Author Topic: Gay Romance  (Read 3304 times)

Jabulani

• Mechanic
  • Life is waaayyy too short to be grumpy...
Gay Romance
« on: October 31, 2012, 01:21:15 am »
I am currently reading a gay romance novel by Sara York, namely 'Texas Rough' in the Texas Soul series. Thus far, it's turned out to be one of the better novels in the sub-genre I have discovered to date. Anyone else read it?

Also, other suggestions & commentary is welcome, of course... ;D

Okay, update time. Just finished the book & I have to say, it is definitely a purchase that's well worth the money I spent on it. I am happy to recommend it to everyone who are into the sub-genre. The characters are well-developed, the intimacy is authentic, the sex is hot & the story is rich in engaging sub-plots.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 02:33:46 am by Jabulani »
I'd rather enjoy life...besides, it costs nothing to smile!!!

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Re: Gay Romance
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 11:22:28 pm »
I've read quite a few M/M romances, not that one though. :D If you like westerns I'd recommend Marathon Cowboys by Sarah Black. Wonderful book.

I'll check out York's book though.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 05:29:45 am »
Just came across an author I have enjoyed and not mentioned, Kim Dare. She has several series, I have only read two of them, but found them quite readable.

Jabulani

• Mechanic
  • Life is waaayyy too short to be grumpy...
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 11:07:46 pm »
I love Kim Dare AND Sarah Black...they're both awesome authors. Haven't read Marathon Cowboys yet, though. I'll do so once I have some money again.

Janilee knows this already, Elle, but in my considered opinion the very best in the m/m western romance (the entire m/m romance sub-genre, for that matter) is 'Let It Go' by Mercy Celeste. It is just packed with all kinds of emotion, but I warn you, it is an exhausting read emotionally. Not for the fainthearted at all.
I'd rather enjoy life...besides, it costs nothing to smile!!!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 12:59:13 pm »
Any recipe that starts with half a pound of butter... LOL

I've read a few gay romances - will have to check authors on a couple I liked.  I skip the sex scenes (which I also do in hetero-romance novels) so I can't speak to that.  But interesting plots/characters. 

One relationship that always bugged me though was the last book of the Kiesha'ra by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (YA, so no explicit sex scenes).  I felt like the relationship was set up very platonically and that both the author and the character decided to force it to be sexual at the last second in order to avoid a choice between the male suitors. 
Contrast that with Daja from Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic series (which is aimed at a slightly younger audience yet, so also no explicit sex) where it is set up very obviously as a teenage girl realizing that she's sexually attracted to other girls and having her first girlfriend.  It surprised me, but I didn't feel like it was a cop-out. 

Grandpappy Wycked

• Pack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 10:59:58 am »
One you might find of interest Kyria is by Marie Sexton

Promises
Jared Thomas has lived his whole life in the small mountain town of Coda,Promises Colorado. He can’t imagine living anywhere else. Unfortunately, the only other gay man in town is twice his age and used to be his teacher, so Jared is resigned to spending his life alone.

Until Matt Richards walks into his life, that is. Matt has just been hired by the Coda Police Department, and he and Jared immediately become friends. Matt claims he is straight, but for Jared, having a sexy friend like Matt is way too tempting. Facing Matt’s affair with a local woman, his disapproving family, and harassment from Matt’s co-workers, Jared fears they’ll never find a way to be together—if he can even convince Matt to try.

Paperback ISBN: ISBN: 978-1-61581-378-0

eBook ISBN: 978-1-61581-379-7

It is the first book of a series, I have not had the opportunity to read any of the others. (since my injury, reading has been difficult, hence the big use of Audible lately.) The actual sex scenes are sparse, but the tension and dynamics between the characters is very compelling and believable.
http://worgenspandasgnomesohmy.tumblr.com/
((some content may not be safe for work))