Author Topic: Steve Miller & Sharon Lee  (Read 78045 times)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
Re: Steve Miller & Sharon Lee
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2011, 09:44:59 am »
I once picked up a Liaden book and couldn't get into it. But Amazon suggested that I would like Ghost Ship, so I checked it out. I realized I needed to read earlier books and sort of figured out that I needed to read Agent of Change. After looking at other reviews, I ended up buying Partners in Necessity, the omnibus version of three books: Conflict of Honors, Agent of Change and Carpe Diem. I was disappointed that I couldn't find any of theses for Kindle and none in Barnes & Noble, so I ordered a used hardcopy from Amazon. Should be in within a week or so.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2011, 09:47:31 am »
Lee & Miller have started an ebook shop with Smashwords.  Pinbeam books, I believe.  And Baen should have them too.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2011, 11:41:59 am »
Here's the link to their "Splinter Universe" site, where the final Balance between Ren Zel and Clan Jabun is effected:  http://splinteruniverse.com/?page_id=157
It's free to read, but if you have a bit of money to contribute, that would be good.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2011, 01:47:42 pm »
I just finished all three books and liked them. There were some things I didn't like, but overall, yes. So which ones should I read next?
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2011, 01:53:55 pm »
Which three?  The first, "Agent of Change", "Conflict of Honors" and "Carpe Diem"?

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2011, 09:52:58 pm »
Which three?  The first, "Agent of Change", "Conflict of Honors" and "Carpe Diem"?

Yes, I mentioned them in the post right above, so I didn't repeat them. What's next?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2011, 10:07:33 pm »
Up to you; chronologically, "Plan B", but they are published seriously out of order.
You might enjoy learning how Daav & Er Thom got their lifemates, in the omnibus "Pilot's Choice", and how/why Daav left, with "Mouse and Dragon"

You could go back to Jela and Cantra with the Crystal Duology.
You could read the omnibuses of (some not Liaden(TM) ) stories in The Liaden Companions, Volumes I & II, you could read "Balance of Trade" which comes at some indefinite period between "Crystal Dragon/Crystal Soldier" and "Pilot's Choice". 

After "Plan B" comes "I Dare" and "Fledgling" and "Saltation" and "Ghost Ship".
"Kin Ties" at their "Splinter Universe" tells a bit about aftermaths of "I Dare."

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2011, 09:05:28 am »
I prefer things in chronological order. I read the Vorkosigan saga that way, too. So maybe I should go back in time? Can you tell me the order chronologically? I put off reading the Vorkosigan series for way too long because I could never figure it out. Plus I was confused by the omnibus edition titles, as well. I see the same thing here :) I like the omnibus editions, though.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2011, 10:24:41 am »
Very earliest is the Crystal duology.  Then Balance of Trade.
The chapbooks/companion volumes contain stories from all across the time frame.
Then Pilot's Choice, & then Mouse & Dragon.
The three you've read.
Plan B
I Dare
(Fledgling takes place at the same time, but elsewhere from the initial 3 you read)
Saltation takes place at the end of "Carpe Diem and into Plan B & I Dare, ending at about the exact same moment.
Ghost Ship is the next full volume in that time frame; some of the companion short stories are in the same time frame.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2011, 09:47:42 am »
Splinter Universe now has short story Guaranteed Delivery up!

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2011, 12:21:09 pm »
I finished Plan B this week and didn't really like it. I understand keeping track of all of the various characters can be challenging, but it seemed so piecemeal. I lost track of "where" in time the different characters were. So when the Clutch is searching for Val Con while in the new Junta office, is this when Val Con is still on the interdicted world or when they've left to Miri's family's planet? That's just one example. And the completely abrupt switch in Miri from nervous to meet her Liaden family to all of a sudden with no explanation she's now the Captain of the Gryfalks? And maybe I was confused about the Yxtring Explorer being somehow related to Korval because I hadn't read Jela's books yet, but it was very confusing how that could be. And then there was the seemingly complete lull in fighting the Yxtring for chapters and chapters. And lastly, I *could not* keep track of the technical details regarding the Dutiful Passage tribulations regarding the sabotage. I'm generally good at keeping up with timelines, etc., but I ended up skimming through the second half of the book. I'll still try the next one up, but I'll just buy that next book instead of several at once.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2011, 12:34:25 pm »
How strange. I never had any trouble following the time lines and such in Plan B.  I had not read Jelas books beforehand either, but I had read the previous books over a long time and done several rereadings too so maybe that gave me an advantage. Or perhaps the "logic" of it just makes more sense to my mind.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2011, 12:36:40 pm »
Here is some info for you.

1.  Yes, Edger & Sheather were negotiating with the Juntavas while Val Con & Miri were on Zhena Trelu's farm.  They were there several months.
2.  Miri's back story is that she was raised on Surebleak, and among other things, her father beat her mother until she threw him out.  After that, (and he'd injured her to the point she was dying by inches) he tried to sell Miri to a white slaver.  "Family" scares the crud out of her, especially Liaden family, since she's had almost nothing to do with Liadens until she ran into Val Con.  Now, through the sleep learning, she has some idea what the melanti' thing is, and she was terrified she'd not only show herself without "honor", but spoil Val Con's status as well.
Being a mercenary?  Pshh!  She's done that since she was 14!  Half her life, pretty much.  The things she's learned in the (roughly) year since she met Val Con, combined with the earlier experience mean she is okay with a "military" situation.
3. Beautiful is not genetically related to Jela, & thus the Korval clan.  Jela was supposed to be sterile, he was "designed" that way.  The Tree (Jelaza Kazone) fed him a seed pod (or two or three...) that changed that, manipulated him & Cantra's biology to get a child from them.  However, Jela was in a troop that was the direct ancestor of that in which Beautiful was raised/trained/lived.  He's a "founding father" like George Washington for the USA.  We don't (most of us) claim blood relationship with him, but we follow (try to...) his examples, his ideals.  He's a hero.
4.  You don't really need to understand everything about the Dutiful Passage's sabotage.  Just know that there was a weapon system they picked up & started to integrate to the ship, but found mini-bombs fastened to it a lot of places, with booby traps.  They found a way to get it untangled from their wiring & out an airlock, with it sandwiched between layers of shields so it didn't either blow up the ship or potentially blow up anyone near them when they came out to normal space.  The "fleas" the Yxtrang disposed can be considered as something like a mine field, with potentially magnetic type attraction to ships that don't have Yxtrang IFF beacons.

Does that help?

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2011, 01:19:02 pm »

I had already understood about half of what you described, Patti.  Your answer about Beautiful and the history with Jela answered that question for the most part. I understand that Miri was a mercenary (it's quite clearly written), but it didn't make logical sense to me why she would be chosen as Captain instead of someone who was currently within the Gryfalks as a mercenary. She's been gone for at least a year, almost two (if not longer), so even though the regular captain was off-planet, I didn't see her as the only choice for the captaincy. And beyond that, there was NO description of that choice/process in the book. One moment she's meeting her Liaden family (I understood that part) and the next she's this incredible super-captain. No transition whatsoever. And for the sabotage of the Dutiful Passage, you just made my point. Why go through all of the technical details (boring and difficult-to-follow details) when your simple description would've sufficed? Mostly, anyway. It was just overkill - long and drawn-out and boring overkill. the pacing was just "off" for me. It could've used some judicious editing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2011, 01:48:05 pm »
On the captaincy, the mercenaries have their own troop, & Jason is taking care of captaining it, with existing subordinate officers.  Miri is captain for locals and left behind mercs from other groups, cut off from their units.

On the sabotage... boy, do NOT go near any of the David Weber Honor Harrington books!
They were relatively succinct about it, really.  Bear in mind it also played off the sense of family & community in the Passage's crew, and allowed Priscilla's dramliz senses to be exercised as well.