Author Topic: Mercy's beliefs  (Read 1939 times)

BooRadley

• Tool Wrangler
Mercy's beliefs
« on: November 13, 2015, 09:06:14 pm »
Hi - please be kind, I'm rather new at posting.  I apologize ahead of time if this material has been discussed and answered somewhere else or if I missed some detail in one of the books.  :-[

I find Mercy's beliefs rather intriguing in Moon Called and wondered why they have not been brought up as much in the other books? Why does she have such a strong belief system?

In Moon Called she is shown attending a Sunday morning service, plus it is the strength of her belief in the lamb that keeps her safe among the vampires.

Her birth mother didn't see her often during her growing up plus the instance of the religious symbol brought very negative connotations.  There is a religious building among Bran's weres but I can't tell if it's regularly attended or not and that wouldn't tell me if Mercy ever attended it.  She's so strong-willed in her childhood that it's a wonder she would have put up with established religion, especially coming from her Walker background.

Did she struggle with her beliefs as a teen and were the deaths of her foster parents a catalyst for the changes that came in her life?

How did she grow to the point that she felt the need to go? There is mention of her vision quest in the other books and several of the latter books bring in her ability to see and interact with ghosts and spirits.  So we can understand her willingness to believe in the supernatural.

Did she see her foster parents as ghosts?  Or maybe it was the breakup with Sam and leaving Bran and the wolves when she was just 16 that unsettled her enough to start going?  When she lived with her birth mother a short time and their "cozy" little family was this when she started going to Sunday services?

Finally, has she stopped going entirely since marrying Adam?  Has the strength and love of her relationship with him been enough to discourage her from attending or does she still go?
BooRadley

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Mercy's beliefs
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 09:19:16 pm »
She only mentions going to church with her mother as a child, but that doesn't mean that her foster parents didn't take her too. Religion is something she could have also stumbled into while she was trying to find herself in college. While it isn't uncommon to lose faith during the young adult years, it is also not uncommon to gain or increase in faith.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 09:46:17 pm »
She mentioned going to church when Christie came to stay, too.
"Plan 'A' is to ask the ogre to change into a mouse. I eat the evidence, no muss, no fuss, no body" said Puss-in-Boots as he screwed the silencer onto his HK Mk 23, "Plan 'B' gets messy."
~Law Dog

pondhawk

• Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 02:01:27 pm »
Mercy may not mention going to church simply because it is such a normal part of her routine that she doesn't think to remark on it. A person's spiritual beliefs tend to be separate from their personal relationships, unless they belong to the insular kind of religious community that discourages outside relationships. Most people do not replace spiritual relationships with personal ones, or vice versa. They are separate aspects of personality, though certainly they can affect each other.

With regard to Bran's weres, everyone in town knows about weres, but not everyone is a were. Weres in general are a subset of the general population, so I would expect some to have deep spiritual beliefs and some less so or not at all, as with any other random group of humans.

I have gone to church for most of my life, except for the period of young adulthood when I was looking for a church more reflective of my belief system. I can tell you from personal experience that organized religion is full to the brim with strong-willed people. That's part of what can make it so oppressive when those people get the idea that religion is about sex rather than about charity toward others. It's also what can make it a strong force for helping others, when charity is the moving principle.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 05:38:16 pm by pondhawk »

Menolly

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 05:04:21 pm »
If I am remembering correctly, in Moon Called, Mercy or Samuel mentions that Bran makes all of his wolves wear crosses while she and Samuel are preparing to go to the seethe.  Then Mercy describes for the reader why she wears the lamb instead, but says while she was with Bran's pack, she wore a cross as well.  This has always left me with the impression that Bran's pack in general are church going.  Of course, the introduction of Asil counters that a little, as I am sure Asil would not be caught ever wearing a cross.

I believe growing up mostly with church goers is why Mercy is a little uncomfortable with Adam being angry with G-d.  But I expect Patty will feed us more details in to that aspect of their relationship as time goes on.

maydayp

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 08:43:58 pm »
I think the biggest reason we don't hear about it more is that nothing big has happened on most Sundays, so they don't get page time. Though her church and or pastor is mentioned in the book after iron kissed, the book after silver born, and in the latest book (iirc) at the very least.

And just because you believe in (a) god, doesn't mean you are going to follow all the practices espoused by one or more of the branches of it. Mercy goes to a nondenominational branch, which might mean that it has even less tenants then most. (also lots of Christians don't pray at every meal, or follow practices seen as "things Christians do")

I'm going to side with the "her beliefs are such a part of her she just doesn't think about them" line of thinking for everything else.