Author Topic: Science and Magic  (Read 5400 times)

Triakel

• Tinker
Science and Magic
« on: January 12, 2008, 03:15:59 am »
[Hope I'm not double-posting, if so, I'm very sorry]

Hi and thank you so much for your wonderful books! Since this is my first post I hope it's ok if I gush a little? I love the Mercy-series (and Bran and company of course) so much that the last sleep-over I had with my little brother (this Christmas, just as I'd read IK), I ended up telling him the entire series as a night-time-story. And that's really when I started formulating all these questions about how-things-work. Oh, and Björn (my brother, who hasn't found urban fantasy yet, probably 'cause I don't think they've translated any into swedish yet, and he hasn't started trying to read in english yet) was totally fascinated, and I've had to promise to keep an eye out if you're going to get translated. Anyway, I've tried to read through as much of the board and chat transcripts as I could this morning, but I didn't find these specific questions, so here goes:

In one post medical research towards imunization and the werewolf-thing was brought up, and this is related, since it's about why the were-women can't have children. I've really been mulling it over and over after Anna's story (probably since I'm just getting to that having-kids-age myself), and I've tried to reason out the science (you know, like Jos Whedon sais, how fan's usually reason out how the "logical windows", (not that I'm suggesting your books have any! I really don't mean to offend!) works out and all), but after my brother-story-telling I finally decided I could just ask.

So, is the reason the werewolves haven't dabbed in Artificial insemination and surrogate mothers because no-one (Samuel) hasn't thought of it yet, or because there is some sort of magic-scientific reason?

What I mean is, from the premiss-ss (?) in the books only (barring what you'll find out as you continue writing the series of course) a female werewolf can get pregnant, and the reason she cannot carry to term is that she has to change during the moon, which causes a miscarriage. So, what keeps my imagination riveted (and which I hope you'll explore more in future books) is the fact that there are witches and fae that might change the magical circumstances, and then there are modern science that could change the physical circumstances.

So even if you haven't thought it all out yet, maybe you will for a later book? Because I spent half the night telling my brother how, if two werwolves had a surrogate mother carry the baby, then maybe they could at least have a human baby. Or, if they could somehow, maybe by witch or fae magic, keep the mum from chaning during month 4, 5 and 6, they could induce the labour early (a bit risky for the baby, but the last trimester the baby only grows, and that's why medical science is so much better at saving earlier and earlier born babies). Oh, and apart from North-american-native-magic-creatures like Mercy, and European-magical-creatures like werewolves, vamps and the fae, there could be African, Asian, Australian and maybe even South american magic creatures. The possibilites are endless... And if the werewolves were really serious about their childless-ness they should breed into the witches etc.

Ok, one last thing one might have to deal with for a "comprehensive-theory-of-Briggs-magical-science" (sounds like one of my textbooks, lol), we know Charles was born a werwolf, and that his mother kept from changin in order for him to be born. But how could he be born a werewolf if she hadn't changed during the moons? Wouldn't he have changed every full moon inside her belly? And, ok, it might work when he was small, but the last couple of moons, wouldn't a baby-turning-into-a-wolf-cub inside her tummy rip her apart? I look at my cousin, who is pregnant, and no way her baby can even turn without her feeling it. I hear soon we might even be able to see it from the outside. But maybe the woomb protects the baby from the draw of the moon?... sounds poetic at least.

Ok, I'm gonna stop now. Thank you so much in advance, weather you can, or have time, to answer, because after reading the message board I feel certain later books will give me more tantalizing hints of this great world you've built (and I've gotten the impression you are just the kind of author who thinks about these things). World-building, that's why I love Fantasy! (well part of the reason anyway)

Lots of warm greetings from Stockholm (hope you're having a better winter than us. ours is wet! no snow! bloody global warming...)
Lina :-)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:56:18 pm by Elle »
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government... you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
Re: Science and Magic
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 10:56:35 pm »
Dear Triakel,

Gushing is always appreciated <grin>

Mostly the surrage mother thing has been a matter of timing.  Samuel is the only doctor (except for one poor newbie in Chicago) the werewolves have.  His clinic isn't set up for this yet -- and there are some questions.  (This is off the top of my head.  If I decide to go this route, I'll sit my sister the doctor down and pick her brains).  First, if the surrogate mother is carrying by embrio transplant the child of a werewolf mother and father --  then she might stand a chance of catching whatever it is that turns people in to werewolves.  If they use her egg and the werewolf's sperm, then she has the same trouble any human mother of a werewolf's child does -- a high rate of spontaneous abortion  -- unless they learn how to tell which embrios are infected by the werewolf gene.

As far as Charles's mother goes -- none of the characters really know how she did it, but I can tell you that the same magic she used to halt her own changes, also kept Charles from changing in the womb.

Best,
Patty