Author Topic: Mercyverse Anthology Discussion  (Read 15405 times)

lostbird

• Mechanic
  • (sigh....)
Re: Mercyverse Anthology Discussion
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 07:48:39 am »
Whatever sensibilities Bran has developed on the topic of women, spouses, pack which he feels so very responsible for, marriage in general etc... it is no doubt affected by his wolf.  We shouldn't forget that people's individual wolves affect the actions of the were.  Wolves in the wild are said to mate for life, but that doesn't mean they don't assert their dominance by having sex with other wolves....

I'm remembering that on at least 2 occasions (in A&O and HG), Charles admits to have taken as "lovers" Leo's mate, Isabelle, and Dana O'Shea (a Fay gray lord). In both respects, he makes it clear to Anna that he was simply intrigued that Isabelle, an alpha-mated female, would be interested in an affair as a means of getting her way (I think he said it was no more than an itch that he scratched); and Dana was a matter of curiosity. It seems pretty reasonable to me, then, that there have been other lovers in *his* past--he's been alive for almost 300 years and a healthy male has needs! It also occurs to me that other werewolves are probably not so different from Charles on that score.

So I think this is what led me to extrapolate from Charles when considering what the Marrok's past love life might look like, and why Patti L's thought--that Bran may have had other "mates" and children--kind of blew my mind for a moment. Bran, who has been alive for almost 3 times as long as Charles, is a dominant werewolf who must certainly have wanted to scratch his itch every once in awhile before he was mated (and maybe after, tho I don't like to think about that). But I've never envisioned him as having had mates in the past. Just like Charles believed he might never find a mate (and had resigned himself to that until he met Anna), so, too, Bran's intensity around not allowing himself to love anyone again seems to only have surfaced after the loss of Bluejay Woman, the love of his life. Like Charles and his Anna, meeting Bluejay Woman may have been the thing that changed Bran from a werewolf who takes lovers as the spirit moves him to a werewolf who has experienced true love and loss and is afraid to go there again lest he lose control.

As for other children? I don't see this at all. Bran said something once about Samuel being a stronger person than him, implying that Samuel has had to kill at least one of his own children in his past. I took that to also mean that Bran himself has not been in that situation. I can't imagine Bran would have living children that he doesn't interact with in any way. Bran has a VERY strong sense of family.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:57:40 am by lostbird »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2013, 08:30:38 am »
The "healthy male has needs" aspect is what I was referring to.  And again, especially for one of the really long lived werewolves like Bran, Samuel, (maybe not so much Asil, at least after he met Sarai), even Peter before he met Honey, it's perfectly reasonable to expect they might have wives - not mates! - and fake their deaths, move on after 15-20 years, sequentially.  And it's entirely possible that "healthy male appetites" and more casual encounters could have produced entirely human children whom the werewolves in question either couldn't bear to try to change, or who they (casual encounters!) didn't know existed.
But mostly I was saying that Bran surely wasn't celibate between Samuel's mother's death and Blue Jay Woman's discovery.
Werewolf magic keeps them in the seeming & medical condition of someone in their early twenties, right?  Show me a human in that age range that doesn't have plenty of sexual urges.  And... "Uncle Wriggly", a.k.a. Mrs. Rosie Palm will only satisfy that so far.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 05:52:36 pm »
I'm not sure if this should go into the media category or here, but out of curiosity - do you all think they'll be doing an audio version of this one, or leaving the audios with their respective original anthologies? Or do you think they'll redo them?

Random, incoherent, poorly-placed comment of the day!  :-[
Zoologist. Artist. Athlete.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2013, 06:03:35 pm »
They did one for the novella for A&O so I def suspect so!!!!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 10:47:28 am »
Oooh, interesting thought Baum Diggity!  I wonder if they'll have one narrator do them all or alternate between Lorelei King andHolter Graham because some of the characters I can't imagine having anyone but the established narrators read them.  I suppose they could just pull the previously recorded stories and re-compile them for the anthology, then have the new stories read by whoever, but Holter Graham is awesome at the stories with and the voice for Charles, and Lorelei King has such an ear for the voices in the stories with Mercy and company in them.   

In the Mercy books I completely forget it's just one person reading all the Fae characters like Zee and Uncle Mike etc, and it's immediately clear which pack member is talking when Ms King is reading.  The only voice/accent I thought was off in Frost Burned was Asil's and honestly, it's probably because Asil generally *belongs* to the A&O category and those *should* be read by Mr Graham!  Of course I know there's no *should* about it, it's just my perception which I need to adjust!     
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2013, 03:46:22 pm »
And then there was.....it wasn't Graham, I think.....who did Warren? That was really good :)

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2013, 08:55:22 pm »
I wasn't personally that impressed with Ms. King's reading.  But! I only rarely find an audiobook I can stand.  I think a big part of the issue is that I don't like it when the reader does different voices for different characters. Or at least not when they make it super obvious.  To me it sounds cheesy/overdone... and it certainly doesn't match up with the way the characters sound in my head. 

But I tolerate male readers better than female readers.  Maybe I'll have to try to get an A&O audiobook...

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2013, 03:56:33 am »
It did bother me at first, but eventually the story sucks me in and I don't pay attention to it - at least, when it's not the really overdone ones (I'll admit, Stefan and Asil in the new one got to me - especially after Patty mentioned at the signing that Stefan sounded like Count Chocula  LOL).

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2013, 08:49:54 pm »
Count Chocula, LOL
It's difficult for me to focus on audiobooks.  Even as a kid... when Mom or Dad read to us (as happened a LOT), I had to be reading over their shoulders, or I'd get frustrated and bored.  And Mom only did voices for characters when she was trying to be cute, which always felt super patronizing.

But we're getting well off-topic.  I think there's an audiobooks thread somewhere. 

Werewolf magic keeps them in the seeming & medical condition of someone in their early twenties, right?  Show me a human in that age range that doesn't have plenty of sexual urges.  And... "Uncle Wriggly", a.k.a. Mrs. Rosie Palm will only satisfy that so far.
*ahem*
...*sighs and wanders away*

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2013, 07:19:57 am »
Yeah, sorry to pull us off topic. Though the topic was getting a bit odd, in the first place... ???

You know someone I'd like to see a short story on? Darryl. I want to know what his backstory is.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2013, 08:25:32 am »
Mary Jo. How old is she?  How did she get turned?  Is she anything like as traumatized as Anna, Sage, Honey?  - I could ask some of the same abut Darryl's mate, but the single female interests me more.
Sanity on loan. Call back next year.

charmed

• Mechanic
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2013, 09:45:45 am »
Backstory on Peter - being turned, learning to fight with a sword or his meeting Honey.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2013, 06:42:21 am »
Oooh, those would both be excellent backstories - especially Mary Jo. I mean, her name makes me sort of think 50s, but I dunno...

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2013, 05:41:29 pm »
I'm curious about Mary Jo, too. It's interesting that she's an EMT, since werewolves and blood and pain are usually not a good combination.
I'll be happy with pretty much any character that we get a story about. Patty makes all her characters intriguing, even the ones that just show up briefly.
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

Baum Diggity

• Mechanic
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2013, 06:05:47 pm »
True story, Kkat!  :D