Author Topic: What? I might like that... Releases that pique your interest  (Read 20030 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
What? I might like that... Releases that pique your interest
« on: April 07, 2014, 10:01:00 am »
http://eleanoranders.wordpress.com/2014/04/05/book-review-me-and-murder-she-wrote-by-peter-s-fischer/
I watched many of the mysteries mentioned in this review, and don't remember the death of Mrs. Columbo - played, if any of you remember that far back - by Kate Mulgrew, who went on to play Captain Katherine Janeway of "Star Trek: Voyager".
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
Re: What? I might like that... Releases that pique your interest
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 10:48:03 pm »
The author of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series massively changes gears, and joins John Scalzi in writing a Star Trek spoof. Except, by the sound of things, less meta. From the book's official description: "These are the voyages of the starship A.S.F. Willful Child. Its ongoing mission: to seek out strange new worlds on which to plant the Terran flag, to subjugate and if necessary obliterate new life-forms, to boldly blow the..." Basically, it's the Mirror Universe version of Kirk and his crew, except more bumbling.

From Io9

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 01:36:01 pm »
Very interesting that. :)

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 01:03:33 pm »
http://rachelmanija.livejournal.com/1162254.html   "It's the "Yes Gay YA" book. But you could just as easily call it "The one with the telekinetic squirrels," or "The X-Men in the post-apocalyptic Wild West," or "The one where the sheriff is super-strong, the doctor can speed up time, and the plant life is out to get you."" ~ from the beginning of the article/blog.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 01:08:56 pm »
I usually like Sherwood Smith's work. :)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 11:31:28 am »
https://www.facebook.com/wen.spencer

Especially since I'm (slowly) going back through the first 3 or 4 volumes in the series.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 12:14:39 am »
Dragons at Crumbling Castle: And Other Tales by Terry Pratchett, Mark Beech
Dragons at Crumbling Castle: And Other Tales by Terry Pratchett, Mark Beech
img2.imagesbn.com

What it’s about: This never-before-published collection of fourteen funny and inventive tales by acclaimed author Sir Terry Pratchett features a memorable cast of inept wizards, sensible heroes, and unusually adventuresome tortoises.

Including more than one hundred black-and-white illustrations, the appealingly designed book celebrates Pratchett’s inimitable wordplay and irreverent approach to the conventions of storytelling.

These accessible and mischievous tales are an ideal introduction for young readers to this beloved author. Established fans of Pratchett’s work will savor the playful presentation of the themes and ideas that inform his best-selling novels.

Why you should buy it: A collection of funny short stories from Terry Pratchett? Sign us up.

Release date: 2/3/2015
Sword by Amy Bai
d.gr-assets.com

What it’s about: For over a thousand years the kingdom of Lardan has been at peace: isolated from the world, safe from the wars of its neighbors, slowly forgetting the wild and deadly magic of its origins. Now the deepest truths of the past and the darkest predictions for the future survive only in the verses of nursery rhymes.

For over a thousand years, some of Lardan’s fractious provinces have been biding their time.

Kyali Corwynall is the daughter of the Lord General, a child of one of the royal Houses, and the court’s only sword-wielding girl. She has known for all of her sixteen years what the future holds for her—politics and duty, the management of a House, and protecting her best friend, the princess and presumed heir to the throne. But one day an old nursery rhyme begins to come true, an ancient magic wakes, and the future changes for everyone. In the space of a single night her entire life unravels into violence and chaos. Now Kyali must find a way to master the magic her people have left behind, or watch her world—and her closest friends—fall to a war older than the kingdom itself.

Why you should buy it: This looks like an awesome fantasy tale featuring a female lead who kicks ass. Color us excited.

Release date: 2/10/2015
The Very Best of Kate Elliott by Kate Elliott
The Very Best of Kate Elliott by Kate Elliott
img1.imagesbn.com

What it’s about: Strong heroines and riveting storytelling are the hallmark of groundbreaking fantasy author Kate Elliott (Crown of Stars, Crossroads). Elliott is a highly-compelling voice in genre fiction, an innovative author of historically-based narratives set in imaginary worlds. This first, retrospective collection of her short fiction is the essential guide to Elliott’s shorter works. Here her bold adventuresses, complex quests, noble sacrifices, and hard-won victories shine in classic, compact legends.

In “The Memory of Peace,” a girl’s powerful emotions rouse the magic of a city devastated by war. Meeting in “The Queen’s Garden,” two princesses unite to protect their kingdom from the blind ambition of their corrupted father. While “Riding the Shore of the River of Death” a chieftain’s daughter finds an unlikely ally on her path to self-determination.

Elliott’s many readers, as well as fantasy fans in search of powerful stories featuring well-drawn female characters, will revel in this unique gathering of truly memorable tales.

Why you should buy it: Elliott is known for her fantastic stories, and now, it looks like a lot of her short fiction is being collected into one outstanding volume.

Release date: 2/10/2015
Finn Fancy Necromancy by Randy Henderson
img1.imagesbn.com

What it’s about: Finn Gramaraye was framed for the crime of dark necromancy at the age of 15, and exiled to the Other Realm for twenty five years. But now that he’s free, someone—probably the same someone—is trying to get him sent back. Finn has only a few days to discover who is so desperate to keep him out of the mortal world, and find evidence to prove it to the Arcane Enforcers. They are going to be very hard to convince, since he’s already been convicted of trying to kill someone with dark magic.

But Finn has his family: His brother Mort who is running the family necrotorium business now, his brother Pete who believes he’s a werewolf, though he is not, and his sister Samantha who is, unfortunately, allergic to magic. And he’s got Zeke, a fellow exile and former enforcer, who doesn’t really believe in Finn’s innocence but is willing to follow along in hopes of getting his old job back.

Why you should buy it: This book looks like quite a bit of fun, and it’s topped with one outstanding cover.

Release date: 2/24/2015
Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey
img2.imagesbn.com

What it’s about: A young woman allies with magnificent dragons in the first book in the Harper Hall trilogy, set within science fiction legend Anne McCaffrey’s beloved and bestselling Dragonriders of Pern series.

Every two hundred years or so, on the planet colony of Pern, shimmering Threads fall from space, raining death. Yet the great dragons of Pern, mounted by the stalwart dragonriders, scour the skies with fire to destroy the deadly Threads and save the planet.

But it was not Threadfall that made young Menolly unhappy. It was her father who betrayed her ambition to be a harper, who thwarted her love of music, because she was a woman. Menolly had no choice but to run away. When she came upon a group of fire lizards—wild and smaller relatives of the fire-breathing dragons—she let her music swirl around them. She taught nine of them to sing. And suddenly Menolly was no longer alone—she was Mistress of Music, and Ward of the dazzling fire dragons.

Forbidden by her father to indulge in music in any way, a girl on the planet Pern runs away, taking shelter with the planet’s fire lizards who, along with her music, open a new life for her.

Why you should buy it: Saga Press is bringing McCaffrey’s works back to print with a new look. These are some classic novels that really deserve a wide readership.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 05:42:48 pm »
Darn it. Now I have another Want.

Pee Wee

• Tinker
  • I would if I could, but I can't ;-)
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 10:25:35 pm »
So do I.
Better to build a bad fence than waisting time with silly housework, but better you have a clean house, than a bad fence.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 05:23:00 am »
Can't. Wait.