Author Topic: Rachel Caine  (Read 25106 times)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Rachel Caine
« on: January 14, 2008, 12:13:39 pm »
Has anyone read any of Rachel Caine books- she has mainly written an urban fantasy series about a weather warden called Joanne Baldwin- Weather Wardens can control the weather but they especially control huge natural disasters by using enslaved Djinns who can help them out.

Here is the first summary of the first book- Ill Wind

Joanne Baldwin is a weather warden, who can control the weather and keep it from being more chaotic and destructive than it already is. She is on the run, though, for she is accused of killing a senior warden, which she did, sort of: a thread of corruption runs through some of the most powerful wardens, one of which put a Demon Mark on her and then died. Her only hope now is to get a djinn from her old friend Lewis, who stole three of them^B from the council of the wardens many years ago. As she runs, she picks up a hitchhiker who knows things an ordinary person wouldn't, and who offers help. With djinns and other wardens, including those sent to arrest her, all giving her conflicting information, Joanne never quite knows whom to trust in this romantic escapist romp rife with danger, excitement, and even classic cars.

There are five more books out at the moment (Heat Stroke, Chill Factor, Windfall, Firestorm and Thin Air) and the 7th Gale Force will be out over the summer.

She has also written a vampire series for YA - called the Morganville Vampires -
Glass Houses is the first book

From the author of the popular Weather Warden series. Welcome to Morganville, Texas.

Just don't stay out after dark.

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation, where the popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks in the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero.

When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life. But they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.

I really love her writing - her characters, settings, dialogue is fantastic- and she is also great with writing a very fast paced and engaging plot but she does have a tendency to write in cliffhangers which is like ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh when you reach the last page ;D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Konrad

• Grease Monkey
    • My booklog
Re: Rachel Caine
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 01:06:08 pm »
I wasn't impressed by Ill Wind, but I'm giving her a second chance with Glass Houses (which I'll start reading later today).

Gwendolynn

• Tinker
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 01:39:22 pm »
I really enjoy Rachel Caine.  I've only read her first three books in the weather warden series, but they have been excellent.  They are just different enough and I was pleasantly surprised. 

LadyErehwon

• Tool Wrangler
  • No one else is going to enjoy your life for you.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 12:55:54 pm »
This is on my Author watch list.... I pick these up a few days after they're released! 

I really like how she has handled magic in her world!

Triakel

• Tinker
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 08:51:59 am »
Hey Has

I haven't read the Weather Warden-series, but I have read the new one, Morganville Vampires. I rather like that one, although I probably wouldn't rank it up with my absolute favs (like Anne Bishop, Women of the Underworld and Lady Patty's work).

/L
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government... you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Thea

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 11:23:03 am »
She is going to write another series
and I believe she is going to be on audio.
She was just part of a book group for Ill Wind at my favorite Book Group site - The Empire of the Cat
She is really nice!

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 11:56:46 am »
I didnt know her new series was going to be on audio !!!!
From her blog - I knew she was writing a spinoff series that will feature a Djinn Heroine and a Warden.
Thanks for the heads up- and also according to the blog- she may hopefully visit London later next month. I really hope she does come over a UK publisher bought up the first few books of the Weather Warden series :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

berneynator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 07:31:47 pm »
I took a long time to pick up this series- I'm not sure what made me so reluctant. That said, I picked up Ill Wind one day when I had a handy B&N giftcard. The next day I returned and got the (then) next three. I really like the pretty cover of Firestorm, which kept catching my attention and tempting me to start the series. However, the most recent book didn't catch me as much. I will still buy Gale Force, but my ardor has cooled a little. The Morganville series is sold as a teen series at my bookstore, and I agree with that rating. My opinion is that they are not nearly as good as the Weather Warden series, but still very worth reading- I have all three of the books currently out. Just my two cents.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 09:16:31 am »
There is a fantastic giveaway that Rachel is offering  to promote Feast of Fools. Not only is she giving away signed book but a Morganville bracelet, and Ipod Nano- to tell you the truth that bracelet looks cool and I think thats the real treat. Good luck to anyone entering ;D

http://rachelcaine.livejournal.com/108789.html

bebe1613

• Tool Wrangler
  • Music is my bandaid. It heals everything for me.
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 06:50:23 pm »
I started with the Morganville Vampires.... I really enjoyed the storyline and I'm looking forward Feast of Fools.... I cant imagine living in a city surrounded by vampires.....

I'm also beginning the Weather Warden series... I recently picked up Ill wind.... but its on the backburner for now.... I'm infamous for starting several books at a time... its a wonder I haven't gone crazy yet.
Some boys may break your heart, but a real man picks up the pieces, willing to love you even more.

Music is the medicine of the breaking heart.

mdauben

• Tinker
  • Sheep in Wolf's Clothing
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 06:49:08 am »
Has anyone read any of Rachel Caine books- she has mainly written an urban fantasy series about a weather warden called Joanne Baldwin-
I have read Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series.  It was enjoyable, and I will probably pick up any subsequent titles (I think the next book in the series, Gale Force, is coming out next month) but it's not quite up to the level of my favorites in the Urban Fantasy genre. 

I think it I had to point to one flaw in Ms. Caine's writing, its that she sometimes fails to take the time to properly develop significant plot threads in her stories, such that they have much less impact on me as a reader than they might otherwise (I won't mention specific examples to avoid spoilering the series for other readers).
Mike

"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful."

emmad

• Tinker
    • JDK Lodge
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 02:54:39 pm »
I just read Ill Wind and will be looking for the rest of the series in our library but suspect they've only got the first one so far lol

acread

• Tool Wrangler
  • the local mad scientist
    • AC Read Bookstore
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 02:19:55 pm »
Recently finished her Gale Force. Just when I thought the series was slowing a bit, it picked up.  :) Really like her style. Definitely read more of her.

Has anyone read the duology she had at Silhouette: Devil's Bargain and Devil's Due. They are supposed to be romance novels but they read more like mystery. And the plot is quite interesting.
I went through a phase...

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 03:10:35 pm »
I have read those books and if you can find them I highly recommend them. I agree they were more mystery than romance but the romance wasnt entirely ignored- and there was also more of a supernatural slant to the duology as well.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 10:55:50 am »
There is a great giveaway that Rachel is hosting at her livejournal for some Morganville goodies-
http://rachelcaine.livejournal.com/126215.html

Also the first couple of chapters is for book 7 of the Morganville series Carpe Corpus - Read it at your peril because it has HUGE HUMONGOUS MAMMOTH spoilers from book 6 which isnt out yet. Rachel released it because some lucky people got it early- Spoiler junkies enjoy!

http://www.rachelcaine.com/Samples/Entries/2009/7/7_Carpe_Corpus.html