Author Topic: Preying for Mercy  (Read 13873 times)

BlackCat13

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Preying for Mercy
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 10:10:57 pm »
The composition is good, the execution is technically of great quality but . . . it looks like they found and older, tired, crack-addicted version of Mercy to pose as the model. 
*Rolling On The Floor Laughing Hysterically* ;D

I'll still buy anything and everything done by Patricia Briggs (paperback, hardcover, book-sets, audio-books, comics!), but I have to agree (and chuckle at the verb-age) none-the-less. ^_^

rolange

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 08:15:49 am »
The cover's okay but I prefer the US covers. Am I in the minority in saying I don't like the tattoos? I don't mind one or two, but the full arm thing, to me, is just ugly. Also have to wonder what it looks like when the person ages, skin sags and wrinkles...ugh.

Lyranda

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 12:45:30 pm »
I too prefer the US covers, they are well depicted and look excellent.  This one is ok, just a little subpar to what I am used to when thinking of Mercy covers.

munkee

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 06:42:57 am »
I agree, I mean, it's great for all those wanting a hardcover for this to be produced, but ugh. I just can't get over the cover. If I had no idea what the story was about, this cover certianly wouldn't intreage (sp?) me.  I'd be like, "oh, how....ooh look, the clearance table!" 
AH well, can't be a perfect world, eh?

munkee

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 06:44:46 am »
HEY COOL! I've moved up to tinker now... ;D

butterflydreamer

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 07:37:57 pm »
I was looking through my son's game informer magazine, anbd I saw an ad for a science fiction book club. Onje of the selections was for a hard cover book called Preying for Mercy by Patricia briggs. I am not sure if this is a special edition for this club only, or if its a copy of all the books in the series so far. The cover has Mercy standing alone, full body shot with her hands crossed in front of her. Does any one know about this? I want to order it, but have no further info.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 07:42:41 pm »
Look here for the answer.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

michellebaby

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 01:04:13 pm »
Ehh Im not liking that cover either. Its a good illustration on its own but I dont think it represents Mercy at all :(

"A three-book omnibus—including Moon Called; Blood Bound; Iron Kissed—in the bestselling Mercy Thompson series of supernatural thrillers, about a Native American] car mechanic who can change into a coyote at will."

When you look at this cover you dont see "native american" at all. At least give her the tanned skin thats described in the book. I think the orginal artist for the US covers does a better job of portraying Mercy as somewhat mixed heritage looking. Well I think the Blood bound and Iron Kiss covers showed that pretty good. :-\ But whatever, every cover is not consistant anyways :P

octopippo

• Tool Wrangler
  • to la lune i bay, i howl, i sing
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 02:55:46 am »
 ??? i dont know whats up with the omnibus cover...not cool. the blood bound mercy is the prettiest but the moon called mercy has the most intrigueing face for me.

i dont know about the rest of you, but i totally judge a book by its cover. that being said i wouldn't have purchased the series if the omnibus was what i saw at the store.

the whole "dont judge a book by its cover" thing probably only really counted back when most books were leather-bound and looked beaten and ratty, which was probably the result of having it constantly read because the story was so awesome!!! that isn't the case nowadays. most books aren't leather-bound and we live in a world where product image is important. you wouldn't buy a "mr. clean" product if he was an unkempt fat guy with pit stains. would you??
^_^

jenglows

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 03:47:53 pm »
the omnibus covers are never cool ;)  have you seen the ones from the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Series? The books have great art and the sci-fi club omnibus versions are very,very cheesy. 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 05:51:08 pm »
Speaking from 35 years experience with them, that's SOP for them.  They're basically counting on their being sold to people who want a lasting copy of favorites they already know and love.  The binding is good, it's just cheap art, to save money for the bindings, which I'm more interested in anyway.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

energyman1038

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 06:55:43 pm »
Dear Patty,
I am new in this message board, and also just recently bought your book, Preying for Mercy. I have read the first story, and I am nearly done with the second story.
My question is about the picture of Mercy on the front cover. Did the artist who created this picture use a real model or did he or she pull it out of his or her mind? She looks like a real person who has her own distintive look, which is beautiful. I jusr wanted to know.
Thank you for answering this question.
Jerry aka energyman1038