thought you were afraid of Charles.”

I nodded. “So was everyone else, though. And he only drove that truck when he absolutely had to.”

So How can Charles consider Mercy a friend (possibly because she's not under Bran's aegis, so he can't be ordered to kill her) while Mercy is just as scared of Charles as all the other wolves?
Please Check These Out!

YuleRule

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 11:41:46 am »
Another point: Length of time a werewolf can stay as a wolf. We've been told, multiple times that weres can't stay as wolves. In Silver Borne, even a week as a wolf for Sam is pushing it. Charles told a story of how his friend stayed a wolf, then went crazy. Charles also told Anna in one of the Alpha and Omega novels that there was a female wolf who gave birth to pups, but she was crazy by that time and ate them and had to be put down.

However: We have two counter examples. In dead Heat, when they're investigating, they go to talk to someone whose "big dog" ran off the fae.
“My dad brought him home from work one day a few years before the … incident. I don’t remember it, but it’s one of those family stories, you know? My mom was scared of him and wanted Dad to take him back where he found it. Then that big dog walked up to her and put his nose on her foot and sighed. He stared at her until she fed him. She was a goner after that.”

He smiled at the memory, then sobered. “We only had him for another month or so after that.

So a wolf stayed in wolf form for years.

Example 2, in Shifting shadows, the story Roses in Winter, the wolf Devon.
In all the time Asil had been in Montana, he’d never seen Devon use his human form.
And hasn't Asil been there for 15 years as of Cry Wolf.
later, Asil says,
"Devon has not taken human form in my presence for a hundred years,”

Are there any explanations for these two wolves? Why are they exceptions to the rule? From what I understand, the human is dominant in them, even if they stay in wolf form.
Please Check These Out!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 12:18:50 pm »
I've been wondering about Devon and Archibald myself!

With regard to Mercy's relationship to Charles, what she saw/felt doesn't have to match what he feels & has let her see!
She thought Bran was furious about wreaking his Porsche(or was it a beemer?), not about nearly killing herself doing it.
Remember that memory the mating bond shared with her from Adam's perspective, where he was thinking about her toughness, and she thought he always though of her as fragile?  So yeah, Mercy's not always the best judge of other peoples emotions.

YuleRule

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 01:35:42 pm »
Maybe she isn't the best judge of emotions, but my quibble here is that Anna calls these people friends. Sure Charles may like her, withought Mercy realizing. But Charles can't be friends with Mercy without Mercy seeing that he treats her differently than others, is at least warmer towards her. They have to have some positive interactions for them to be friends, rather than say, aquaintances. From Mercy's point of view no such interactions exist.

I really want to ask Patty what's up with Devon and Archibald - is it a mistake, was it on purpose?
Please Check These Out!

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 01:48:39 pm »
The text you quote above does not specifically label Mercy a friend. In each quote above, she is on a list of people he is said either to care about or to be close to. She is also labeled his foster sister in one quote. So he may consider he more family than friend. As to her being afraid of Charles, that is only smart. He is pretty inscrutable, and when she was younger and living with the pack, he may have had to maintain a stern demeanor to keep her from taking more liberties than she otherwise did. I seem to recall him rescuing her from Leah on one occasion.

YuleRule

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 07:02:55 am »
In my first quote, it specifically talks about friends.
Please Check These Out!

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 08:02:45 am »
Yes, but if you reread the quote, you will note that it says he does not have many friends. Then it lists not friends, but people he cares about or is close to. It does not specifically describe the people listed as friends. In fact, with the exception of Joseph, they are all family. Now, family can certainly be friends, but it's not required. You can care about and be close to family members without necessarily being friends. I think Charles cares about Mercy. I think he is close to her in the familial sense. I think he might conceivably consider her a friend. I also think that he is so reserved and guarded that Mercy, who is much more of an extrovert than he is - there are probably things living under rocks that are more extroverted than Charles - might not realize how much he cares about her.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 04:15:35 pm »
Another point to Charles caring about Mercy more than she realizes; she's generally good at werewolf body language, from her upbringing, but even other werewolves that have been around him a long time don't get his subtleties.  Anna does, generally, but she's both Omega, and mated to him.

Here's a re-read observation/question I've got;   Bran's supposed to hold his AlphaCon once or twice a year, and attendance is supposed to be mandatory.  So how did the alpha who sent in the troublemakers in "Roses in Winter" avoid going there?  And how about Silver Pete, the 'legendary' alpha that virtually no-one else realized was still alive; how did THAT happen?  What kind of OTHER exceptions are there that we don't know about?

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 06:24:46 pm »
I would like to know as well. My guess would be that travelling to and from Alaska was once too difficult to be taken yearly. Maybe when travel became easier, neither of them felt the need to upset the status quo? Truly, that's the only reason I can come up with.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 06:27:44 pm »
Older wolf uncomfortable with technology & being packed in a tin can with base humans is another possibility.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 08:33:11 am »
Good leaders know when not to push. Just saying.

BillG

• Pack Member
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 08:13:06 am »
Rereading 'Frost Burned' to see if the bit about Adam recalling Mercy bringing him cookies is in it I found this comment, as Adam was musing that he did not want to turn Elizaveta. Page 158 in the hardbound, fourth full paragraph:
  "Adam know of three werewolves who had been witchborn. they were the three most dangerous and powerful werewolves in the world, and he didn't think it was an accident."

Still no sign of chocolate chip cookies.
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 02:33:13 pm »
Pretty sure they're in RIVER MARKED. But a reread is never wasted.

BillG

• Pack Member
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 04:16:54 pm »
I've just re-started 'Silver Borne' and that's where the story is. Starting on page 18, going through to 20 and then to Mercy reflecting on what she'd learned from it, it's a flashback via the still-erratic Mating Bond.
Leo Buscaglia

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 08:47:43 am »
Ah, thanks. I knew it was a flashback from the mating bond, but couldn't remember the exact book.

BillG

• Pack Member
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 03:38:41 am »
That's all my alleged memory came up with as well. So I had to force, FORCE myself to reread.
Oh, the rigors of it all!
Snicker.
Leo Buscaglia

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 08:10:15 am »
 :D

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!