Author Topic: Wen Spencer - Tinker & Wolf Who Rules  (Read 99693 times)

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
Re: Wen Spencer - Tinker & Wolf Who Rules
« Reply #240 on: January 17, 2017, 02:04:11 am »
I enjoyed it, but What happened to the Grigori?  She was there to tell him to use the 9 herb stuff, then she was gone.

I suspect that's their standard procedure when meeting a human that sees them. They'd meet again; I hope we get to read it.
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2017, 05:25:46 am »
My impression is that it eventually intersects with the Black Wolves.

Getting out, yeah, but she wanted to talk to the bear!
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2017, 12:48:13 pm »
Perhaps it might eventually. But she has said it is just a story set in the same world.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2017, 02:37:59 pm »
She just answered the question on Facebook.

I was asked a question on twitter. I couldn't answer in 140 characters or less. I'm answering here.
The question was "where did angel go at end."
The answer "don't look in the mouths of gift horses" I guess won't apply. Sigh.
I was asked to write this story in a little over a month. It comes out to 17,000 words. It needed to tie into a convoluted novel without spoiling said novel. It also needed to be stand alone enough to be satisfactory but leave room for me to do more with these characters (because I want to do more.) That's a tall order for 30 days at the height of holiday season.
It is not stated outright but Dugan meets the bear the weekend prior to Halloween. The second meeting is the day after Joshua meets Decker. At this point, Elise is in Utica with Seth. (I can't say much more without giving away plot points.) Hence the newspaper headlines of "Utica Wolf Hunt continues" on the Monday paper.
I finished the story on Tuesday with a Wednesday Deadline. Thursday we did copyedits. Sunday it went live.
The angel walked out with Dugan and the Bear. I didn't write "she left" at any point as the POV zooms in tight on Dugan as he has MAJOR mind shift. I indicate that he zones out while thinking "OMG, there ARE wolves at Charlottesville" by having him petting the bear without realizing what he's doing. Dugan and the bear say their two lines after that. I don't show them actually walking through the school. I didn't realize that the angel "disappears" until the story had already gone up. I debated contacting my editors with a sentence to add in that would clarify that she's still standing there as the last two lines of the story were spoken, but then I thought "wtf, if anyone notices that she's not mentioned, they'll apply the mental work to figure out that she didn't leave and thus must be standing there without saying anything."
I was wrong.
And upon more consideration, I decided I don't want to add in more. It would break the flow of the story for her to go "I'm out of here" and walk away. Also it would break the flow of the story to say "Hey guys, chill, this magic I'm projecting that makes me invisible will also cover you too." Imagine her standing there, silently laughing at Dugan freaking out.
And gift horses, dude.
(And of course, Facebook decided it wanted to be difficult about giving me an url to put on twitter. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.)

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #244 on: January 18, 2017, 02:12:20 am »
Perhaps it might eventually. But she has said it is just a story set in the same world.

But we can hope. Can you imagine Dugan meeting Joshua? LOL
Leo Buscaglia

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #245 on: January 18, 2017, 03:23:59 am »
LOL  That would be fun. And perhaps now that he is not constantly questioning his sanity and his perseptions of the world he might feel a bit more confident and actually go to school with all the wolves.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #246 on: January 18, 2017, 05:37:02 am »
*nods* Take that scholarship and make side money with the photography.
Although given how strong his sight is, he's apt to get sucked further into the monster-fighting world.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #247 on: January 18, 2017, 07:06:51 am »
True, but he the need to get a roof over his head and feed himself will need to be met as well. Monster-fighting does not seem to be a paying job just yet anyway. Except for the Gregori, they seem to be funded somehow.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #248 on: January 21, 2017, 12:05:39 pm »
Just thought of something.
Maybe the Grigori went away because she got a look at the bear, recognized "no problem" and booked, since the wasp-thing, Dr. Creepy, was dealt with?

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #249 on: January 22, 2017, 01:12:57 am »
Just thought of something.
Maybe the Grigori went away because she got a look at the bear, recognized "no problem" and booked, since the wasp-thing, Dr. Creepy, was dealt with?

Definitely possible. She took one last look around, dusted off her hands in a "My work here is done" style, and poofs.
Leo Buscaglia

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #250 on: February 01, 2017, 07:17:40 pm »
http://www.baen.com/contests-feb2017        Wen Spencer’s latest, The Black Wolves of Boston, comes out in hardcover this month and we’re so excited here at the Baen offices, we’re howling at the moon. We must have a bit of full moon fever, because we’re making it incredibly easy to enter this month’s contest. Just drop us an email to be entered into our random drawing. The winner will receive a copy of The Black Wolves of Boston, signed by Wen Spencer.

Send your entry to contest@baen.com no later than February 20th. Put “February Contest” in the subject field and please remember to include your name! One entry per person, please. Entries become property of Baen Books and may be published as part of the winner announcement. Winner will be selected at random from all qualifying entries.

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #251 on: February 02, 2017, 12:59:27 am »
Cool. Thanks for the heads-up.
Leo Buscaglia

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #252 on: March 10, 2017, 07:27:33 pm »
Just finished Black Wolves and loved it.  The humor, characters and action are great.  I hope this isn't a stand alone.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #253 on: March 10, 2017, 10:31:45 pm »
I know she has already written a short story in the same universe.

Suzi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #254 on: March 11, 2017, 12:01:47 am »
Just been reading black wolves of boston again and the discussion with Wonder Woman and thought Is Isiah the Milkman's? It would explain so much.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 02:23:25 am by Suzi »