Author Topic: Where do urban werewolves hunt?  (Read 5309 times)

Holo

• Tool Wrangler
Where do urban werewolves hunt?
« on: April 08, 2013, 04:02:44 pm »
I remember in Hunting Ground, it was said that the Emerald City pack used a pair of warehouses for hunting. How does this work? Wouldn't werewolves need open forested spaces to hunt? I thought they'd make the trip to Mt. Rainier once a month or something. So how does it work for packs who live in urban areas?

On that same note, how does the Columbia Basin pack hunt? Isn't the area mostly shrubbery which would make them more likely to be seen when hunting?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Where do urban werewolves hunt?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 04:14:13 pm »
Consider the terrain in which Mercy tried to shake off the Fideal during "Iron Kissed"; there is some variation, and it's not flat, so they can spread out.  Further, it's usually night, how many people do you suppose are staring out over the shrub & whatnot at night?

Different packs would have different solutions, depending on their finances, how long they've been in residence (like Leo's Chicago pack had land that had been in their possession for over a hundred years) and how much they really need to kill something.  Some might get by - as Anna would be happy to do - with having one member be "it" and lead the rest on a merry chase, I suspect.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Holo

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 05:04:59 pm »
That's interesting that a pack would play a game of "tag". But wouldn't things get messy? I thought werewolves sometimes get a little too "excited" when they are on the hunt. Could they prevent bloodshed if they participated in that kind of activity?

And thanks for the insight. I was wondering after re-reading Hunting Ground why the Emerald City pack used the warehouses to hunt rather than just making the trip to Mt. Rainier. I guess it helps that while they are big, they can still be seen as very large dogs. I can imagine if they were Twilight-sized wolves then they would not have the same ease with hunting and remaining unseen.

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 05:31:16 pm »
Maybe they just buy a few rabbits from the local pet store?
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 05:42:30 pm »
Depends on how urban the area is.  There is an infestation of rabbits out by North Seattle Community College, from escaped or dumped pet rabbits.  And there are raccoons, possums, coyotes, feral cats & dogs that could be killed without the general populace missing them.

Plus wildfowl.  Nobody around here would mind the Canada Goose population being thinned out every 28 days or so.

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 05:46:10 pm »
If they lived near Rome, GA they could go hunting at Berry College. Tons of land, way more deer than people, and a few albino skunks for those that like to live dangerously.  LOL

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 06:04:07 pm »
and a few albino skunks for those that like to live dangerously

This is possibly the most intriguing sentence fragment I've read all day. Maybe all week.

I just wanted to let you know.

Sorry for the interruption, back to our regularly scheduled programming...
Zoologist. Artist. Athlete.

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 06:08:32 pm »
and a few albino skunks for those that like to live dangerously

This is possibly the most intriguing sentence fragment I've read all day. Maybe all week.

I just wanted to let you know.

Sorry for the interruption, back to our regularly scheduled programming...
LOL I aim to amuse. Seriously, there are albino skunks roaming the campus. I saw one once. I can just picture a new werewolf chasing one, and regretting it later.

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 06:40:08 pm »
Worst. Cat. Ever.  LOL
Zoologist. Artist. Athlete.

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 02:27:01 pm »
 LOL LOL

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 04:01:26 pm »
Getting back to the original question; there are MANY wilderness areas closer than Mt. Rainier near Seattle where the wolves might hunt - but . . . Witnesses, my darlings.
That's the first problem.
Second is - for a werewolf with a more limited income or restricted life due to wr0k schedules, family obligations, etc. getting away for the 2-3 hour drive to Mt. Rainier, the hunt, and the drive back would be pretty tough. 
Then there's the question of "When, in all this, do they get 5-6 hours of sleep so they can look 'normal' to family & neighbors later?

So... no, Rainier isn't the best option for the Seattle pack.

As for the lack of forest in Eastern Washington, do bison live in forest, or on plains? Do wolves not hunt them?  Have you seen the 'maned wolves' of Africa?  Wolves adapt.  Werewolves adapt more.