Author Topic: Wen Spencer - Tinker & Wolf Who Rules  (Read 69529 times)

Thea

Wen Spencer - Tinker & Wolf Who Rules
« on: July 30, 2007, 05:50:11 am »
Tinker is the first book and Wolf Who Rules is the second book.
These are really fun books about a young woman who is a genius and the world has magic and science in a wonderful blend.
Elves, Oni, Dragons, Tengu, and Physics applied to magic.

Tinker is a really different type of main character. You will love the Elves, Wolf Who Rules and Galloping Storm Horse on Wind...

SF

• Tool Wrangler
  • Lurking in the shadows
Re: Wen Spencer - Tinker & Wolf Who Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 11:30:13 am »
Yea this is a unique main character. Im still trying to get the second book :( my library is a little slow on getting books
"Don't laugh at live dragons" - Bilbo Baggins

dlm1065

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 04:11:54 pm »
Awesome books. No telling how long till a 3rd in the series though *sigh* so obvious so many questions left to be answered that you want to know about I just hope she writes a third book.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 01:41:01 pm »
Has anyone read any of her Ukiah Oregon series? Aliens and variations on werewolves. Good stuff.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Thea

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 07:23:33 am »
Yes, I liked the Ukiah stories (I never finished the last one though)
it was a GREAT idea for scifi

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 10:20:58 am »
I devoured Tinker! I think I must've read it three times in two weeks. Then I was at the bookstore the very first day that Wolf Who Rules was released. I just love those books. I also loved her Ukiah Oregon series, too. I do believe that is one original series!
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

AnemicOak

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 12:22:54 pm »
Absolutely loved both Tinker and Wolf Who Rules.  It'd be great if she write more in the series.

I have the first Ukiah Oregon book in my TBR pile, but haven't gotten to it yet.  Everyone tells me they're really good too though.

She has a new book, Endless Blue, coming out in December that sounds interesting.

~Brian

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 10:38:07 am »
I love Tinker and I am waiting till Wolf who Rules is out in paperback.

But I found the blurb to Endless Blue from Wen's site  :)

http://www.wenspencer.com/
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 10:41:22 am »
I wnet out looking, but took me a couple of stores to find her.  (none in the library here yet)  I found Tinker and Bitter Watter (Ukiah Oregon).  I really liked both.   Thanks guys!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 07:46:31 pm »
Current theory is that there won't be a 3rd Tinker book, although it's open to change.  The other forum I go to says she's tired of writing in that world, it's too hard to go back to the same one, where the rules are set in cement.
I really adore the Ukiah series, bought a 2nd copy of the first when I'd lent it out & needed to read it again (about the 4th time).

Have you read "A Brother's Price"?  I've a sister whimpering for a 2nd book in that world.  1 male to 10+ females, cloistered like a sultan's harem girls...
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

evaki

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 06:16:23 pm »
Current theory is that there won't be a 3rd Tinker book, although it's open to change.  The other forum I go to says she's tired of writing in that world, it's too hard to go back to the same one, where the rules are set in cement.

That would be a real shame.  I loved Tinker and WWWR.  Did WS actually give an interview and talk about the Tinker series?  Or are people speculating because she has taken so long and finished another book (Endless Blue) instead of picking up with the series?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 10:34:17 pm »
I can't say for certain, Evaki.  I'm repeating what I remember from the 'Tinkers Dam' site on the Baen's Bar forum.  This is what people who have met her at cons or have (presumably) some other in with her say, for the most part, although I believe I remember her having posted there at least once herself.  In fact, if you went over there & poked around, you might find some of my babbling in various sub threads.
I'm all for more of 'em, o'course.  But I'm really more of an affecinado of Ukiah & co.  It cracked me up that the dates in the first one were just a couple of years ahead of the publication date.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

evaki

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 05:32:11 pm »
Patti, Thanks for the heads up and the pointer towards Tinker's Dam.  I love finding forums dedicated to books I like.  Hence the reason I came here to scope out the forums.  ;)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 08:53:28 pm »
I really enjoyed the Ukiah books. Has anyone heard whether or not Wen is writing more? It just seems like she's stopped with that series.  :-\
Hurog Means Dragon.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 08:02:16 am »
I really enjoyed the Ukiah books. Has anyone heard whether or not Wen is writing more? It just seems like she's stopped with that series.  :-\

I recall reading that she's not ruling it out, but that she wanted to write in some other worlds, first. So it's a possibility, but no plans as yet.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)