Author Topic: What are you reading? vol. 9  (Read 180564 times)

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
Re: What are you reading? vol. 9
« Reply #780 on: September 18, 2019, 05:58:22 pm »
derp. 
Apparently I can't read. 

Reidiwr

• Lobo Loco
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #781 on: September 21, 2019, 10:07:18 am »
"If we deviate too much from the storybooks, our magic doesn’t work.” - Patricia Briggs

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #782 on: September 22, 2019, 02:00:43 am »
Tee-hee, I read Nonanal and found that I'm occassionally still in possession of my inner twelve year old. :D

Currently reading "Speaking of Dinosaurs" (what a misleading title) by Philip E. High.
Luckily, there's still some of him out there I haven't read; unluckily they are hard to get a hold of.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #783 on: September 22, 2019, 06:48:23 am »
I finished "Sparrow Hill Road", the Rose Marshall ghost stories by Seanan Maguire, I'm picking at "Terminal Alliance" by Jim C. Hines, the first of the "Janitors of the Apocalypse" books.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

Reidiwr

• Lobo Loco
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #784 on: October 13, 2019, 10:02:05 am »
"If we deviate too much from the storybooks, our magic doesn’t work.” - Patricia Briggs

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #785 on: October 13, 2019, 10:13:57 am »
LOL  Rimshot!

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #786 on: October 13, 2019, 06:44:24 pm »
Well, most of them. More on shelving than on various tables and so forth.

I am currently reading S. M. Stirling's original trilogy of the Change, which started with Island In The Sea Of Time. About to finish the middle book, Against The Tide Of Years. It's a very well-thought-out time travel/alternate history series. Maybe a little more military stuff than I need, but realistically, that's how it would be. This series also has a very nasty sadist, which I definitely don't need, but she's a fairly minor character so I can skim those parts without losing anything of the actual story. I do feel the books would be better off without her; her parts seem a little gratuitous, as there's enough nastiness already going on in the time period in question. However, it's not enough to make me stop reading the books.

Reidiwr

• Lobo Loco
  • ☕ ☮ ☯ ⚣ ⌨
« Reply #787 on: October 13, 2019, 07:28:30 pm »
I put Island In The Sea Of Time in my Audible cart.  :-LOVE Time travel/alternate timeline stories. I’ll give the series a try. :)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #788 on: October 13, 2019, 08:04:39 pm »
Re-reading Silence Fallen.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #789 on: October 13, 2019, 11:24:42 pm »
I just finished three more in the Longmire series. My father has confiscated my Kindle to read them next. He was quite perturbed when he ran it out of juice this afternoon. All fixed before I left for the hotel.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #790 on: October 14, 2019, 06:26:00 am »
I put Island In The Sea Of Time in my Audible cart.  :-LOVE Time travel/alternate timeline stories. I’ll give the series a try. :)

It's probably the best one I've read. Fair warning though: Although two of the main characters are lesbian, and their relationship is lovingly and respectfully depicted, I'm almost two thirds of the way through the series (plus have read another book from a spinoff series) and haven't seen a single gay male character. This is more than a little odd considering the huge cast of characters and the time periods depicted. I guess it's better than a negative depiction, but it's kind of jarring.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #791 on: October 14, 2019, 05:38:58 pm »
Maybe the author has the opposite of Queen Victoria, who wouldn't outlaw same sex female homosexuality, because "women wouldn't do that!"?

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #792 on: October 15, 2019, 07:19:59 am »
He does, at one point early in the first book, have a main male character react to a lesbian by thinking that he's squeamish about male homosexuality, but f/f sexuality doesn't bother him. My guess is that's a stand-in for the author's attitude. He just ignores it because of his own discomfort.

I mean, the series is set on Nantucket. Out of a stated population of 7,000, the most conservative statistical analysis would suggest a minimum of 70-100 gay men. Granted that it starts in the shoulder season, how realistic is it that there's not so much as an interior decorator in sight? They can't all be in the closet.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #793 on: October 16, 2019, 04:34:27 pm »
OK, two thirds of the way through the final book of this trilogy, and a character is revealed, sort of in passing, as a gay man. He is competent and respectable, and has recently broken up with his partner, so that gets the author out of having to get into uncomfortable interactions, I suspect.

katy

• Mechanic
« Reply #794 on: October 16, 2019, 05:44:58 pm »
There is a connected series by the same author, called "The Emberverse" -- the first book I read by S.M. Stirling was the first book in that series, Dies the Fire, and I loved it. Really interesting premise, great worldbuilding, interesting characters... well, I don't know whether I'd like it as much now as I did then (I read it 15 years ago, when it first came out) but I really liked it then.  I went on to read the next several books in that series, as well as the series you're reading, set on Nantucket.  This was the author who finally broke me of being a completist.  Up until the Emberverse, if I liked a series, I'd read everything that author had ever written, if I could get my hands on it. I made it 9 or 10 books in to the Emberverse, a total of probably 15 or so books in the two connected series, and finally gave up. They got very, very repetitive. All warfare, no plot (or at least no new plot that I could detect...). I kept reading far beyond where I should have stopped, because it seemed like they were on the verge of finding out what had happened that caused the whole apocalyptic event at the beginning of both series -- for three books it seemed like they were about to find out at any minute!

Anyhow - if you like the series set on Nantucket, you would likely also like Dies the Fire, and probably the next three or four books after that (maybe more if you really enjoy reading about battles). I like his writing style, and I still like those first books a lot -- but as I think you suspect, he does seem to have some hangups about homosexuality that crop up now and then, and he buys into the idea that in an apocalypse, humans would inevitably form little territorial tribes, many with evil overlords who would try to take over the world by killing off all the competition.