Author Topic: [Mercy 9] Fire Touched [The Book Spoiler Thread]  (Read 23888 times)

BillG

• Pack Member
Re: [Mercy 9] Fire Touched [The Book Spoiler Thread]
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2016, 03:10:30 am »
And to toss in a question on another character's return and possible continuing involvement, how 'bout that Baba Yaga?
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

Asgen

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2016, 03:47:37 pm »
I'd be interested to see what consequences occur because Widow Queen broke her word and the walking stick sacrificed itself. We've seen what happens when something similar goes down in Hunting Ground. Plus, with both Baba Yaga and Coyote involved, who knows what rules will be broken or reshaped.

I anticipate that we'll see it come back, but different somehow.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2016, 04:19:49 pm »
Maybe, I don't know enough Russian literature. I had not pictured Baba Yaga as a trickster. ??? Her way of helping does sound like a tricksters. :D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2016, 06:14:44 pm »
Why, oh, why didn't Mercy give Izzy's mom Christie's name and phone number?
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2016, 07:25:56 pm »
 LOL

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2016, 07:44:18 pm »
She needs to do that before Christie moves back to Oregon.

Asgen

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2016, 07:52:48 pm »
I'm not sure if it were me that I would give Izzy's mom Christy's number. It would just give her an excuse to be even more annoying.

In honor of Aiden, we're watching Firestarter tonight.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2016, 08:11:38 pm »
I'm going over to the "strange things that pop into your mind" thread for "who would YOU sic an Intrasity  marketer onto speculations.

zuzanna

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2016, 06:40:00 pm »
Most awesome cover of our girl ever. But, say it isn't so: my favorite supporting character dies heroically, stabbing a nasty fae who is about to kill Mercy. The mercyverse won't be the same without him, and I hope Ms. Briggs will resurrect him, perhaps with the help of Coyote and Baba Yaga, who are both proficient at bringing back the dead. His loyalty to Mercy deserves better.
Baba Yaga is a delight in this book, full of great zingers, and I hope, now that she has left Russia for the Tri-cities and a career in internet marketing, that she sticks around.

Moonbeam

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2016, 10:22:10 pm »
So I noticed that Mercy doesn't transform into her coyote form at all this book. Is this the first time she doesn't transform at all in a novel?
Yeah, I noticed that right away. I think it may be the first book when she does not change at all.

Aside from that, I enjoyed the book and thought it was well done. Good job on it!

pondhawk

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2016, 07:09:56 am »
Now I have to go back and reread Margaret's story.

I love seeing the continued negotiations between Mercy and Adam on protection vs. independence.

MelissaDale

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2016, 10:15:06 pm »
I just finished the book and loved it!  I did feel like there were a lot of smaller intense conflicts going on that are probably meant to spawn other plots for books.  Everyone is already fixating on the walking stick coming back some how, but I think there is going to be some fallout in a later book from the pastor of Mercy's church.  I think it's time she finds a new church...Also, I think baby fever is going to strike soon.  If Mercy and Adam have discussed it as was hinted at near the end of the book, its about time they have a little coywolf pup. Or maybe a litter...Can you imagine Mercy and Adam being tormented by 3 or 4 little trickster coywolves???

I can see Sherwood coming back as a more prominent character with a story that is more Bran focused too. 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2016, 10:23:29 pm »
Yes, I'm with you.  Enough with the walking stick, and the pastor is going to be a problem, although the guy he was counseling may be an ally.  I don't think the baby issue is going to be immediate, not with the sanctuary thing and potential challenges now that they're a 'rogue' pack.
In fact, with regard to that last, it's a good thing Cantrip doesn't know about Bran & the structure of the North American packs, they'd possibly have another try at co-opting Our pack.

mellinatre

• Mechanic
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2016, 04:15:03 am »
I think that the baby factor is still a long way coming...it seems not the right moment neither politically nor I think they have the right degree of security to try to have a baby but I also think that when the time will come it will be more by accident like some kind of magic boom that make sure Marcy become pregnant and keep out of their hands the final decision about the right time to try!

I want more info about Zack and Sherwood and I think that a future book have a big probability to be about a foe of one of this two characters pasts....Zack seem to have had a tormentor or something like that ages ago, Sherwood surely also have had big problems to become a slave of withces like that for God only know how long....so for me this two nebulose pasts can be the right fundation for a book story...like put that and the sure challanges of Adam authority from other alphas (one that can maybe have been the termentor of Zack or traitor for Sherwood)

about the walkingstick sorry but it was really loved, and I am not sure about other books etc but for me it was the very 1st time that I as a reader become so attacched to a "thing" in any kind of series and I have found it so interesting and innovative...usually things don't move me when they are broken...it have become little by little one of the real character that made me smile every time it almost strike Adam...it were little things that have made it important and so vivid for me

the pastor should only be greatful but probably a big anti sups campaign will be his way to deal  >:(

what about Lucia and Joel? I was so happy to see them live with Mercy and Adam...and the dog also poor thing already so loyal....not sure how things are with Medea but I love the addittion of this 3 new members....I hope they will stay at the house for a while

and last but absolutely not least Honey is doing pretty fine and I can't wait to see a face to face between Adam's pack and some traditional ones...you know about how it's pack is so full of strange and not "proper" wolf members...it will be a lot of fun to see how some prim and proper alphas will be shocked to see Adam's pack or to finally see Mercy attend one of their conclave as an alpha mate

I finally get why Patricia Briggs have not a end game with Mecy's adventures...I am not an author and can think on the top of my head at at least another 10 books based only on what she have wrote till now  ^____^

so happy about that and sorry for repeat that but for me find a 9th book on a serie still so good and well done is amazing....I want to read what come next and I am waiting impatiently already for book n° 10

YuleRule

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2016, 03:11:26 pm »
So on the topic of the walking stick, I was randomly rereading the end of Night Broken and:
I held out the walking stick. “Here. Coyote said he taught it a few things.”

Beauclaire looked at me. “I don’t know Coyote,” he said. “Maybe I will have to remedy that.”

Adam’s lips curled up in satisfaction. “I would pay money,” he said.

Beauclaire, who still hadn’t reached for the walking stick, narrowed his eyes at my mate.

“Oh?”

“You never get quite what you expect from Coyote,” I told him. “He was amazingly helpful this time, so I expect that something horrible will happen to us in the near future.” I wished I hadn’t said that as soon as the words left my mouth. I already knew that something horrible was coming. I wiggled the walking stick. “Would you take this already?”

“Of your free will,” he said.

I rolled my eyes as I repeated the phrase. “Of my own free will, I give you this walking stick”—and I kept going, though that was the end of the usual phrase I’d spoken every time I’d tried to give the walking stick back to a fae—“fashioned by Lugh, woken by the oakman, and changed by blood, changed by death, changed by spirit. Change comes to all things until the greatest change, which is death. This I entrust to your care.”

I tried to pretend that I’d intended to say all that from the very beginning, tried to ignore the way the walking stick was warmer than it should be in my hands and felt almost eager, as if it wanted to go to Lugh’s son. Adam knew I was acting, I could tell because the pressure of his hand on my back changed. Other than a sharp look, Beauclaire didn’t seem to have heard anything he wasn’t expecting.

"Change comes to all things until the greatest change, which is death." Foreshadowing, anyone?
Please Check These Out!