Author Topic: Mercyverse Anthology Discussion  (Read 30407 times)

lostbird

• Mechanic
  • (sigh....)
Re: Mercyverse Anthology Discussion
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 01:21:20 pm »
http://lisettebes.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/author-signing-patricia-briggs-with.html
Is this right? She suggests a story about when Bran became a werewolf could be happening... bOuNcY

Uh oh ... mentioned in that article: "...we'll get to see Ariana & Samuel's story, Asil & Kara's story, and we'll finally get to hear about Bran's werewolf transformation."

With regard to "Asil & Kara's story," does she mean Asil's story and Kara's story (separately) or them together? I guess I would assume separately since the last time we saw her, Kara was a kid and the only female ever mentioned around Asil is/was Sage.

Just looking for clarification ...  8)

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 02:00:56 pm »
The time hasn't moved that far off, Kara is probably still 14 years old... and mentioning two names together doesn't mean they are going to have any kind of romantic "story" about them.  Kara and Asil could have plenty of interaction of an interesting sort, there's nothing quite like a stubborn and/or curious teenager to irritate someone like Asil and make life interesting.  Get your minds out of the gutter Hurogs!
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 02:04:03 pm »
I was thinking of mentor/student relationship, or 'assigned & POed babysitter' relationship, myself, and the way it was said, one story about the two of them.
There's Leah as well as Honey in that pack, and others, i *think* because of the way Mercy phrased her comments on how Leah influenced the females were/human in Aspen Creek while Mercy was there.
It's a leap year. Sanity is in short supply.  You can't have mine.

lostbird

• Mechanic
  • (sigh....)
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 02:14:44 pm »
I was thinking of mentor/student relationship, or 'assigned & POed babysitter' relationship, myself, and the way it was said, one story about the two of them.
There's Leah as well as Honey in that pack, and others, i *think* because of the way Mercy phrased her comments on how Leah influenced the females were/human in Aspen Creek while Mercy was there.

Is this a different Honey than the Columbia Basin pack??? I don't recall any female wolves besides Sage, Anna, and Leah.

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 02:17:06 pm »
Suspect she misspoke about Honey Lostbird. 

lostbird

• Mechanic
  • (sigh....)
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 02:38:48 pm »
Okay, well I'm just putting this out there: I would love to see Asil and Sage together. They're both wounded wolves and every scene they're in together just seems to resonate with a deep understanding and acceptance. I think they would work as a mated pair. Maybe not be exciting enough for adventures, but if Asil *is* acting as mentor/teacher to Kara, and he's done the same for Anna, he seems to be moving into a role within the Marrok pack that was previously filled by Samuel. I'd like to see him completely happy and knowing his place, besides being one of the few wolves that knows how to tweak Bran when he's being churlish.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 02:55:28 pm »
Yes, I meant Sage, not Honey.  Sorry.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 07:46:07 pm »
I could see Kara and Asil having something of an "indulgent grandfather/unruly (adopted) granddaughter" relationship.  With Bran playing the part of the parent trying to keep some semblance of control over the situation.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 10:28:40 pm »
 LOL Poor Bran!

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 06:04:06 am »
I can see that! Hey, it's not like Bran isn't used to that role. :D
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 09:31:24 am »
After all, he's lived HOW long?  You don't think Sam & Charles's mothers & Leah are the only women he's lived/had children with, do you?

lostbird

• Mechanic
  • (sigh....)
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 09:37:16 am »
Hahah, you just blew my mind! I really hadn't thought about it, maybe because of how intense he is about ... well ... everything. The only "female" anyone ever talks about is Bluejay Woman. Even Samuel only ever remarks about her or "grandmother." I would lovelovelove to know what happened to Bran's human wife (mother of Samuel). But I could see Bran not having taken a mate until BJW ... just having lovers as he needed. And I don't know why, but I envision him not wanting a human as a mate because of how much he is capable of loving someone and how fragile human existence is.

I guess I'm a romantic ...  9)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 09:50:00 am »
Maybe it took him a while to learn that wisdom... although, if I'm not mistaken, Mercy mentions in Moon Called that most werewolves take human spouses, but don't take them as full fledged mates.  They're... convenient, and maybe even loved, but not entwined in the werewolf's souls.  Mercy's foster-parents and the couple at the funeral of Doc Wallace are exceptions to that behavior, I think.  The modern habit of marrying & divorcing within 3-15 years (seven year itch, anyone?) would make this easier, and the werewolf could move on before anyone noticed "you haven't aged a day, but Sissy is looking older than you now!"

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 07:11:18 pm »
*frowning*
I can understand the older wolves not wanting to dwell much on their former spouses, simply on the basis of not wanting to bring up too much old sorrow, and a general dislike of discussing the past... but I don't think that they're marrying merely for convenience and I don't think divorcing after a few years is something they'd be planning for or find convenient. 

Remember how restless Adam was in that first flashback Mercy got from him in SB?  Because he no longer had a spouse and his daughter was gone, as well... Seems like they'd want to minimize the number of losses, even of spouses who were not their mates. 

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 05:30:02 am »
Several things...  it all depends on how people are raised.  Adam was born in the 40s and raised in a time when women were treated very different and marriages were less disposable.  (Not that many still don't feel that way, but it is a bit less so these days.)

Over the centuries, customs and attitudes have been extremely different in many places and times.  Mostly, marriages may have been considered forever, but men of were generally NOT expected to respect the fidelity of marriage... women of course were.  We could go on and on about history and such, and while I don't have Mercy's degree in History (WITH a capital H) but I have always loved it and paid attention to it.  Various cultures over the centuries had very different standards, and money cured many a moral even when that was a factor, which it hasn't always mattered all that much.  Bran may be protective, but he is also supremely practical, so while he feels the need to have a mate now because of various events in his past, we shouldn't assume that this was always the case, or that every Were feels or at least always feels that way.

Whatever sensibilities Bran has developed on the topic of women, spouses, pack which he feels so very responsible for, marriage in general etc... it is no doubt affected by his wolf.  We shouldn't forget that people's individual wolves affect the actions of the were.  Wolves in the wild are said to mate for life, but that doesn't mean they don't assert their dominance by having sex with other wolves, and I won't get much further into that here... besides, we shouldn't forget that these are NOT wild wolves, though some things may bleed over, mostly not.

Then, while I won't assume all men are dogs... I'm old and have seen much evidence that they frequently are perfectly willing to take advantage of any, many, all, or most opportunities for casual sex without much trouble.  Notice, I said frequently and not always!!  Don't jump at me about how you, your father, fiance, husband, brother, whatever aren't "that" way please!  It happens, that's all I'm saying, and weres aren't perfect.