Author Topic: Frost Burned in German?  (Read 3572 times)

Thirrin

• Tool Wrangler
Frost Burned in German?
« on: December 14, 2013, 12:38:06 pm »
Hi,
at first I’d like to apologize for my English, cause it is not my first language. And this is the reason why I had to write this letter. My friend an me, we live in Germany and we are huge fans of the „Mercy Thomsen“- and the „Alpha & Omega“-book series. We are really enthusiastic by the universe you’ve created.
But now we have a Problem here. When the newest Mercy-book „Frost burned“ was released in March, we waited patiently for the Heyne publisher to do the translation into german, but nothing happend. I sent a letter with a request, but the answer was devastating. They won’t translate it. After six books they decided not to translate the seventh. Can you believe that?
That’s why we would like to ask you a favour. Is there something you can do about that? Can you, as an author, ask them why they did this? Or is it possible to convert another publisher for the translation? We don’t need it nessessarily as a printed version. Ebook would do, too.
I know it is a lot we are asking for, but we depend on the translation. This is not our language, as I said (and as you might have noticed). Maybe I could read it in english, and maybe I could follow the story, barely, but it is no fun if you unterstand only every second word. I’m quite sure my friend an me, we are not the only ones waiting for the new book.
It’s a shame that german readers don’t have the chance to enjoy more future Mercy Books, and all because of the publisher.
We would be thrilled by an answer, and we understand if you can’t help with the problem, but nethertheless we felt the urge to complain about the non-release of your books in Germany.

sincerely yours
Rabea and Yvonne
Hallo,
Zu allererst möchte ich mich gleich mal für mein Englisch entschuldigen, denn leider ist mein Englisch nicht so gut. Was auch der Grund meines Briefes ist. Ich und  meine Freundin sind riesige Fans ihrer Mercy Thomsen und Alpha & Omega Reihe.  Wir sind wirklich begeistert von dem Universum  dass sie erschaffen haben. Nur haben wir jetzt ein kleines Problem. Nachdem sie im März ihr neues Mercy Buch "Frost Burned" herausgebracht haben, haben wir hier in Deutschland geduldig gewartet, das der Heyne Verlag das Buch übersetzen würde, aber nichts geschah. Was uns dazu veranlasste einmal nachzufragen und ihre Antwort war niederschmettert. Sie haben nicht mehr vor es zu übersetzten.
Wir haben jetzt eine Bitte an sie. Könnten sie vielleicht als Autorin, mal nachfragen warum? Oder erreichen das vielleicht ein anderer Verlag es übersetzt. Wenn vielleicht auch nicht in Buchform, dann vielleicht nur als E-Book. Denn wie ich am Anfang schon erwähnte, ist unser englisch nicht so gut, das wir es im Original lesen könnten und leider auf die deutschen Übersetzungen angewiesen sind. Und ich bzw. ich bin mir sicher das ich und meine Freundin nicht die einzigen sind, die auf die Fortsetzung in Deutsch warten. Es wäre wirklich sehr schade, wenn wir in Deutschland, wegen der Willkür eines Verlages nicht mehr in den Genuss ihrer Bücher kommen würden.
Über eine Antwort  würde wir uns freuen. Auch wenn sie da vielleicht nichts machen können, so wollten wir ihnen doch einmal unser Leid über das Nichterscheinen ihrer Bücher in Deutschland klagen.

Gruß
Rabea und Yvonne

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Re: Frost Burned in German?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 10:35:55 pm »
Rabea and Yvonne,
Your English is much better than my German! 

Sadly, we're facing the same problem from our end.  Patty is selling pretty well in England and France, but Heine was apparently not happy with the sales numbers in Germany.   We got a quick note saying they were no longer publishing her books, and that was all.   We asked our foreign agent if she could get more information (thinking maybe we could help with promotion or something), but they've apparently decided that there's just not enough people buying her books.  We were told that they've quit publishing a lot of American authors.

Sadly, there's not much that we can do.  We don't have the ability to translate and publish in German without a German publisher.   All we can do is sell the rights to publish Patty's work, and if nobody wants to buy it, the game's over.   :-'

I'm sorry I don't have better news.   On the other hand, Patty and I are coming to Germany this summer!  bOuNcY

Where's my super-suit?

Thirrin

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 03:18:10 am »
Hello,

Thank you for your fast answer. I feared something like that, but still I had a little hope. It’s really sad, that Heyne has no intention to translate or publish your books anymore. But I don’t understand how the number of sales shall rise, if you can’t buy these books, because some of the older ones are sold out and are not going to get reprinted. It is really really sad, because I’m a huge fan of the book series.
But the good news is: finally my nagging worked, even if only just for me. I got it! On Christmas I got my own personal Translation of „Frost burned“ from a very dear friend, as a present.  So in the end, I had the chance to read it an I was as enthusiastic about it, as expected. I consumed it in only two days.
But now I have one more question. You wrote, that you will come to Germany this year. Is it a private trip or a reading tour? And if it’s a reading tour, do you come to Hamburg, too? And how can I learn more about the appointments?

Yours
Rabea

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 03:59:02 am »
Auf der Eingangsseite, gibt es unter dem Reiter "Patty" den Punkt "Appearances":
http://www.hurog.com/Patty/appearances.shtml

Dort werden die Termine für '14 - vermutlich - vorangekündigt werden.
Oder du folgst Patty auf der offiziellen facebook Fanseite, das dürfte wahrscheinlich der einfachste Weg sein über kommende Termine informiert zu werden:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/OfficialPatriciaBriggsfans/

--------------------------------------------------------

On the Homepage under the tab "Patty" you find the entry "Appearances":
http://www.hurog.com/Patty/appearances.shtml

Upcoming tour dates for '14 will be - presumably - be announced there.
Or you can follow Patty on the official facebook fanpage, which should be the easiest way to stay informed on coming tour dates:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/OfficialPatriciaBriggsfans/
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Thirrin

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 01:04:26 am »
Hi, vielen Dank für die Hinweise  :)