Author Topic: Can witches become werewolves?  (Read 12300 times)

Holo

• Tool Wrangler
Can witches become werewolves?
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:37:11 am »
I know Bran was able to turn Charles's mother, but it was also stated that she was not a technical witch. Can witches be turned into werewolves? Do they lose their powers if they do and just become normal werewolves? Or do they have extra abilities ordinary werewolves don't have?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Can witches become werewolves?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 09:37:16 am »
If I recall, Charles had some musings on the subject in "Fair Game", about how the three most dominant/powerful werewolves known (the Cornicks, surprise, surprise) are witchborn, and how it's not coincidence, and that it's forbidden to turn those of witchblood.
So my guess would be that, like Omega qualities, the witch powers probably increase for werewolves.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 04:30:25 pm »
And in Frost Burned it says that Adam avoids reminding Elizaveta about the way wolves don't age because he doesn't want to create a situation where she'd demand he changes her.
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

big city wolf

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 07:43:15 pm »
I believe in the last book Adam says that anyone who is another kind of supernatural cannot be turned into a werewolf. And it's because the three most powerful werewolves are witchborn (Bran, Samuel and Charles).  Bran and Charles could have become witches if they had studied witchcraft but did not want to do that.  So I think the answer is yes.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 04:30:26 pm »
I think Mariposa gave a hint of what a witch could do by being linked with Sarai's wolf. She used the mate/pack bonds and that's pretty scary if a witch could somehow do the same in another pack.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 06:35:21 pm »
I believe in the last book Adam says that anyone who is another kind of supernatural cannot be turned into a werewolf. And it's because the three most powerful werewolves are witchborn (Bran, Samuel and Charles).  Bran and Charles could have become witches if they had studied witchcraft but did not want to do that.  So I think the answer is yes.

Cannot, as in should not.  Not that it isn't possible, just that no one is supposed to knowingly do so.  Doesn't mean it can't happen by accident, my mistake, or by someone who thinks it'd be a good thing to do for some foolish or malicious reason.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 08:21:35 pm »
--as, for instance, Littleton among vampires, yes?

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 08:20:00 am »
Yep, and I also think there's a difference between someone who is witch-born, vx already a witch.  I mean, Bran obviously knew that his children had witch blood, but I am going to presume that Samuel never showed any desire to explore that avenue of his abilities before he was changed.  It seems to me from what has been said in Cry Wolf and from what has been said about Elizaveta and her family, the witches need to be raised in the tradition starting very young, not just have the blood. 

Charles of course was born a wolf, but Bran knew he'd be raised among his mother's people, and so would have that to fall back on and no access to any training in his Grandmother's path.  Seems to me that knowingly changing someone who is already a practicing witch would be a very risky thing. 

lachapakhan

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 07:28:47 pm »
how about half-fae?

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 09:48:47 am »
Probably depends on just how much fae magic they have in them.

Jabulani

• Mechanic
  • Life is waaayyy too short to be grumpy...
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 04:03:38 pm »
The question I have is whether witches are a separate species or just human bloodlines with magical potential? This would answer the question, I think.
I'd rather enjoy life...besides, it costs nothing to smile!!!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 11:23:03 pm »
Er, again, Bran, Charles, and Samuel are the son & grandsons respectively of a witch, and it's in one of the books that if Charles had taken European training, he could have been a witch, so why are we asking this question again?

Jabulani

• Mechanic
  • Life is waaayyy too short to be grumpy...
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 11:28:08 am »
It's a legitimate question, Patti. They all tie in together. If witches are a separate species, then clearly it isn't just humans that can become werewolves. Call it a different approach to or perspective on the question. Or simply call it my need to put in my two cents' worth after such a long absence.
I'd rather enjoy life...besides, it costs nothing to smile!!!

Itsy-Cat

• Mechanic
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 12:28:10 pm »
You know, technically, a species is defined as a group of organisms that can interbreed to produce viable, fertile offspring.

Which means that humans, walkers, werewolves, witches and fae are all the same species.
At least, all of the supernatural types can interbreed with regular humans to produce fertile offspring. I'm not sure about the interbreeding between different supernatural groups.  ???

So far, the only examples of offspring of two different supernatural groups are Charles (werewolf+witch and werewolf+native magic) and possibly Bran, (child of a witch an a werewolf) (assuming that his dad was a werewolf before Bran was born, which we don't know.)
I kind of wonder what happened with Bran's parents etc; from the shifting shadows anthology story, it seemed that Bran's mother didn't used to have complete power over her family (were they all her family?) and Bran's father used to be under his own control, not the witch's, so why did he want to stay with a nasty witch like that anyway? Maybe it started as a relationship something more like the one with that werewolf alpha from Fair Game, (don't remember his name, the one with the dark witch girlfriend, who doesn't think it's a serious relationship, but was warned that the witch wouldn't like the idea of letting a powerful partner go or something?), then got worse and worse? Anyway, I guess that's getting off topic.

But, going back to original point, I don't think that the witches count as a separate species.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 01:48:12 pm »
Species definitions can be a little fluid. Dogs and wolves can interbreed to produce fertile offspring. But witch blood sounds more like a breed distinction, analagous to something like a border collie. The herding instinct is usually but not always innate in that breed, and usually but not always requires training to be expressed appropriately.