Author Topic: Werewolves & Polyamory  (Read 3081 times)

Ekko

• Tool Wrangler
Werewolves & Polyamory
« on: March 29, 2016, 07:40:08 pm »
So I've been a fan of Patty's for ages now, and while reading her books I like to speculate on things for the fun of it. MOST of my speculations have been brought up on here and answered to some degree, but this one hasn't!

We know that werewolves are typically rather traditional in their relationships. However, with Kyle and Warren, there is a slowly shifting acceptance (at least among some packs) to the truth that werewolves are subject to the strange and complex feelings of humans - including homosexuality.

So if homosexuality is a possibility, why not take this a step further. Would polyamorous relationships be possible for werewolves? And if so, is a mate bond able to be formed between all three (assuming it's just a threesome situation) members, if the wolves were content with the idea of it and saw an overall benefit? Or are they too overtly possessive to "share" affections reasonably any way? What if two wolves, or a wolf and human had mate bonded but took on a third lover that was completely consensual, would this be treated the same as cheating is (in that it's seen as a huge shame on the wolves that their mates would sleep with another) or not?

Speculations, go!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 11:20:10 am by Ekko »

pondhawk

• Pack Member
Re: Wolves & Polyamory
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 07:40:54 am »
Actually homosexuality does exist in nature in species other than humans. In male sheep, for instance, it's about 2-3% of the population. In dogs, I suspect it's higher (there is your speculation, because I haven't actually seen any studies on it) and might be in wolves as well. Polyamory exists in bonobos, but I don't know offhand of any non-primate species where it is practiced in the way humans think of it.

Ekko

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Wolves & Polyamory
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 10:52:45 am »
Oh yes, I do know that homosexual and/or polysexual behavior is displayed in a number of natural animals - bonobos and dolphins coming immediately to mind. I suppose in this case, I should have specified that by "wolves", I was referring to Patty's werewolves. Whoops!

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Werewolves & Polyamory
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 05:27:27 pm »
Anything is possible, but I think it's unlikely. After all, the werewolves are already kind of in a polyamorous relationship if you count their wolf sides. Keep adding more people into the mix and it gets super complex.

katy

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 05:53:08 pm »
I would think that anything that occurs in the human population might well occur in the werewolf population.  After all, except for Charles, all of the werewolves are humans (and usually adult humans) before they are changed, so whatever preferences they have would likely stay the same.  We did hear about one werewolf (the police officer Warren talked to in "In Red with Pearls") who is an active member of the local BDSM community.

And, yes, as Zealith points out, at least in the case of Anna and Charles, there seem to be four beings involved in that relationship.

pondhawk

• Pack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 05:36:57 am »
The potential is certainly there. Remember though that the werewolves are a small subset of the population, and not necessarily a perfectly representative one. Their demographics don't mirror the general population in chronological age, for instance, as there are few if any child werewolves that we are aware of since Charles reached maturity (a couple of teens, but that's about it) and many of the adult weres are far beyond a human lifespan. So the intersection of that subset with subsets of sexual behaviors could be larger or smaller than that of the general population.   

EFG 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 05:57:55 am by pondhawk »

katy

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 05:17:50 pm »
Yes, and as Warren points out, most gay werewolves haven't survived long due to the prejudices held by the other wolves.  That is one of many things that may be (gradually) changing, though, as human attitudes change.

pondhawk

• Pack Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 04:54:35 am »
There I think we have to make a differentiation between behavior and biology. Homosexuality is biologically based. Warren was born that way. Prejudice against homosexuals, whether they are sexually active or not, is prejudice against people. BDSM is a learned behavior. It may well have some biological components, but it's more a cultural/environmental phenomenon. Prejudice against BDSM may not be particularly useful, as long as the behavior involves truly consenting, actual adults, but at least it's a prejudice against behavior and not against an innate component of identity.

katy

• Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 04:16:20 pm »
I agree.  Since the original question was about polyamory, I was sort of casting a broad net in my thinking about various aspects of sexuality and sexual behavior.  I think of polyamory as a behavior that may be engaged in by people of many sexual orientations, much like I think of monogamy -- but quite honestly, I'm not sure what current thinking is regarding that, and didn't want to open any political cans-o-worms.

pondhawk

• Pack Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 04:06:08 am »
I'm pretty sure that is the current thinking, in fact. But the original poster did not differentiate between the two, and the distinction needs to be made at some point.

Ekko

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 12:56:31 pm »
I wasn't particularly looking to turn this into a political discussion - truthfully I was hoping to get a response from Patty herself! It was merely a question of curiosity - can werewolves be polyamorous, or do their wolf natures resist/prevent that and only settle for monogamous (regardless of orientation) bonds? I was referring only to polyamory, not to other behaviors such as BDSM - which we have already seen a wolf partake in.

ChuckC

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 05:59:49 pm »
Remember the discussion regarding Kara in Blood Bound:  “Unmated females belong to the Alpha. Your wolf instincts kick in, so it’s not terrible”— her eyes said differently—“even if you don’t particularly like the Alpha. But a girl so young… I’m not certain that an Alpha would spare her.” She took a deep breath and whispered, almost to herself, “I know some of them would even enjoy it.”
So it is canon that some alphas please themselves with all unmated females, even if young and unwilling.
And then there is what happened to Anna.

So sexual polyamory is common, it's the magical mating bond that is more selective.
It's not permanent, or Adam would still be mated to Christy.

pondhawk

• Pack Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 06:35:35 pm »
That is polygamy, not polyamory as I believe the original poster meant it. Polyamory as the term is currently understood implies willingness from all parties, with both having multiple partners. Granted that it probably sounds better in theory than it may look in practice, polyamory in that definition would pretty much be the opposite of "ownership" of females, mated or unmated.